Decemberunderground Review

Lyrics: 8.4
 8.4
 7.6
Decemberunderground Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2006

Sound: There's such a mix of sounds on this album, I feel the only way is to explore each track in turn. 01. Prelude 12/12 - I have to say, this track worried me. While the lyrics are typical of the new, mature sounds of this album, the rather ghetto hip hop beats thankfully are not a taster of the rest of the album. Unlike "Miseria Cantare" of STS, a beautifully haunting build-up to the whole album, this prelude bears no significance musically to any following tracks. If I'm honest, I laughed. 02. Kill Caustic - this track wasn't particularly reassuring either. I wondered for a moment if my iTunes was on shuffle and had skipped to an Atreyu track - a worrying comparison. Great emphasis has been placed on the fact that Mr Havok's screaming has altered from STS to this album. Well, after throat surgery, I think that's forgivable, and it really doesn't bother me except for the fact that he sounds like he's just screaming for the sake of screaming. Rather than any kind of raw passion that can be found in his screaming on STS, he's simply screaming. However, the track boasts a catchy chorus, a fast pace and is full of tumbling riffs, heavy drums and recognisable AFI style. 03. Miss Murder - the much anticipated single of the album. A track where Davey's voice can be truly appreciated. It's a perfect example of how AFI have evolved from the lyrical complexity and adrenaline-fuelled urgency found in STS. Davey's voice dominates the verse, and while the chorus does come crashing in, there's a steady precision about this track which makes it so very different from thier old style. 04. Summer Shudder - an excellent example of how much AFI have developed their souns. It is a turly beauiful piece of music, with a chorus that will stay in your head and a bridge that will break your heart. There's a classical feel to it, and it works. My only complaint is the distracting telephone keypad bleeps in the middle. It's pointless, and a little to FFAF for my liking. 05. The Interview - it was all goin fairly well, until this. There's simply nothing to grab your attention in this song. It's repetative and empty, and is a song which makes you miss old AFI. The chorus is a welcome break from the hollow verse, and the ambient electronic fiasco is intruiging, but the ending is unforgivable - drawn out, dull, and plain annoying. 06. Love Like Winter - I really wish Davey didn't sound so bored throughout this track. It's the same lack of enthusiasm which ruins "Only" by NIN. However, it's catchy, has a solid bridge and uses some good electro-effects. 07. Affliction - the dreaded screaming returns. Okay, there are some great guitar riffs that you can't help but adore, and the song continues as acceptable, but then it happens. Davey's voice simply soars in a stunning bridge, before the riff comes crashing back in again. There's great shape to the song, but it's a real shame about the screamo. 08. The Missing Frame - the beginning demands attention as the layers build up, only to collapse under Davey's voice. Some fantastic lyrics in this song, and a real bitterness tangled into his voice. Haunting backing vocals and just so beautifully pieced together. This seems to be the kind of song that "The Interview" was trying to become. "Now no-one cares..." is the end to an impressive song, and a stray note lingers on. Perfect. 09. Kiss And Cold - this draws such a contrast to their newer sound in "Miss Murder" and "The Missing Frame". It reminds you of STS AFI, and this track really does have so many little delights which make it so epic and so unique. From the industrial into to Davey's voice sliding up a fraction of a note towards the end (sends shivers down your spine), this tack is an absolute masterpiece incorporating everything we loved about what AFI was, and everything good about what AFI has become. This is easily the best song on the album. Oh, and his screaming on this song is fucking perfect. He's screaming because there's no other way to express it - that's how it should be, and it's beautiful. 10. The Killing Lights - this echoes the style of "Miss Murder". A very clean-cut track, which has good shape, a catchy riff and chorus. It doesn't offer anything spectacular, save a short but fulfilling guitar solo. The ambient ending is fitting, somehow. 11. 37mm - very unexpected, but very welcome. This track demonstrates AFI's diversity and works brilliantly, despite throwing together a piano and a drum and bass machine. On the whole, it's an average song, with a bit of a funky ending, but I appreciate it because it's fresh and inventive. 12. Endlessly, She Said - what? You didn't expect AFI to make an album without a mind-blowing finale, did you? This is so heartfelt, and so lovingly put together. It offers so much, lyrically as well as many layers and twists instrumentally, keeping you hooked until the very end. Again, Davey screams like he means it on this track, and it's just stunning. // 7

Lyrics: For what the album title is claimed to be about, the lyrics support it well. There's a lot less complexity and obscure meaning. Melancholy and poetic, yet recognisably AFI. // 9

Overall Impression: I think surpassing Sing The Sorrow was going to be a difficult feat anyway. That album changed my entire outlook on music, and I would have been very, very impressed if AFI did the same again, even after three years. I don't think this album comes even close. It's got some incredible tracks, and it's so interesting to see AFI mature and play with new sounds and new ideas, but the flaws in the album stick out like a sore thumb. However, it's a great album, and I have lost no repect for AFI at all. Their music is pure genius. I'll continue to sling my AFI bag over my shoulder every day with pride and the conviction that they have created true music. // 8

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: guitarist.4.evr, on june 17, 2006

Sound: The sound of the band is like hearing a chainsaw while I'm sleeping. It is horrible. I would be completely embarrased to play in this band, and I feel for the people who are. Afi is the worst band ever. They are screamo crap. And it makes me wanna scream hearing them. The music styles? What music styles? All I hear is this retarted fellow yelling into a mic. And not very good yelling either, I might add. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are bull crap. I had to look them up, because I can't understand what he says he screams so terrible. There are no singer skills at all. Probably because he doesn't sing. Overall, these people are just wannabes. Oh, and his hair looks horrible! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression? What idiot signed them? If it were stolen or lost, I would jump for joy at whoever was nice enough to steal it from me! What do I love about it? Nothing. What do I hate about it? The fact these people can't play. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: showbread, on june 26, 2006

Sound: When I fist heard AFI in 2002 I was stunned. I was amazed at how they could be Punk, Goth and Hardcore at once. They have a very original voice, that I cant think of a band simmaler to. Great bass solos and a great drumer. Jade Puget (the guitarist) is a brillient artist. Never one lesson in his life, and can rock. He is the one handeling all the musical rythems, while Davey Havok (singer) writes all the vocals. Jade would spend hours and hours at his laptop, fiddling around with different sounds for this CD.If you like AFI, you should buy Guitar World featuring Jade Puget (AFI) and Tom DeLonge from Angels And Airwaves. I learned alot about AFI from that magizine, like when they wrote Miss Murder, they where in a freind's basement in LA. There sound will swip you off your feet. // 10

Lyrics: The lyriks are amazing. The way it flows, and the way they have a dark sound like in, "Miss Murder", "let beauty stay if I take my life". You can tell they are a talented band with a mix of sounds that go along with the tone of there music. Davey Havok has an amazing voice. He is able to swich his voice from incredeble singing to insaine screams.That is real inpressive. Davey is probobly one of the most talented and dark singer/song writer that ever existed. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall Decemberunderground is one of the best CDs in my collection. You cant really compair AFI's Decemberunderground to any other albums or artists. They are so unique, and original its hard to find a artist similar. My favoret songs are Kill Caustic and The Interview. They are great songs that you should listen to. Buy Decemberunderground! You will not be diisapointed! // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2006

