As The Eternal Cowboy Review

against me: As The Eternal Cowboy
Released: Nov 3, 2003
Genre: Punk Rock, Folk Punk
Label: Fat Wreck Chords
It's a great album and it really showcases some of the best songs that Against Me has ever made. Much better than their newer music.
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
As The Eternal Cowboy Reviewed by: jrock91190, on february 11, 2010

Sound: Against Me definitely made one of my most listened to albums throughout high school with this album, and (more importantly) it introduced me to Against Me, who have become one of my favorite bands. The sound of the two guitars punching out chords that still cut like knives, never gets old on this album. Guitars: Every riff is well timed and in perfect rhythm with the other guitar which adds a dynamic to their songs that most punk bands do not have. The inclusion of acoustic songs ("Unsubstantiated Rumors", "Sink, Florida, Sink", and "Cavalier Eternal") is a change of pace, but fits in well with the album still and the sound is still top notch. My favorite guitar track on this album is "You Look Like I Need a Drink." The bass is consistently dynamic and works with each song as well. The drums keep up the fast tempos well and the drums in "Turn Those Clapping Hands Into Angry Balled Fists" are especially notable. Vocals are the highlight of the album and Tom's yell/sing works perfectly on these songs. Also, the back up vocals enhance each song (especially "Cliche Guevara")which adds even more energy to the album. Plenty of sing-a-longs here. This isn't the fastest album in the world, but it is still a great punk album. One problem is that I prefer the electric version of "Sink, Florida, Sink" (which can be found on "Rock Against Bush vol. 1)to the acoustic version featured on the album, although the softer version is still good. There is also an acoustic version of "You Look Like I Need a Drink" (which is found on Take Action! Vol. 4) that is good but this electric version is much better. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are insightful and creative, not quite as political as their other albums, but they provide originality still. Best lyrics on the album are on "Sink, Florida, Sink" Plenty of "whoas" are thrown in there too, which allow people to sing along. Clever song titles too, which can't hurt. // 9

Overall Impression: Best songs: "T.S.R." "Cliche Guevara" "Sink, Florida, Sink" (though the electric version is better)and "You Look Like I Need a Drink" Good: This album is easily accessible to most fans of punk music, it's fast, loud, and the acoustic songs even work well. The vocals are quality and, musically this is a very great album. These songs are fun to play along with, also. Bad: It's a really short album (25 min) and really leaves the listener wanting more. The inclusion of different versions of songs may affect this too based on people's preferences. Overall, it's a great album and it really showcases some of the best songs that Against Me has ever made. Much better than their newer music. // 9

More Against Me reviews rating latest review