The Art Of Drowning Review

Styles: Hardcore Punk, Punk Revival
 9.6
 9.1
The Art Of Drowning Reviewed by: PublicDstrbance, on november 10, 2003

Sound: I personally find that Jade's guitar playing is far better than that of most guitar players out there. Most guitar players play the basic power chords but Jade utilizes more than that. Bass is very unique also. Hunter's bass skills are amazing. The drums are generic in my opinion, but Adam is a skilled drum palyer none the less. // 10

Lyrics: Ahh the lyrics. Here is where I am amazed by Daveys lyrics. These lyrics, by far are some of the greatest lyrics I have ever heard. And to add to that Daveys voice is amazing. He can really hit those high notes. // 10

Overall Impression: Go buy it. Its worth every penny. After listening to this album I went out to search for any and everything about AFI. Compared to most other bands out there... AFI is far more talented. // 10

The Art Of Drowning Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Overall Impression: I must say that this is by far my favourite release by AFI. It had hardcore and emotional punk, although there is some desputes on whether AFI is punk or not but whatever. This CD had everything I wanted, Davey Havok is a wonderful song writer and singer. Hunter may not be the best bass player in the world but he is my favourite and this was just fantastic. // 10

The Art Of Drowning Reviewed by: thenephilim, on january 08, 2004

Sound: From the hanting introduction "initiation", to the dark hardcore of "the nephilim" to the cataclysmic beauty of "six to eight", this album is everything you could want from AFI and far, far more. // 10

Lyrics: It's Davey Havok...what do you expect? Pure genious, and that's exactly what you get! There is not one line of lyrics on this album that is anything less than brilliant, the only thing I wonder is...how does he do it? // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favourite AFI album, because it covers their hardcore style, their dark shroud, their experimental style and their slower style. If you like this, I'd recomend everything from "shut your mouth and open your eyes" and onwards. If it were stolen, I'd find the person who stole it, pound them, take it back, and buy another copy. Also noteworthy is the solo in "six to eight", magnificence... // 10

The Art Of Drowning Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2004

Sound: The Art of Drowning is by far the best AFI album. It has the raw sound absent on all but a few songs of their latest album, yet the songs each have an identity that was not seen on some of the earliest material like Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes. It sounds unlike anything else that is available today. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome on this album, but there is one problem - half the time you can't understand a word that Davey Havoc sings. I had to look up most of the songs, but the eloquence that is present blew me away. The Despair Factor is a personal favorite, both sound-wise and lyrically. "My whole life is a dark room...One...Big...Dark...Room." // 10

Overall Impression: I would buy this album again in a second if I lost it. I was blown away especially by the last 7 or so songs on the album. It is AFI at their prime. For everybody who has only heard Sing the Sorrow, it is imperative that you buy this album, along with Black Sails in Sunset, to hear what true AFI sounds like. // 10

The Art Of Drowning Reviewed by: veryfew, on november 03, 2004

Sound: I've heard all of Afi's material, and I must say that Art Of Drowning is their most spirited album. It is not the best however; that's an honor for the masterpiece that is Sing The Sorrow. This album is extremely fast (almost unbearable on songs like Smile) and very loud. The guitars are far more distorted on this album than on Sing The Sorrow which gives Arto Of Drowning its heavy feel. // 10

Lyrics: I just can't imagine how Davey Havok writes so well. This album shows a somewhat darker side of his lyrics than their work to that point. His vocal range is incredible, too. The only problem is that you'd need the lyric sheet to fully experience his lyrics. Why write such beautiful material and not sing it. // 10

Overall Impression: Afi is my favorite band, so if this album were lost or stolen I'd buy it again in a second. The songs on AOD are mostly spectacular, but I find track 7, Smile, somewhat. Anyway, it's great so go buy it. // 10

The Art Of Drowning Reviewed by: danielbalcombe, on may 27, 2005

Sound: This CD I personnaly feel is AFI's strongest. This ablum has the more heavier feel then "Sing The Sorrow" and more faster "Punk Feel." The fast guitar, drums and basslines makes this CD incredable. Although there are no stand out guitar solo's you can tell Jade knows what he is doing. The last song on this ablum is my favorite "Morning Star." // 10

Lyrics: Mr Davey Havok. What more can you expect but beautiful, brilliant lyrics and this ablum does not let you down. Everything he sings in this song is incredable, even though it is hard to understand him sometimes you know its incredable. Davey is the best lyricist I have ever seen and this ablum shows it beautifully. // 10

Overall Impression: This ablum although is much a heavier sound to AFI's newer record Sing The Sorrow, the same feeling can be felt. This ablum is the best one AFI has written. Davey yet again shows his beautiful singing voice and range. The most impressive song is Morning Star, it builds up to a heavy distorted guitar which blows you away. I would deffinatly bye this one again. // 10

More Afi reviews rating latest review
+ Burials 7.7 10/21/2013