Sound: The general public might have thought that AFI had dropped of the planet, after their three years out of the limelight, but now their back with a much more straightforward, intimate, and meloncholic album than its predacessor "Sing The Sorrow." I'm going to say right off the bat that if you hated STS, because it was "softer", you're probably not going to feel much different about this album. Prelude 21/12 is a great opener, that stray from previous openers, to create a dark almost hip hop sound. It has its abrasive heavy tracks (Kill Caustic, Miss Murder, Affliction) which include some great screams not really heard from Davey before, but the albums most standout songs are the more melodic/dramatic ones. Summer Shudder, The Interview, and The Killing Lights are prime examples. There is also a nice little '80s vibe in some of the songs, remniscent of a cross between U2, Duran Duran, and AFI. 37mm has a cool industrial feel, and makes great use of drum samples. And then there's Endlessly, She Said, the closer, which is a great sum of the whole album. I'm gonna go right out there and say that AFI is starting to look like the new Smashing Pumpkins, in terms of artsy melodic creativity. Also like the Pumpkins, either you love em or hate em. My favorite moments of the album are Davey's new screaming, Jades backing vocals on the Interview, and the overall subtleness and beauty of the album. // 10

Lyrics: According to Davey Havok, Decemberunderground is a place where all the people with broken hearts go to wallow in self misery. The lyrics do a very great job in supporting that concept. They aren't nearly as opaque and hard to follow as STS's lyrics. Most of the songs are about losing love, or the results from it. Davey's vocals are somewhat different, but still retain the same feel. He doesn't sing the real high notes nearly as often, but still gives you a good "Oh!" // 10

Overall Impression: In comparison with other albums by bands normally grouped with AFI, Decemberground is by far superior, on the grounds that they can make an amazing album that will bring in new AFI hungry fans, please the old fans, and completely reinvent their sound without selling out. Standout tracks are Kill Caustic, Summer Shudder, The Interview, Love Like Winter, and Endlessly, She Said. Love how AFI can change their style, and still make music just as good and innovative. I know I should be damned for burning this album before its release date, but AFI knows that their fans will buy the album regardless, and on 6/6/06 that exactly what I'm doing. I recommend this album to all AFI fans who haven't walked out on the band, and who have waited most patiently for the time this masterpiece to be released. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: Junesongtrigger, on may 31, 2006

Sound: This is pure beauty. This album has hit the mark and has surpassed Sing The Sorrow. From and Industrial sound to the typical AFI sound to almost an '80s theme, this album has broadened AFI's music. This is the best album of this year, no doubt. // 10

Lyrics: Davey has toned down on the confusing lyrics that most people didn't understand, and has come forward with a much more straight forward lyrical masterpiece. The music and they lyrics tie together and wrap this wonderful album and with lace and the finest silks. Davey has improved his vocals, and yet again amazes me. // 10

Overall Impression: This album hasn't even been in stores and it has blown me away more than any album this year. The most interesting songs on this album are Endlessly, She Said, The Missing Frame, Kiss and Control and, Kill Caustic. The entire album is entertaining and I feel this is the bands most creative and touching work. This isn't selling out, this is making my day. Whoever stole this from me is one lucky person, I'd buy it more than once, without a doubt. AFI is back after so long, and it's beautiful. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2006

Sound: As you all know, Afi has been building up to this album for some time now. Many have waited for 3 years for this album and for some unusual reason, old Afi fans dont like it very much. A new sound it may have, but it is still the same Afi. I can't just sum up the whole CDs sound with one paragraph so I'll go through each individual song. 01. Prelude 12/21 - the first time I heard this song, I felt betreyed by AFI for putting things like this on an album. I thought the AFI I knew and loved had decided to make hip hop music. I was ashamed, but I will admit it was a good begining considering the theme. When I first heard it, I thought a little of a dark christmas day. 02. Kill Caustic - I wasn't so into the sound of this track for a while. I basically didn't even finish listening to it. Luckily, the whole song takes a turn in the right direction at the bridge, ending with a soaring scream. 03. Miss Murder - I love davey havok and I love AFI, but this song really let me down. It's sad that so many AFI fans like them just because they saw thier new video on MTV. You didn't see people rushing to buy the album, "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes" when the video for Third Season came out. The song is good, but the fans are not. 04. Summer Shudder - this track is where it really starts to bring out the winter in the track. The whole sound makes me think of a white, cold, and dark day in December. The song itself was not very interesting though. 05. The Interview - this is possibly my favorite track on the album. It has a very unique sound with the bass. The thing that truly captured me about this track though is the slow haulting end. I shiver every time I hear the phrase,"I'll fleed to decemberunderground as you exhail." It is maybe the softest part of the album, but yet the most moving also. 06. Love Like Winter - this song really suprised me with it's sound. It is nothing like a former AFI creation. I didn't really enjoy it's sound. It's very techno and just flat annoying. 07. Afliction - this song has by far too much screaming. That's where it ends. 08. This song was alright near the very begining, until I heard the opening backing vocals. I shreaked. It's just terrible. They definitely could have replaced that song with something good. 09. Kiss And Control - every time I hear the sound of this song, it always makes me think of pure sadness such as on the track from STS, "The Leaving Song Pt. 1". This song is a definite plus to this album and to fans hoping this album would be as good as sing the sorrow. 10. The Killing Lights - I loved the opening to this song. You don't get a very good "Oh!" out of davey very much on this album, so I will admit it was nice to hear. The bass line was amazing. It went so ingeniously into the song such as a solo guitarist. 11. 37mm - the begining of this song sorta scared me a little bit the first time I heard it, but like all of the tracks, it grew on me the more I heard of it. 12. Endlessly, She Said - this is a track all AFI fans should love. No AFI album is complete without a beautiful yet devistating ending. The whole album was worth buying just for this one song. His screams have so much more soul in them, unlike all the others on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very well laid out to the sound. I was much more impressed with the lyrics, but it is nothing like sing the sorrow lyrics. Sing the Sorrow was much darker. Even just compairing the videos for Girls not Grey and Miss Murder, you wonder if it's even the same band. Davey Havok really spanned the way he uses his voice on this album. Hopefully if they put out another album, he'll have had a lot of experience from this album hopefully making the next on exceed Sing the Sorrow and this cd as well. // 10

Overall Impression: I think AFI is heading in a new direction from thier old albums. They are very much so different. People say things like,"Sing the sorrow was so much better than this", or,"I hate this and sing the sorrow. Lets go listen to "Very Proud Of Ya". What people aren't excepting is that AFI isn't trying to impress anyone. They are expressing themselves. I support that fact. The best songs on this album are definitely The Interview and Endlessly She Said. If someone stole this album from me, first I would go buy it again. Then I would listen to it while hunting down who stole my other copy. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 21, 2006

Sound: I first heard AFI after STS came out and immediately loved them. I listened to that albumn over and over and bought Decemberunderground the first day it came out. I was disgusted. What happened to them? They've changed so much that and this album is too diverse it feels like they don't even know what kind of music they're playing. It feels so poppy and mainstream. It's not a complete failure it has some good songs but the bad ones outweigh the good ones. I'm not saying they sold out cause that's stupid.I'm saying it feels like they're trying to sound different then everyone else and get on TRL. I'm a hardcore AFI fan but I'll be cautious next time an afi album comes out. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are a definite drop down from the quality of STS and even shut your mouth and open your eyes. The lyrics feel totally half assed. I can barely believe out of 70+ songs these were chosen. Davey definetly screams different on this album and it's good but not nearly as good as STS. // 4

