Reinventing Axl Rose Review

against me: Reinventing Axl Rose
Released: Jan 6, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk Rock
Fantastic folk/punk, like Billy Bragg/Stiff Little Fingers/Clash: a socio-political soundtrack for those about to rock! This is the first document of Against Me! in their new form as an electric, four piece band.
 8.9
 9.5
 8.3
Reinventing Axl Rose Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2005

Sound: Against Me has basicly made their own genre of music for themselves. This masterpiece is full of 3 chord punk runs, and the occasional spaghetti western sounding riff, in a nutshell, this is folk-influenced hardcore punk. Extemely simple and memorable sound. This album is extremely from the just plain pissed off "Politics Of The Starving," to the meaningfull "Pints Of Guiness Make You Strong" to the mellow "8 Full Hours Of Sleep." The best way I can describe this sound is one big f--ck you to poseurtastic pop punk. // 10

Lyrics: This is as lyricly driven as it could possibly be. Serious heartfelt lyrics, memorable phrases, and again, like nothing else ever heard before. Tom Gabel has quite a voice box on him. Got to love the massive choruses, it sounds like the invited all of their drunken friends over for these, and they had the time of their life recording it. Yes, quite a few songs are lead with tom just screaming his way through, but this is not metal core or hardcore or whatever the hell theyre calling it these days. I would definently compare the vocals to the raw ones of the blues greats. // 10

Overall Impression: I know this is an unwanted superficial review, but this is honestly a masterpiece. This band has bascily ruined music for me, nothing else can compare to them. I have owned this CD for well over a year, own it in every color of vinyl, and can play every song on it. This is basicly undilluted, sing along and model your life after, punk rock. Realizing the risk of this review being to "superficial, I'll give this a 4 because they are heading in a dangerously popy direction now. // 8

Reinventing Axl Rose Reviewed by: Matt_Skratch, on january 08, 2007

Sound: Against Me!'s first full length album was a great start that should be remembered as what put them on stage and not selling out to anyone. They were, and still are, maintaining their output to a samller crowd. For not selling out I give them a thumbs up! Now, this album, in my opinion, is an awesome experience of punk, folk rock, and acoustic styles that should not be overlooked. The only thing that you must keep in mind is not everybody likes against me. In fact, they appeal to only a few people who have an ear for their music. So either you like them or you hate them, there's no in between. But if you think you would like an acoustic/electric, lyrical, politcal, punk band I would highly recommend Against Me! and Reinventing Axl Rose (song & album). // 9

Lyrics: Tom Gabel (lead vocals and guitar) writes some very powerful lyrics and sings his songs with great emotion. In "Those Anarcho Punks Are Mysterious..." the first line sang is "We're all presidents, we're all congressmen, we're all cops, in waiting, we're the workers of the world, there is thought of the elite and the dispossed..." That line is metaphorical of how hipocritical we all really are and how desensitized america is today. I'm not sure about you but that hits me pretty hard. // 10

Overall Impression: Reinventing Axl Rose is a one of a kind album that can only be compared with other against me albums. Songs like "We Laugh at Danger and Break All The Rules", "Those Anarcho Punks Are Mysterious..." "Reinventing Axl Rose" (the song itself), and "Walking Is Still Honest" are great examples of the entire album's power. If I ever lost this CD I would definately re-buy it, even though the whole album is already save on my computer! // 10

More Against Me reviews rating latest review