Answer That And Stay Fashionable Review

8.7
 8.2
 9.1
Answer That And Stay Fashionable Reviewed by: afirocker00, on june 21, 2004

Sound: If you want hardcore punk, buy this album! This is a great album to launch the career of an excellent band. The bass sounds great on this album and it's something you can actually hear unlike a lot of other bands out there today whoses bassists sound absent. This album is obviously driven by artists like Rancid and if you're into them, this is for you. If you need something to pump you up and sing along to, pop this in and you're on your way! // 10

Lyrics: Davey Havok, lead singer, has always had a great and unique voice. Kind of a whiny yet hard at the same time sound that really stands out to you. This voice mixed in with the fast-paced music creates an awesome sound. The lyrics are a lot lighter and funnier than the newer albums which are pretty dark and gloomy. It's pure punk rock!Songs that make no sense and at the same time touch you, and a few of the songs do make perfect sense. The lyrics seem to be written really quickly and without much thought or effort to someone who doesnt read between the lines, but they truly describe life in general. // 10

Overall Impression: Nothing can top this album in my opinion, nothing. This is a must buy for any hardcore-punk fan. If you're an MTV maniac who sees Avril and Simple Plan as punk, don't get this one, you don't deserve it and two, it's not you! If you're not like that and you are thinking about getting this album, get it! If you're at all interested in afi or any punk band, get it! Just get it! Must get, must buy! I absolutely love this cd, if I lost it I'd have to rush right out and re-buy it! Afi rules! // 10

Answer That And Stay Fashionable Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2004

Sound: Afi's one of my favorite punk bands because they stand out from other bands. Their sound (I think) is great with bass-heavy riffs and melodies and their heavily distorted guitar. Their sound is unique because Afi's bassist gets to some bass solos as the intros of some songs on the album. The guitarist has some awesome punk riffs that make the band sound tough. The singer's voice is so different from every other singer that I'll have to say that Davey Havok (Afi's vocalist) is one of the best vocalists of all time. I think Afi's best sound comes from this album (unlike the album Sing the Sorrow which I think contains their worst sound because Afi left punk and started to play goth rock stuff that's just too depressing). Answer That And Stay Fashionable's sound is just plain awesome! // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were outstanding just like the sound. Davey sings about a variety of things from breakfast cereal to wanting a Mohawk but your mom won't let you get one. I really liked Cereal Wars because I thought it was clever and funny. Overall the lyrics made me have a good time listening to the album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely Afi's best album ever (so far). If it was stolen from me I would definitely buy it again. My favorite songs on the album are Cereal Wars, I Wanna Mohawk, Your Name Here, The Checkered Demon, Highschool Football Hero, and Kung-Fu Devil. If You like hardcore punk this album is definitely for you. Buy this cd today! // 10

Answer That And Stay Fashionable Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Sound: Afi in my opinion is one of the best bands ever. I love the sound of every Afi album wheather its darker or more upbeat. This was their first and best album. The sound was really good if you're into hardcore punk. The sound may have been choppy, but thats what makes this album so good. I think this album has some great bass lines especially in "Cereal Wars". // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were immature, but then I thought I am immature so it didn't bother me. The lyrics went with the music very well. Davey Havok's singing skills weren't very good in this album but his screaming wakes you up and pumps you up. My favorite lyrics in this cd were in the song "Don't Make Me Ill" when they say "no one's gonna tell me, I'm gonna do it my way. no ones gonna tell me how to get it done." That is the kind of punk rebelion every punk band should have. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first listened to this cd I didnt like it at all but I kept listening to it and now I love it. I love everything about this album. This is a must have for anybody who listens to hardcore punk. If this album was ever stolen I would get off my ass and go buy it again. // 10

Answer That And Stay Fashionable Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 28, 2005

Sound: Great sound. There is no way to describe this album. Its genre is unknown to anyone who listens to it. Jade is a master guitarist. Punk guitarist or not who is one of the top five ever. Hunter great bassist. Adam is a master at drums and this album proves it. This CD is all halloween time theme and is perfect for September through November time. It gives chills and thrills. No halloween album can beat it. // 10

Lyrics: Perfect lyrics. The lyrcis make the music pop out and destroy your summer time thinking and throw you into fall no matter what time of it is. Davey Havok in my opinion is one of the top 3 singers of all time. His range is great so no one can copy it. // 10

Overall Impression: Number two on my top 10 albums. One of the most impressive EP's ever. The most impressive songs are all of them. I love everything about this album. If it was stolen or lost I'd first buy a new one then find the guy who stole it steal everything he owned then ask how he rated the album. // 10

Answer That And Stay Fashionable Reviewed by: *Truly Ninja*, on december 25, 2003

Sound: This is AFI's first album, and the sound of it is mostly limited to the gut-churning sounds of shredding power chords played by a strat on its bridge pickup. The guitar parts on this album actually gave me an upset stomach. The guitarist who plays on their newer albums, Jade Puget, isn't present to lend this album his dark-edged haunting guitar playing. the bassist, however, is clearly skilled and innovative on this album, and the bass lines are always the most pleasurable things to listen to. // 2

