Black Sails In The Sunset Review

9.7
 9.4
 9.9
Black Sails In The Sunset Reviewed by: punksnafu, on february 24, 2004

Sound: Even now, AFI is an extremely prominent band in the hardcore/punk scene, even after branching out into more experimental types of music with 'Sing the Sorrow'. Black Sails was AFI's first album with the new line-up (Hunter/bass and Jade/guitar), and also when they found their defined style beyond their early compilations of all their straight-punk material. All aspects of AFI, whether it be lyrics or instrumentals, is extremely well written out and sounds exceptional, and all members of the band are extremely talented in their parts. Extremely well thought out, creative lines and songs make this album an extremely memorable one. // 10

Lyrics: This album has some incredible lyrics within it, and they fit extremely well with the music. Davey Havok is easily one of the best punk/hardcore singers alive, so there is no doubt the singing on this record is phenomenal. // 10

Overall Impression: Although each AFI album is unique and amazing, this one stands out especially for me. Obviously it has the hit and concert-ender, "God Called In Sick Today" and other favourites like "Prayer Position", but even the less-recognized tracks are easily favourites of many. "Clove Smoke Catharsis", "Malleus Maleficarum" and others are very cool tracks. There is not a minute in the album I would rather pay attention doing something else during, this album is an easy-listener any time, and definitely one of my top 10's. This album is a must-have for any punk/hardcore fan! // 10

Black Sails In The Sunset Reviewed by: Torn, on april 16, 2004

Sound: Overall this album is my favourite, not by much though as they have some other great albums that I own. This was the third album that I picked up from AFI(First was The Art of Drowning) and the general sound in general I found very appealing and was their best piece of work that I've heard. They have a great range from the chanting introduction: Strength Through Wounding and the fast past punk songs such as "At A Glance", "Porphyria" and "Narrative of Soul Against Soul" to the melancholic slow songs such as: "Clove Smoke Catharis" and my favourite "God Called in Sick Today" // 10

Lyrics: Davey, like every other AFI album, sings perfectly fitting with the music, the lyrics and the entire album in general. His lyrics are excellent, although I don't find that they are as good as some of his other works that have appeared upon 'The Art of Drowning' and 'Sing the Sorrow'. The lyrics range slightly over the course of the album but tend to maintain the same feel and style keeping it consistent. // 10

Overall Impression: Great album altogether, every AFI fan should pick up this album. Whether you like their newer releases or their older releases this album is for you. Favourite songs: The Last Kiss, At A Glance, God Called in Sick Today, Porphyria and Midnight Sun (Hidden Track, roughly 10 minutes into God Called in Sick Today). // 10

Black Sails In The Sunset Reviewed by: nephelim, the, on june 02, 2005

Sound: Being one of AFI's 'new style' CDs, they began to lose their punk style here, and picked up on deeper, better sounds. This CD also marked the era of AFI getting their new guitarist Jade, who completely revolutionized AFI's sound. This one is a lot different from the previous album "Shut your mouth and open your eyes," but you can still tell it's AFI. The songs are extrodinarily origional, even though they seldomly rhyme, but you'll hardly notice. I would be lieing if I said none of the songs sound the same, because a couple of them do sound quite similar, but it also has two of AFI's best songs "God Called In Sick Today," and "The Prayer Position" which both are so unique, and much different than AFI's other songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. If you know AFI, you know that Davey Havok is a brilliant writer. Though they only rhyme some times, the lyrics are very poetic and brought a new life to AFI's music. The lyrics go very well with newfound guitarist Jade's style of playing. Havok also began to sing very well on this CD, not to say he wasn't good on the previous releases, but he was really good on this one. // 10

Overall Impression: Though Black Sails is a great album, it would be a better choice to pick up "The Art Of Drowning" before this one, assuming you have only heard sing the sorrow, because this one is way different from it, and the art of drowning kindof blends the two together rather well. If you do decide to buy this CD, I would reccomend "Narrative Of Soul Against Soul," "Malleus Malifecarum," "The Prayer Position" and "God called In Sick Today." Those are my favorites, and the prayer position is one of my favorite AFI tracks I've heard. The best thing about this CD is how better they got over the small break between "shut your mouth" and this. Old AFI fans might not have liked the change much, because they didn't do so much punk in this one, but new AFI fans will love it. It's definately worth buying, but it doen't stack up to All Hallows, Sing The Sorow, or The Art Of Drowning. // 8

Black Sails In The Sunset Reviewed by: mint_car, on february 14, 2006

Sound: When I heard "Black Sails In The Sunset" my first impression was'nt very good, but after everytime I've heard it I just love it more. The first 6 numbers are quite good, the last 6 are fantastic. more basicly the music is hardcore punk. Davey Havoc's light voice is a contrast to Jades guitar that is quite heavy with a lot of barre and powerchords. That combined with the drums that is after my oppinion the best drums they've have composed, I'm quite a noob for bass, but it sounds great. // 9