Overall Impression: This is AFI's worst album to date. It can't stand up to any other album they've made. Sure it's selling great but to me it's not a true Afi album just a very different band with an AFI stamped on it. // 6

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: 0unframed0, on november 06, 2006

Sound: Jade Puget has added more of an effect-based sound to this album rather than in the past, where his guitar was his basic weapon of choice. Songs like 37mm showed a new side to the band's sound. Aside from Jade, the bass has shown more technicality in this album and the mezmerizing drum beats keep your heart in tempo. // 9

Lyrics: As always, the band kept their lyrics mysterious and filled with angst as the fans kept the fire roaring. The music and the lyrics fit like a puzzle. Davey let off a little on the high vocals this time around, and possibly better for the group. Songs like the Killing Lights really paint pictures in your mind. // 7

Overall Impression: Decemberunderground was one of AFI's more emotional albums. As oppose to Sing The Sorrow, the band focused on the feel of the music AND the sound to the lyrics. The Interview, 37mm, Kiss and Control, and the Killing Lights were, in my eyes, the most well put together songs. I love the new feel of their music, but there will always be something in their old albums that will be missed. // 8

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: ofreena, on november 20, 2008

Sound: Honestly, I miss old Afi. While I have some songs on here I couldn't live without, some of them sound so similar. At this particular moment, I couldn't tell you the different in "The Interview" "The Missing Frame" "Affliction" or "Summer Shudder". They all sound to pop-ish. Almost like a wanna be Fall out Boy. It's to simple for AFI, and it's really not showing all their talent. It's nice to experiment, but don't sacrifive the album! However, if I had to go a day without hearing "Endlessly, She Said" I'd go mad. This album starts to reveal the Blaqk Audio techno side in Davey and Jade in songs like 37 mm and Love Like Winter. The more techno sound I really loved, most people who like metal like techno, and since AFI are hard rock, it suitable for them. I like the more screamo side of Davey, it was a bit over used, but I still like it. // 7

Lyrics: One of the last reviews I saw said they were happy that Davey made the lyrics easier to understand, but I wasn't happy about that. I don't want the messages handed to me on a silver platter, I want to inquire and discover them. Songs like "..But Home Is Nowhere" off of Sing the Sorrow made me so confused for weeks, and I still haven't figured them out. I focused on that song for days, it had me completely tranced. Davey Havok is a lyrical genius, and anyone who tries to define that is to dimwitted to understand them. Songs like Kiss and Control show deeper meaning than the average person scanning through the radio will understand, and sadly, this never got much airplay. It upsets me that weak songs like Miss Murder made radio, but the really good ones didn't. I was disappointed with the Prelude 12/21 because it's just a chant with a weak verse or two sung over it. Summer Shudder is basic I think, it doesn't have that signature heart of most Afi songs. Some people get Kill Caustic and The Killing Lights mixed up, for obvious reasons, but I find them both quality songs. // 8

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to any other AFI albums, it compare to Cexcells by Blaqk Audio though. I love the old STS sound better than this, but like I said, without Kiss and Control or Endlessly, She Said, I'd be very upset. A good little piece to show you my opinion is what I found on wikipedia. "Rolling Stone said Decemberunderground feels like 'Something isn't right in the world of AFI' due to their turn towards a more pop-based musical structure 'That would be at home on the soundtrack to the next Spider-Man movie.'" Totally agreed. This new album is to mainstream, and it's not like they needed it. They could have lived off of their old fan base, without selling out to the other listeners of today. Overall: I'd definitely buy it if I lost it, maybe even two if it were stolen, for safe keeping. But a warning to traditional AFI lovers: Heartbreak in near future. // 9

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: jofx1992, on january 25, 2011

Sound: After the disappointing mainstream turn delivered on "Sing the Sorrow" we were at least left with a good album that held its own in a catalog full of much more raw and aggressive hardcore punk that AFI gave us in the past. In other words one can compare "Sing the Sorrow" to Metallica's self-titled release (a.k.a The Black Album) in that both were a drastic change from the first 4 or 5 albums released by the aforementioned bands to a more commercial and radio-friendly approach. Well folks if "Sing the Sorrow" is The Black Album, then Decemberunderground is certainly AFI's equivalent of "Load" (the even more radio-friendly follow-up to Metallica's self-titled). AFI has been changing their sound and incorporating more and more melody with each oncoming album. The only problem is AFI never stopped that approach and after they pushed the limit on their last indie label record "The Art of Drowning" on how much melody they can add and how much aggression they can take away, the only path further in that direction was a major label deal with Dreamworks records. So now here we are with "Decemberunderground". To old AFI fans this album cannot be recognized as even being by the same four guys. The images are changed. The asthetics are changed. The sound has changed and so has the attitude. All these changes without a doubt fit well with the current "Emo" trend going on at the time further proving that AFI had truly sold out by its true definition. // 4

Lyrics: Despite literally everything about this album, the lyrics are in a way very clever and poetic. Something that hasn't changed since some of their late '90's releases. I guess being that the lyrics are of a tender nature they fit well with these timid synth-pop/pop rock tunes. Good job with the lyrics I guess, Davey. // 7

Overall Impression: This album can be considered just a change in direction and many fans will say that AFI is true to their fans but in this case they've alienated a large portion of their original fan base and now have gained the attention of the 13 year old HotTopic girl crowd. So as far as direction I do not approve of this album and would not recommend it to anybody. The only song that truly impressed me the slightest bit is "Kill Caustic" simply because of it's "heavier" sound. That is it. There is no way i will ever go near or come close to listening to the monotonous hit single from the album "Miss Murder". Truly a loss of energy in the flow of the music purely for fame. This album has every telltale sign proving that this band has sold out and has gone from being on of my all time favorites, to being my least favorite or at least close to it. // 4

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: killmequickly28, on may 23, 2006

Sound: Well. First off I heard the advanced copy through the net and it makes me want to purchase this CD even more. I love AFI. I have had high hopes for this album for the past year and it does not disappoint. The sound is AFI but more mature. There is everything from the slow afi to the fast paced AFI to the even newer, screaming AFI. Davey screams his lungs off on a handful of songs on this CD and he does it damn well. 01. Prelude 12/21 - a great way to open the album. One of my favorite intros of there past albums. The melody is just so damn catchy. 02. Kill Caustic - the album opens with this fast paced song. This is one of the screaming ones. Daveys screams have matured since STS and you can tell it on this song. Pretty sweet bridge riff. 03. Miss Murder - first single. Catchy as hell. You've probably all heard it so I won't say too much about it. 04. Summer Shudder - this song is really badass. It starts off with crunching guitars then busts into an extremely catchy chorus that makes you want to sing along with it all fucken day. 05. The Interview - one of the slower songs on the CD. Has a really catchy bass riff in the verse. Really beautiful song actually. 06. Love Like Winter - honestly, I can't stop bobbing my head to this song. It sounds like a song you would hear back in an old '80s movie or something. Extremely catchy. One of my favorites. Different for AFI. 07. Affliction - another hard song with davey screaming. I really love his screams in this CD. Good guitar riff to lead into the chorus. The bridge in this song is amazing. If not for that I would have given this a nine. 08. The Missing Frame - really catchy opening riff. I like Davey's voice in the verse. The chorus is really melodic and nice. 09. Kiss And Control - second favorite song on the CD. Starts off with a cool intro. I really love this song. The verse is really remeniscent of STS AFI, nice and melodic. Then the chorus comes in and kicks your ass. Probably my favorite chorus on the album. Also has Davey speaking words in the bridge, actually a little different for AFI. Guitar riff in the bridge is awesome as well. 10. The Killing Light - I like the opening guitar riff a lot. The chorus is really catchy and reminds me of older rock songs. Quite a good song. 11. 37mm - very different for AFI. Very electronic. But good nonetheless. I appreciate the verse more than the chorus. The chorus is nothing special. Ends pretty badass. 12. Endlessly, She Said - favorite song on the CD. Such an amazing song in every possible way. Has an awesome riff throughout the song and an amazing riff in the bridge. Davey's voice goes through three different levels of range in this including screams. Amazing, simply put. If youre an AFI fan, then your ass better be at your local record store on the 6th of June. Who knows I might see you there. // 10