Lyrics: Today, singer and lyricist Davey Havok is a poet. On this album, however, he was immature and a bit unskilled. There are songs on this album about breakfast cereal AND why jocks are stupid and should die. On the aforementioned breakfast cereal track, he makes this remark about a make-believe cereal called "erotic chocolates": "It's got a condom in the box." Come on, man, grow up. Also, he has yet to find the eerie high-pitched squeal that he has refined so well on their newer releases. Instead, he mostly just screams, which I suppose fits the speed-punk of the rest of the album. // 4

Overall Impression: One of the guiding questions for writing this section is, "If it were stolen/losted, would you buy it again or get something else?" That is irrelevant, because, after a few listens, I decided to give it to my friend for his birthday. Frankly, unless you have some special purpose of buying this record, its not worth spending any money on. I am not much of a fan of any AFI record, but this one is positively their worst. // 2

Answer That And Stay Fashionable Reviewed by: Truth Seeker, on july 27, 2006

Sound: What in the world happened to you guys? You were so good! Back in the day, when they still had their skate punk sound, AFI created Answer That and Stay Fashionable. Although, the first album I ever heard of theirs was Sing the Sorrow, I can now officially say that this one tops it. Why? Because it is good old-fashioned skate punk. It's not all that creative, nor is it varying, but when you just want hop on your board and go, it gets the job done. No gimmicks, just some straight out hardcore/skate punk, which is my personal preference. It works for them. // 8

Lyrics: Although in some cases dealing with wanting mohawks and cereal, it is still your typical, poetic AFI lyrics. Davey has always been poetic, and you can tell it on this album. The topics on it vary from high school football heroes, cereal, staying in bed, and just plain angst. As for Davey's singing skills, there are few. He tends to scream a lot, in this album (which is normal for the genre) rather than sing. But, it does go well with the style of music that they played at the time. // 9

Overall Impression: This album only helps to show what a drastic change this band has gone through: from punk to not. I don't really know how to describe them now. Maturity and change is welcome in bands, but it is also nice to hear who they were before that change. I love this album for its hardcore edge and its angsty feel--and on occasion, comic aspect (i.e. "Cereal Wars" and "I Wanna Get A Mohawk") which is rather lacking on their later albums. This album should be known for that at least. If this album were stolen or lost, I would most definitely buy it again, or even steal it if I had to. It's just good. // 9

Answer That And Stay Fashionable Reviewed by: dltpbkguitarist, on april 16, 2007

Sound: Now, When you thin of AFI most probaly think of all of thier music sounding like the album decemberunderground or sing the sorrow. But back in the day when AFI was just getting started their sound is completley diffrent. Completley. Thier old music is more punk and very fast. Now this is their very first album. And I think it's the best work they've ever produced so far. Overall I think that, this album will completely alter your universal idea of the band that you know as AFI. // 9

Lyrics: Now I think that the lyrics aren't very deep or hold a true meaning to them but they go great with the music. I mean in one song they talk about cereal. And although the lyrics don't have a indepth meaning they still just go great. And Davey Havok's true voice was his punk voice. // 3

Overall Impression: I really think it will completley revolutionize your general idea of AFI. this resembles nothing of the current day AFI, in my opinion it's much better. Two good songs from the album are Cereal Wars and also I Wanna Mohawk (But Momma Won't Let Me Get One). If this album was out of my posession I would definetily but it agian time after time, plus it's cheap because I'ts so old. Overall get this album. // 9

Answer That And Stay Fashionable Reviewed by: barnaby!!!, on january 21, 2008

Sound: AFI's first album is definitely hardcore punk. But contrary to bands like Minor Threat and Black Flag, they actually have melody, which was, and still is among the few hardcore bands left, innovative and original. The guitar riff of "I Wanna Get A Mohawk(But Mom Won't Let Me)" is only three chords, but is one of the few punk riffs that gets stuck in your head. Also contrary to typical punk, the bass is audible. Several of the songs intros are all bass-and-drum. Overall, it's an incredibly unique sound in the field of punk rock. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't exactly top-notch, as it is with almost all hardcore punk bands, but the messages still get across, such as rebelling against your parents in the aforementioned "Mohawk." Davey Havok's voice is excellent on this record, with the only flaw being that the screams in 'Open Your Eyes' are a little immature and inexperienced, but it WAS only their second record(they had an EP before this). // 5

Overall Impression: All in all, it's a good album to buy if you're, say, a Green Day or a Decemberunderground-AFI fan, this is a good step into heavier, harder hitting punk. Definitely worth buying. It's also funny every now and then with the clips of some radio show the band listened to around this time, which is a plus, and a light inside all of the dark, negative themes that surround hardcore punk. Great debut for a great band. // 8

More Afi reviews rating latest review
+ Burials 7.7 10/21/2013