Lyrics: As always davey havoc's lyrics is very complicated, and hard to understand, but that's not negative, it just means you have to listen harder to get the point in the lyrics. The lyrics and the music fits perfectly together on this album and it is clear that they have focussed alot on that. The lyrics are on "Black Sails In The Sunset" without doubt the most important thing, compared to "Sing The Sorrow" where the guitar have more influence. Davey Havoc is a fantastic singer and lyric writer, he have a light voice, and he is cleary a very skilled singer. // 10

Overall Impression: It's hard to pick out few numbers that is better than the others, becouse the album is so complete, I cant pick out things I would say they could have done better, but the songs that maybe have a little more energy than the others is "Malleus Maleficarum," "The Prayer Position" and "God Called In Sick Today." // 10

Black Sails In The Sunset Reviewed by: Royal_Guitarist, on may 17, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is somehow different to the earlier albums Very Proud of Ya! and Answer That and Stay Fashionable. This because of that AFI changed their lineup when making this album. They are playing in almost the same tempo, a little bit more focused and less thrashy guitars and Davey Havok is taking higher tones in his singing, still using his loud punk voice. The drums are playing fast and tight, still surprising me how good Adam plays the percs. I like the introduction of the CD, first playing Strength Through Wounding track and immediately changing to the fast and loud song Porphyria Cutanea Tarda. Really impressive. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good. I like them alot, they're really fun to sing along to. They match the music perfectly and gives a deep and somehow religious meaning to the songs. For an example, "Through our bleeding, we are one" on the Strength Through Wounding track which I personally thinks is relative to the meaning that we are all a part of the same world, and that we through all accidents or depressions we will not lose each other as friends. We stick together and help each other as a team through it all. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a sign of maturity from AFI. If you compare this CD to the earlier material, listen to it and you will know what I mean! The most impressive songs from this CD is definitely Strength Through Wounding, a wonderful intro song, Porphyria, Prayer Position, The Last Kiss and God Called in Sick Today. I love their new sound, the intro of the CD and the ending of it with God Called In Sick Today, I love the enhanced guitar sound, Davey's new singing style and everything. I hate that I don't get the name of the CD, why is it really called Black Sails in The Sunset? // 9

Black Sails In The Sunset Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2003

Sound: AFI are by far one of the best punk/hardcore bands around right now... This album is no exception... It was their first album with Jade as the guitarist, and it just proves that he made AFI even better... The sound quality is amazing, and I love this band because their music never seems to sound the same... It's always something new every CD, nothing becomes monotonous... // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, as always with AFI, are puzzling... Davey uses a lot of metaphoric phrases in his writing, and it takes a while to figure out what he's talking about... And really, no one but him can ever know what he's REALLY talking about... His voice is amazing, and it's nice to hear a hardcore band with a singer that can really sing... // 10

Overall Impression: This album, though not their best, is still one of the greatest punk/hardcore cd's ever put out... With all credit due, the band put a considerable amount of effort into making this album, and it came out flawless... They managed to somehow make a punk rock album that sounds punk and doesn't at the same time... Good job, guys... // 10

Black Sails In The Sunset Reviewed by: Offspringer2004, on august 04, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is great. I think this is their first cd with Jade on guitars and you can totally tell. I love his guitar playing. I like the musical style to it. It's much like their most recent cds which is good. // 10

Lyrics: I can't really tell what the hell Davey's saying but that's normal. I like the lyrics in God called in sick today that was good. However, I don't like the way Davey sings much in this album. He's mostly talking like hardcore punk bands do. I like his melodic singing much more. He's still good though. // 6

Overall Impression: It's a good album. If I had it stolen I'd probably burn it though. I wasn't overly impressed by it. It's alright. // 6

Black Sails In The Sunset Reviewed by: Rankles, on september 23, 2005

Sound: The sound of Black Sails on the Sunset showed a huge change for AFI with the introduction of Jade as a replacement guitarist. The sund changed from the kind of punk we all loved AFI for to a more complex, powerful sound. Gone are the lyrics about cereal and mini trucks, welcome to the new era of AFI. Although vastly different from Sing the Sorrow, this offering shows the progression in that direction, but with a much heavier punk influence. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are now more powerfully sung and shouted, and are much deeper than previous AFI offerings. Many highlights on the album include God Called in Sick Today and the obligatory AFI hidden track Midnight Sun having some of the best lyrics on a solid album. The skill of writing here is impeccable if you like your lyrics deep, meaningful and powerfully written. The addition of then record label owner and Offspring singer Dexter Holland on back up vocals during some songs (most noticably Clove Smoke Catharsis) just adds the cherry on the cake. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums, it is the most sudden change in AFI's sound. Fans rate this generally as their best album, whereas others see it as a lead up to their other great albums Art Of Drowning and Sing The Sorrow. If Sing the Sorrow was too different for you, but you liked AOD, then buy Black Sails. It can be hard to find to be honest but can easily be obtained on the internet. // 9

More Afi reviews rating latest review
+ Burials 7.7 10/21/2013