Lyrics: Daveys lyrics are as always beautiful and deep. So I wont say too much about that. However, he does a lot of things with his voice that I havent heard from AFI in a while. His screaming has gotten a lot better than heard in any earlier afi albums and he does it a lot more. That for me is a plus. People who heard Miss Murder were whining that they didnt like the way Davey's voice had "changed". His voice didn't change, he's just using different vocal techniques in certain songs. There is still classic Davey Havock littered throughout this album. So no worries. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I can't really compare it to other afi albums because in all honesty, Decemberunderground is in a class of its own. It has more of a catchy rock oriented feel to it. Very good album. I can't wait to purchase it and check out the artwork. AFI fans will be very pleased with everything this album has to offer. Songs to checkout via the net are Summer Shudder, Endlessly She Said, Kiss And Control, Affliction, Love Like Winter. But the whole album is amazing. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 05, 2006

Sound: I've loved AFI for the past 8 or so years of my life and there has been a lot of build up for this album. When I heard Miss Murder, I simply didn't like it. It wasn't the AFI I knew. If I wanted Green Day, I would have listened to Green Day, but I wanted AFI. I remember when I heard the All Hallows EP, I was simply amazed at the speed of all the songs and how solid the drumming was. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure they used a drumkit at all on this album. All this really sounds like is Green Day mixed with Nine Inch Nails. This album sounds more like Davey's solo singing album with pre-recorded tracks. There is such an overuse of techno things that it's not even funny. Not good at all. // 4

Lyrics: However, Davey can still write lyrics thankfully. Although I was nowhere near impressed with his singing in the Miss Murder single, the other tracks are a bit better. He can still show his emotion very well in his singing. All the lyrics for all the songs are great, as well as the singing possibly minus Miss Murder, which is too pop-ish. // 9

Overall Impression: I know this album will sell well because of die-hard AFI fans (I am one of them) and because of the new kids hopping up on the scene. However I think this album is one of AFI's worst releases. The best song on the album is probably Affliction, and Kiss And Control. I can't stand the technoish add-ons, especially the intro track which sounds like they took it straight from a 50 Cent beat. The only thing I really like about this album is the singing and the lyrics. I wouldn't buy it back if it was stolen, because I already have the other AFI CDs which are so much better than this. // 4

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: Ignite, on june 08, 2006

Sound: This album is very diverse. It has more of a poppy sound than any of AFI's earlier release, not a bad thing, but not necessarily a good thing. There's some hard rock riffs, and then a bit of '80s pop influence. This album sounds nothing like anything they've ever done, and I really like the direction they decided to take with this album. It's not the best they've done, but it's pretty good. // 7

Lyrics: Davey's lyrics are very nicely written. He writes in such a symbolic way that it's very hard to interpret what he means. I think the lyrics fit really well with the music. Also, Davey's vocals are at best here. Personally, I liked the sound of his vocals on earlier albums better, but his voice sounds very proffesional on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: I would say that the average AFI would not say this compares to older albums. I myself don't think it compared to that of Sing The Sorrow, or Art Of Drowning. The album is so different, it's very hard to compare to older albums anyway. The most impressive songs on this album are "Kiss And Control", "Summer Shudder", "Miss Murder", and "Endlessly, She Said". Of course, most, if not all, songs are really good. I love that this album is very diverse and every song has a completely different sound. I don't like the little clip at the end of "Affliction", because it just doesn't fit and sounds very poppy. There's not that much I don't like about the album, except that it just sounds a bit to poppy, but that is what to be expected when a band like AFI signs to a major record label. If this album was stolen, I would most likely buy it again. // 8

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: DownbëloW, on june 09, 2006

Sound: AFI is a great band. They are fronted by a great songwriter, even if he isn't the best singer in the world. The sound of the new album is great. Many people say, "It's too techno, it's not even AFI." I got a few words for people who say that. AFI programs the techno, it's still them. There are great moments on the album, as well as dissappionting moments. Let's start with the ups. The intro chant Prelude 12/21 is fascinating. I love it. Many of you think that prelude is hip-hop. Bullshit. If you really play guitar, you'd notice that most of the song has guitar playing in it. Last time I checked, hip-hoppers don't have enough talent to play guitar. Another great part of the album is Summer Shudder. It, in my opinion, has the most meaningfull lyrics on the album. It has a catchy chorus that is like the older AfI that so many people fell in love with. The interview isn't great, I don't like the verses at all, they don't flow very well. The song has redemption though. At the end Davey and Jade sing a beautiful duet together with an organ. It really gets to you. Love LIke Winter is also great. It's fun to sing along to. My only problem with it is, it's too goddamn short. The interview is twice as long as Love Like Winter. Afflition isn't great, it's too emo, I really hate it when rich famous people complain about life. Anyways, another great spot in the album is The Killing Lights. I'm listening to it as I write this review. It has such a great chorus, and it's the only song on the album with a solo. The Missing Frame is decent, I really like the chorus. Endlessly, She Said is nothing short of what I expected from Decemberunderground. Pure genious. For those of you who bought it online, On the Arrow is also great. It is similar to The Leaving Song. This is the first AFI song I know of that uses an accoustic guitar all of the way through the song. I love it. And for even fewer of you, there's a bonus track that only the 2 week pre-orderers got. It's called Jack The Ripper. It's also completely accoustic. It's similar to On the Arrow, but not completely. It's still great. My biffs with this new album are in the minority. Like I said earlier, The Interview is mostly bad. 37mm. How do I describe this one? Well, I only like the bridge. The intro sucks, the chorus sucks, the verses suck, and the ending left me saying, "What the f--k was that all about?" // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are no masterpiece. Sing the Sorrow had much better lyrics. But, if you want to see what Davey is capable of writing, look up the lyrics for Days of the Phoenix. That song does not dissappoint. Back to the current album, I felt that the entire album was talking about suicide. Sure, they can have 2 or 3 songs about suicide, but I felt like every song except the first and the last song was about killing youself. Please AFI, quit complaining! Make the great music that all of your fans know your capable of. Davey's singing is much better in this album than any previous ones though. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is great. It's not the masterpiece like STS or TAOD was, but it's still great. My biggest concern of this album was simple. No hidden track that starts 10 min. after the last song? AFI always does that. What happened. I noticed that I wasn't fully impressed with Jades riffs. There are a few good ones, but overall, no memorable riffs. Hunter, on the other hand, has come through. The bass in this album is better than the bass on any other AFI album. Buy this album if you haven't. If you have, buy it again. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: sketchy z, on june 12, 2006

