Very Proud Of Ya Review

9.2
 9.1
 9.2
Very Proud Of Ya Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2004

Sound: Music styles used: good old punk rock and roll. The sound is sharp, with dominating bass and vocals. It sounds like they recorded each track a different day, as the levels are never the same. As a guitar player it irritated me too try and learn by listening. The bass is the driving force though so it really helps the sound. Innovations aren't frequent. The sound is pretty vicious so I'd say that stands out as innovative with this horrible music these days, and those. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are so brutal and angry, they go perfectly with the bashing drums and sharp guitar. Davey havock was a lyrical and vocal master back then (or in his words, "SUCH A *%&!ing MASTER!" and this is the best I've heard him. The skills are shown in the bellowing and such. but back to lyrical. Davey was really mad and the rage translates into great punk lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Well it's the best punk album I've heard but I haven't heard a whole lot. It's right up there with GBH's city baby albums. And punk conneisuers, don't bitch because i didnt mention the classics from the sex pistols and the ramones and the stooges and all that. I would definitely buy this again if it was lost or stolen. I love the fact that it is amazing and brutal and simple. I hate that it's so short, 38 minutes for 20 songs. Some of the songs are really cookie cutter too, so that's... bad... I suck at writing. The best songs on the cd are probably Cult Status, Perfect Fit, Consult My lover, and This secret Ninja. Theyre all amazing though. // 10

Very Proud Of Ya Reviewed by: Taterdamillion, on january 19, 2004

Sound: Hee Hee! I'm giddy with excitement! Very Proud of Ya is some good old hardcore. With the exact same drum beat for 18.5 out of 20 tracks, and power chords galore, this is some fast, mindless, enjoyable music. Vocalist Davey Havok's psycho-falsetto is very enjoyable most of the time, and surprisingly, the same sound over and over for 20 tracks stays fresh for all 30 minutes. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are stupid. That's kind of a given though in hardcore bands. The lyrics mean nothing as far as I'm concerned. It's all mindless gobbledeegook, but it's fun, enjoyable mindless gobbledeegook. Oh well. At least it's not Good Charlette. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a fast album. This is a dumb album. This is a mindless album. But the most important part is that it's fun, and it's enjoyable. That's what music artists strive for, or should strive for, when making an album. // 10

Very Proud Of Ya Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 29, 2004

Sound: I started Listing to Afi when "Black Sails" came out, than I when "Art Of Drowning" came out, I was in love. I went out and found all the older stuff (including the singles) and "Very Proud Of Ya" is by far my favorite. It's heavy and rather aggressive. Davey Havok is nothing more than pure genious with all his records, though some may disagree, this album proves that Mr. Havok is, indeed, pure genious. It was this record that has made me want to start my own band, and play this (style) of music. (I sing pretty much the same as Davey does, but we aren't, in anyway, ripping off Afi) // 10

Lyrics: "I dont wanna f--k you, I don't wanna f--k you, I, dont wanna f--k you, so f--k you" need I say more. Seriously though, the lyrics on this album beat the hell out of anything else that Afi has ever done (though I love it all). Jade, Hunter, and Adam seem to sound great togheter, even with out Davey singing. If it were just the 3 of them, this album would still kill, but add Davey into the mix, and holy hell, they struck gold. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is by far a 10 out of 10. The closest Afi album to this one, I'd have to say would be "Black Sails In The Sunset", but not nearly as good. I already own 2 copies one is in cased in a class box with the bands signatures on it, so I'll always have one copy, but if I ever lost the one I listen to, I defenatly would go out and buy it again if I can find it again. // 10

More Afi reviews rating latest review
+ Burials 7.7 10/21/2013