Sound: As far as sound quality goes, this is the best sounding record AFI has ever realeased. It was well produced and well mixed. AFter hearing that AFI would release another album I got soo excited. they were gone for 3 years and I've been waiting for a follow up to sing the sorrow, it was amazing. Decemberunderground definently took AFI in a different direction. Their sound has changed a lot in some songs and others sound like the old AFI. They still have some cool powerful riffs and the bassist is obviously one of the most talented in the industry. Their new sound seams really mainstream and unoriginal though. I think that this album took them a step in the wrong direction. // 7

Lyrics: Davey has deffinently improved on his lyrics. Like on Answer that and stay fashionable he has a song about cereal, and one about highschool jocks and when I heard those I thought comeon davey grow up. But this album is his best to date lyrically. They have gotten more meaningfull and vague which means you really have to try to get into his head to comprehend the lyrics. As for his singing skills. They are ok. I heard he had throat surgery, soo I don't blame him for his voice changing alot but I still like his old voice better. // 9

Overall Impression: This album Is average, maybe a little bit better than average. It has some good songs, and some bad songs. Every member in the band has their high points and low points in the album. However, I would buy it again if I lost it. but I would still go out and buy sing the sorrow long before this one. Listen to track 3 Miss Murder, and listen to Green Day's Holiday - sound a little familiar? Just thought I'd throw that out there. And track 2 sounds exactly like a song off of Burnthe8track's EP. I'm not saying anything but I'm just throwing that out there. // 7

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: BassistGuy, on june 16, 2006

Sound: AFI have always had people criticize the way their music has evolved over the years. You can't mention the band's name without some ignorant bystander calling them a sell out. It's become a ridiculous fad to call any maturing and ascending group a "sell out". If anything, AFI should put these kinds of critics to rest. Davey and the boys have got a completely familiar and yet totally unexpected new sound going for them on 2006's Decemberunderground. Combining their own flavor of 80's-esque new wave with the old brooding and edgy punk sound that we know and love, AFI have created a completely fresh batch of new songs. The band has definitely found themselves on Decemerunderground, and songs like Summer Shudder and The Killing Lights are only minor examples of what they have brought into the fold. In terms of what guitarist Jade and bassist Hunter dish out on Decemberunderground, I'm not terribly impressed. There are very few interesting basslines to behold. The closest Hunter gets to truly grooving is on The Killing Lights. Jade has a couple fun intro's in songs like The Missing Frame and Summer Shudder. I don't know quite what I was expecting (maybe some solo's for a change), but I expected more. The first time I listened to Decemberunderground, I have to say that I was fairly disappointed. It wasn't like their previous album Sing the Sorrow where the melodies and hooks and choruses all seemed to just hit you right from the get-go. No, this was different. Decemberunderground took some significant time to sink in. It wasn't until three or four good listens that I was relatively impressed. // 7

Lyrics: I'm not the first guy to complain about the lyrics of the band. I've never found Havok's lyrics very interesting. As many people have noted, practically every song on Decemberunderground deals with death in one way or another. It bothers me that this is all that Davey can come up with to write. The man has a made life, and yet all he can muster is lyrics about suicide and blood? If you ignore the lyrics, or at least don't take them to heart, Decemberunderground is almost as enjoyable as it would be if it actually contained some good lyrics. Another thing I absolutely hate about the lyrics on Decemberunderground is that about half of them are screamed. I've always found Havok's screaming enjoyable on others album, but this time around it seems like he's simply trying to copy acts like Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu rather than come up with something original. However, I'm glad to say that the backing vocals by the rest of the band are extraordinary. They make nearly every chorus a joy to listen to. // 6

Overall Impression: I've found that, after eight or so listens, Decemberunderground stands somewhere near the excellence that was Sing the Sorrow. It's not quite as listener-friendly (despite what people have said), but I think most people can get something positive out of it. The lyrics mostly disappoint me, because I feel like Havok could give so more, but I guess that's what past albums as for. Adam's drumming is great, and Hunter and Jade hold their own on several occasions, so the musicianship is rather tight. The majority of the songs on DU are fun and each have their own redeeming characteristics, also. Overall, pick up DU if you are a fan of the band, or if you're looking for something fresh from the music scene. // 8

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: danielbalcombe, on june 16, 2006

Sound: Well, when I first heard 'Miss Murder' on MTV I thought, wow what a different sound they have. So I went and brought this cd, and boy was I surprised. From the first song, I felt as though they had completly changed from this underground 'punk' band, to a full stream rock band. the sound overall is pretty gnarly, his vocals seem to be a lot clearier and the instruments are played very well for the genre in which they have to, this means you wont be finding any amazing guitar solo's or really impressive drum solos, you will just find well thought out and written songs. // 9

Lyrics: I think in this CD, Davey has simplified his lyrics somewhat and has taken a more 'rock' feel to them, although some parts of the lyrics may be hard to understand (the Chorus to 'Love Like Winter' confuses me). 01. Prelude 12/21 - this is a intresting opening to the ablum, it sets a new tone to any other AFI CD. A hip-hop beat is present which I think is pretty funky, but not what you would expect from AFI. 02. Kill Caustic - this is one of the heavier songs on the CD. I really like the screaming Davey does throughout. love the lyrics also and a great chorus. 03. Miss Murder - I love this intro, nice little bass line. This song is a very radio friendly song I believe, although it is still quite a good song nice flow throughout. Davey's voice sounds beautiful here I reakon and I love the screaming. 04. Summer Shudder - well this song is another song which I like a lot. The lyrics are beautiful and the music fits well together. A top song. 05. The Interview - this has a nice relaxing feel at the start and builds up nicely to a chorus. Beautifully done. 06. Love Like Winter - this is a up-beat kinda song. I feel it is a new style for AFI a more synthesised style with a lot of bass throughout. It's good to see a different style done well by them. I love this song. 07. Affliction - another rockier song then the others, gotta love the screaming in this one. Listen to the scream after the First chrous and before the second verse. 08. The Missing Frame - nice drum intro into a very 'The Killers' kinda feel. this song reminds me very much of a placebo song. I would have to say if I didn't know of AFI and heard this song, I would not know them at all. If that makes sense! 09. Kiss And Control - very bassie and synthesised, but the chrous breaks out and turns into a great song. 10. The Killing Lights - another kinda placebo feeling song and I really love this chorus very 'rocky' feel. 11. 37mm - well this song is one of those ones your either gunna love or hate if ur a AFI fan and for some reason, I hate it, althought I appreciate the change of style and new awakenings, but come on, they were a hardcore band but this song makes you wonder. 12. Endlessly, She Said - you know the saying, 'save the best for last' AFI are masters at this. From art of drowning and sing the sorrow the best songs are the last ones and this trend continues. This is a AFI song for sure. Nice build-up. 13. Rabbits Are Roadkill (bonus) - this song reminds me of the art of drowning days, well his voice does, when was it recorded? I like it, brings back memories of their younger days, although not as screamo. All in all, well done Davey, Jade, Adam and Hunter, you did every right for each song. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, after Art of Drowning, I didn't know how they could top it, then sing the sorrow came out and I was amazed and does this album pass Sing The Sorrow? In my opion no. but don't get me wrong, this ablum is still very good, but come on, sing the sorrow was incredible. This album trys new things, which I like, because it shows they aren't single minder musically, but sometimes bands should leave a genre to never be played. But all in all, the boys have made another blinder of a CD, lets hope they keep coming! // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2006

Sound: Their sound on this album is very different from anything they have done. They use more electronics on this album, and it also has a cold pop sound to it. I bought it the first day it came out and loved it. This album is layed, so it could take some time to get used to some of the songs, but they are really great songs. // 10

Lyrics: Davey writes some of the best lyrics, and has a great voice. I really like his voice on this album. espically when Davey and Jade sing their duet at the end of The Interview, it is amazing, and blows me away every time I hear it. I love that when AFI writes lyrics they are vague and you can't always tell what he is talking ab out all the time. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't really compare this album to the rest of them, because each album is unique in its own way. Yea they are not punk anymore, but in a way it is a good thing, it can get boring to keep doing the same thing all of the time. I love this album it just amazing the whole way through. The best songs are Kill Caustic, Love Like Winter, The Killing Lights, and The Missing Frame. I would buy this album again, if it got lost, I'm even contemplating buying another copy for the exculsive target song. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: ledzeppelin13, on june 19, 2006

Sound: AFI's Decemberunderground. An album that was picked from 80 written songs, no wonder they're all top notch! AFI's sound definitly has matured, also it seems as though they took a little bit of a electronic adventure on the song "37 mm". They may seem to be going a little bit more mainstream, but really, so what? The music is great, so as long as they make good songs, I ain't going to complain. // 10

Lyrics: Excellent lyrics. Davey's vocals are just amazing. His voice is very unique and like none other. One thing I have really noticed is, his lyrics are actually understandable, and you know what he's talking about. In other albums it seems as though you would have to sit and listen go the album with a dictionary just to understand the songs well. But now that he has made them more simple, the lyrics are beautiful just as they were before. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this album is worthy to being the follow-up of Sing the Sorrow, maybe even being better then it. The whole album is fantastic, but the song that I'm not always taken with is "37 mm". But the absolute stand outs are "The Missing Frame", "Endlessly, She said", "Love Like Winter", and "Miss Murder". Possibly the album of the year for me. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2006

Sound: AFI definitely had a mountain to climb after, in my opinion, their best album Sing The Sorrow, while making this album. Decemberunderground certaintly did so, for me. 01. Prelude 12/21 - obviously the opening to the album, like Sing the Sorrow's "Miseria Cantare." I'd say just comparing those two tracks together shows the maturity of AFI in only the past two-three years. A lot of criticisim towards this track, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I picture this being the second song in their set, with first being "Miseria Cantare." 02. Kill Caustic - this is my least favorite track on DU. But nevertheless a great song. A lot of sceaming for all the screamo kids. The opening verse are somewhat weak but the rest of the song makes up for it. But I think taking this track off the ablum and replacing "Rabbits Are Roadkill" would be better. 03. Miss Murder - the first single/video on Decemberunderground. I love the bass in this song. Hunter is an amazing bassist. Jade has some great parts in the song too (what else is new). As far as all the criticisim thrown towards this song and saying things like, "It reminds me of Green Day!" I think is just not understanding how to mature with a band really. This album is with out a doubt, the best AFI release to date. Anyway, A great song with an amazing bridge too. 04. Summer Shudder - this song sounds a bit like a Sing The Sorrow song. Has very deep lyrics. The drums in it are very strong as well. The chorus is catchy and stays in your head. There's a akward telephone key pad jsust before the bridge which I beleive has to do with the phone call heard in "Affliction" later in the album. 05. The Interview - this is one of my favorite tracks out of the twelve. This song has the main lyric for the album at the end, "I flee to decemberunderground... and I'll grow pale without you." The chorus in the song is amazing and deep. It truely shows the maturity of AFI. 06. Love Like Winter - without a doubt one of my favorite tracks along with "Kiss And Control." The whole song is really more up-beat than the past four albums. "Love Like Winter" is like a love song that depicts the whole Decemberunderground theme, with winter and such. 07. Affliction - another screaming song. And another good screaming song. I don't really understand the complaints about Davey screaming. The only difference is it's in a slightly higher pitch. I like it, and think they did a very good job with "Kill Caustic", "Miss Murder", "Affliction," and "Kiss And Control" I also love the bridge and there's also a nice ending to the song with a cool beat and a voice in the background. It's the phone call I was talking about in "The Interview." 08. The Missing Frame - a cathcy and simple drum beat intro by Adam demands attention until the end along with Jade's high notes on his guitar. And Davey's beautifully written lyrics shadow on what "The Missing Frame" is. He keeps your attention literally throughout the whole song. Great song, but I think the bridge is too stunning to be true. 09. Kiss And Control - now this song is probably my single favorite song on Decemberunderground. Everything about it keeps you into it. The opening (slow) verse, until the build up to the chorus. Davey only screams in the chorus, but it's, in my opinion, the best screaming on the entire CD. Each prechorus changes to the fast paced chorus. 10. The Killing Lights - this is also a "newer" side of AFI which was introduced on the ablum. This is a more clean track. Not too much that will stand out on the album. I mean it's a great song overall without any flaws. Original and creative. 11. 37mm - a very unexpected track, but so creative, it makes the song fitting. Davey's voice shows just how amazing of a range it has. I also love what I guess you would consider the bridge where he sings "Time, Time, Time..." then the ending part where he chants, "We are, no one." Just a very underrated and creative masterpiece. 12. Endlessly, She Said - and of course, AFI will never call it an album with a fast song. But really though, this is an amazing slow song. Davey's voice is amazing and screams with a passion. Keeps you almost on the edge of your chair until you scream the chorus. A great album-closing song. // 10

Lyrics: The amazing lead singer of AFI, Davey Havok is almost a guaranteed and assured to blow your mind with the range, overall sound, and screaming of his voice. It's overall just beautiful. His lyrics, I believe will absolutly never cease to amaze. They really made a statement with Sing The Sorrow, but this album just out beats that album so much, I'd be lying not to give it all a ten. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a more fan of AFI's newer music, to me it's so much more thoughtout, creative, and it really is more musically genious. But I still have to say Demeberunderground beats all the past albums going back to Answer That... Fashionable. Sing The Sorrow was a ten, and AFI has just out beat STS with Decemberunderground. All the criticisim is absolute trash. All bands mature, AFI is just one of them. If I were to some how misplace this CD, there's no question I'd go buy it again. I love everything about Decemberunderground. And I love everything about AFI. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: SLIP(SIC)KNOT, on july 10, 2006

Sound: AFI has definately changed a lot. They have changed for the better though. Personally, I really like the melodic intervals w/the thrashy vocals by davey, and the soft vocals blend well too. I also really like davey's scream. its definately one of this albums highlights. No one has a scream like davey does. this new sound that AFI has acheived is so different from what they used to play that its almost unrecognizable. Their earlier albums like "Black Sails In The Sunset" could not have been more different from this one. I like the new style, but in a way, I kind of miss it. I came to love afi through "The Art Of Drowning" so its like a new band to me. But all the same, I love this album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good. they're kindof abstract I guess. Really poetic. "Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep" and "Hey, miss murder, can I make beauty stay if I, take my life?" I mean, that's pretty poetic. Davey's vocals blend very well with the music. I especially like the thrashy vocals with the highly distorted guitar in "Kill Caustic" and "Affliction." // 8

Overall Impression: This band has always been one of my favorites and still is. Every album they release impresses me in a different way. This time, the voacls really impressed me. I love everything about this album. Except maybe at the end of affliction where's theres like just 2 minutse or so of weirdness and sobbing or something. If this were stolen, there's no doubt that I would buy another one. // 9

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 20, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is incredible. Jades guitar playing on this album is amazing I have never heard anything like it he plays low notes so well its incredible and when it comes down to muting and palm muting he is amazing. Hunter can defenitely play the bass and he plays with such attitude in heart on this album it's just really amazing how he does it. Adam is an amazing drummer and he is probably one of the best in the punk-rock history I mean his tempo on the drums is just incredible, like sometimes hell bang the shit out of them and sometimes he might just play something softly. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are amazing and AFI have gotten more mature in songwriting structure. I think this album is more of rock album than a punk album. Davey Havok is one of the best singers in the history of punk rock and just plain normal rock. He plans out his lyrics so well like in some he'll say something poetic, in some songs theure is crazy singing and most of the album is just all out intelligent lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other albums because AFI have their own sound of rock on this album. I love everything about this album and I hate nothing about it, it just kicks total ass. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again. I would recommend this album to any fans of punk rock, hard rock and just any people that want to try out AFI I would really recommend this album it defenitely gets 5 stars because it is one of the best albums out there today so get it now! // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: r0k_girl, on august 28, 2006

Sound: Decemberunderground is new sound from AFI but is great. AFI came up with a few interesting ideas in their songs some of these where good but others where just annoying. The first two songs (Prelude 12/21 and Kill Caustic) have a kind of distrotion the whole way through. I find this annoying because it always seems to be just louder than the music. At the start of Love Like Winter, there is a sound like high heel shoes on tiles. This was an effect I thought was good and added to the song. This album contained a lot of slower songs in fact I believe it was too many slow songs. I would have liked to see more songs the were faster. // 9

Lyrics: AFI have always gone deep into emotions in their songs and this album is no different. The problem here is that some of the lyrics make no sense e.g. 'Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep'. Davey Havok is an excellent singer and the perfect mix of singing ang screaming has been found by these guys. Davey has not only a great voice he is also very passionate and it is that passion that makes the music even better. // 7

Overall Impression: Decemberunderground was long awaited by AFI fans and was overall worth it. After righting 100's of songs the best were pulled out and all the work paid off. Before Dememberunderground I wasn't that big a fan of AFI but the album really showed the bands true talent. Some of the really great songs are Miss Murder, Summer Shudder, Love Like Winter and Endlessly, Sha Said. This album is one of those ones you can never get sick of no matter how many times you listen to it. It is fantasic and I would recommend it to anyone who loves any type of rock. // 9

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: AVA_182_44, on august 30, 2006

Sound: AFI's new sound is here to stay. Their latest cd, "Decemberunderground" is an amazing CD. I was anticipating it so much, I pre-ordered it, (and I'm glad I did, cause I got a hidden track that's not included in the cd) As the album name suggests, you get a "winter-y" feel to the album. Cold, breath taking, and beautiful. I miss their old punk sound, but I still love their new sound. If you a real AFI fan, you'll love this CD as much as "Black Sails In The Sunset" and "Very Proud Of Ya." // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics suggest some woman has recently left Davey's life. And he misses her alot. I kind of got that feel listening to "On The Arrow" and "Summer Shudder." The lyrics go hand in hand with Adam's brilliant guitar parts. Davey sings way different from AFI's albums before "Sing The Sorrow" and in a good way. His voice is more distinguished and has new singing styles compared to other bands now-a-days. // 10

Overall Impression: "Decemberunderground" is way different than their previous albums. An amazing new sound, but still ties into all their other albums. My favorite tracks are "Summer Shudder," "On The Arrow," "Jack The Ripper (bonus track)" and "Kill Caustic." If I lost this CD, I'd most definatly buy it again. It's an amazing CD. // 9

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: shugo449, on september 04, 2006

Sound: AFIs very unique sound returns once again in Decemberunderground featuring the hit single Miss Murder. With complex lyrics and simple but unique guitar parts, Decemberunderground may be the best AFI album yet. This CD contains a great mix of music going from soft punk songs to fast screamo songs to the single that almost sounds Green Day. Jade and Davey have also added in some electronic part in songs like Summer Shudder and Love like Winter. // 10

Lyrics: Davey Havok the singer of AFI, is probably one the best punk/hardcore singers out there. This album features confusing lyrics that in the end are wrapped around lifes main points: Love and death. While singing these lyrics, Davey manages to bring life and make AFI's sound even better. // 10

Overall Impression: my personal favorite songs on this album is their hit Miss Murder, Summer Shudder, Love Like Winter, and Kill Caustic. The dynamic vocals, simple and complex guitar and the overall feel of the songs could make any first time listener a diehard fan of AFI. So if your looking to buy a new CD, buy Decemberunderground. // 10

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: Committed45, on november 08, 2006

Sound: Firstly, let me say that I love AFI. I'm definitely a more recent fan, I've only been since STS. But since I have bought and listened to every release. Anyway, about Decemberunderground. As I and everyone else has noticed with AFI, they're always trying to outdo themselves. In this case, they have and they haven't in some areas. 01. Prelude 12/21 - many people have said this track "sucked" compared to Miseria Cantare. But I simply don't compare them because they're so different. I love Prelude, with it's maybe a bit overdone rap beat, and beautiful choir voices, and cool electronic-y stuff. But I must say if I had to compare Prelude to STW or Miseria, I would say it pales in comparison. 02. Kill Caustic - in all honesty, I hate this song. I can't really tell why. As always, Davey's lyrics are great, but I can't tell why I don't like it. I guess it just lacks dimensions. 03. Miss Murder - when this song first came out, I loved it. In retrospect, I realize that I only loved it because I had been waiting so long for new AFI material. With constant radioplay, Sadly, I have grown extremely sick of this song. 04. Summer Shudder - a masterpiece. I love everything about this song. I hate those stupid telephone beeps in the middle though, they're too much of a distraction. 05. The Interview - this is probably my least favorite. There's nothing to it. In no offense to Jade, the guitar on this track sounds like it could be played by a 5 year old. But this may be just me. Because I play guitar, I love guitar-heavy music. Also, there's just nothing to it. Instead of continuing in this format, I'm going to breakdown the rest in a much shorter fashion. Love Like Winter is an ok song, again, the guitar is nothing to write home about. I do love electronics in this song, though I must say. and the video is so cool. Affliction was one of my favorites, Davey's scream is a little different from STS, but I like it better. The main riff in this song is so simple, but so awesome. Jade did a good job. The Missing Frame was another fav., The guitar again was disappointing, but Davey's voice was so great in this song. and I loved the bridge. Kiss And Control is tied with Endlessly, She Said for most favorite. I love everything about this song. The electronics in the beginning, the contrast between Davey's beautiful singing voice in the verse and screaming in the chorus, and the guitar work make me glad this song made the cut. The Killing Lights was again disappointing in the guitar department, with the exception for his very brief solo after the bridge. And I hate how Davey's tongue clicks when he says "cut". I just can't ignore it! 37mm gets a little boring after like 2 minutes, but I love the chorus. At first, I must admit that I was disappointed with Endlessly, She Said. I just couldn't get to like it. Then when it finally clicked, it became my favorite. The two bonus songs, On the Arrow and Fallen Like the Sky are great too, but I think On the Arrow owns Fallen. overall, I'm happy with it, I just wish Jade took more solos! His Dancing Through Sunday solo was awesome, I wish there was more of that on here. I didn't hear much from Hunter except for in Affliction. that bass line in the beginning is great. and I hate that there's no hidden track! // 8

Lyrics: The poignancy and ambiguity of Davey's lyrics have been something I've loved the most since I became a fan. This record does not disappoint in that department. The lyrics fit very well with the music. Nothing really seems out of place at all. Davey's singing voice seems a great deal stronger on this album, and his "new" scream, which many attribute to his vocal chord problem in 2003, doesn't seem very different at all. // 10

Overall Impression: If I had to compare DU to STS, I would say that STS wins. With STS the songs varied greatly, they all stood out on their own. With the first few listens of DU, I had a hard time telling them apart. The most impressive songs are Summer Shudder, Affliction, The Missing Frame, Kiss And Control, Endlessly, She Said, and On The Arrow. I love Davey's voice on this album, I hate how simple and lifeless Jade's guitar stuff sounds on most tracks. If it were stolen or lost, I would only replace it if I didn't already have it in my ITunes. I find little use for CD's now that I have an Ipod, and I sell them a Zia records after I copy them. // 8

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: HillcrestAvenue, on november 25, 2006

Sound: The sound of decemberundergroud is tech-rcok or electonic with the usual Afi stuff. There is no story really to this album It's just a bunch of emo words. I don't think this album is played in standard tuning. The guitar lines are a lot better on this album than the others. The drums & bass are fine. They also use keyboards on this album. // 8

Lyrics: I hate it. The lyrics aren't bad it's just that they are very emo and depressing. I don't like emo lyrics. The lyrics to the music is pretty good though. Davey is a good singer but his voice is a bit to high. He makes it lower on some songs and it sounds good. I don't know why he doesn't sing with a lower voice. // 5

Overall Impression: This album to their other albums is in my opinion better becuase I like the sound better. The older albums aren't that well recorded. The best songs on this album are probably "The Interview" & "Endlessly, She Said". The worst one would be "Miss Murder". I love this album because of the difference from the older albums. I hate it because it's so emo. If it were stolen I probably download the album instead of buying it. But ya it's a good album. // 7

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: britt_082892, on december 29, 2006

Sound: Okay, overall, compared to their other albums, this one sucks! I felt that this album was a huge disappointment. I was soooo excited for the video preview of "miss murder" and once I head it I was just like "ewww." their new ablum is way too mainstream! It sounds like shit. Their old music used to inspire me to write better music and to search for a deeper meaning, but all this new stuff inspires me to do is to find new objects to throw at my stereo. // 3

Lyrics: Ohh my, where do I start with these incredibly horrible lyrics. Songs on their other albums were very meaningful and had strong thought provoking lyrics, but this Miss Murder shit they've thrown at us is pretty much what you get when you mix Green Day and a bottle of whiskey, exaclty, nothing good can come from it! In my opinion, they've officially sold out in order to top the charts insead of being about their fans and writing the amazing songs that I know and love. I'm rating this a two, 1 point for an attepmt at effort and the other to remind people of their older music, the stuff that really mattered! // 2

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this is to just chuck it out the window and pretend like it never happened! Everyone thinks that afi is this awesome group, which is true, they are truely amazing! But why are they feeding us this horrible bullshit instead of the great stuff we're all used to. In my opinion, "Sing The Sorrow" was one of the most amazing albums I have ever heard. With every song on that CD I just couldnt get enough of it. "God Called In Sick Today" was and still is the most amazing song I've ever heard and "Leaving Song Part 2" has the most incredibly deep lyrics that I've heard in a long time! But december underground feels like a big slap in the face or some kind of practical joke! The only thing I have left to say is "AFI, What were you thinking?" I used to love this group, they weren't just good, they were great. Their songs were so meaningful and powerful, the only power that this new stuff has is the fact that Davey dressed up like hitler and danced around. Compared to their previous songs, these new songs are pathetic and no longer had that creative and unique sound..it just sounds like everything else. // 3

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: unique-x-life, on may 14, 2007

Sound: The band have a great sound which is quite different to most rock bands. It's that factor that makes it interesting to listen to. There's something about the sound that makes it that little bit better than most other CDs. Also the CD works around a perticular theme, but it doesn't really give it away when you hear the title 'decemberunderground' which makes it an even better CD to have. // 9

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics is very good. I think that they fit well with the theme of the CD and they also fit with the music well. All the songs have cleaverly written lyrics, and not one song on the album lets this down. Also all the singing is quite good, and it fits in with the songs nicely. This makes the lyrics really good, although sometimes I think some of the tracks lack emotion and meaning, but perhaps it's meant to be like that. Other than that the lyrics are great. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the album is very good. The band (AFI) really are quite different to most bands, but aren't too different to make their music sound weird. The album has an unusual rabbit theme which you don't see often but it works really well and it's the kind of album you can listen to all the way through without getting bored because all the songs on the album are different. I would say that there were a few songs that were really good on the album. My to[ three are: Rabbits are Roadkill, Miss Murder, Head Like a Hole. But all the songs are good on the album. That's what I love about the album, because all the songs are different but you don't have to skip some tracks when listening to the album. There's nothing I really hate, but the lyrics could have been better on some of the songs. That's the only reason I could give it a 9 and not a 10. // 9

Decemberunderground Reviewed by: Squirrel1993, on august 13, 2007

Sound: First lemme start off by saying that I am very new to AFI. I have never heard any of their previous work. I first heard AFI's Miss Murder and loved the song. I've seen all sorts of reviews from listeners who have heard AFI from the beginning which really didn't help me. I was looking for someone who was also new but no such reviews I have found. The songs on this album are amazing and different in each one. This album was recorded extremely well. Inside the booklet there are small scriptures. I'd have to say this is pretty much rock? Punk? Pop? Hard rock w/screamo? I'm not sure wht you'd call it from all the diverse styles in the album. I should also mention, I am not a huge fan of music w/ screaming in it. I hate slipknot. There are a few screams in this album and I don't mind them at all! which kind of amazed me. // 8

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were very good. Only (to me anyway) a lot of the songs really didn't make any sense. I'm use to music such as the Beatles and Green Day where there is a "message" you could say that you can understand instantly. These songs not so much, a few yes but they seem more like stories I guess. The lyrics fit very well w. the guitar and drums. Davey is a very good singer. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd have to say out of my collection of CDs this is it's own thing. I own no other piece of music like this. I love most of the songs on this record a few I personally don't like. So there you go. If this was lost or stolen wud I get it again? Yes I would some not so good songs but this is really worth it I think. // 8

More Afi reviews rating latest review
+ Burials 7.7 10/21/2013