Something's Gotta Give Review

agnostic front: Something's Gotta Give
Release Date: Jul 14, 1998
Label: Epitaph
Genres: American Underground, Punk Metal, Hardcore Punk
Something's Gotta Give might not have broken any musical barriers, but the record helped to solidify Agnostic Front's position among the punk rock elite.
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Something's Gotta Give Reviewed by: hardrock1315, on july 14, 2006

Sound: This album goes back to AF's early sound, except it's much more refined and the production is infinitely better, but without being overproduced. The result is a sonic assault of in-your-face, anthemic, angry New York Hardcore from some of the genre's pioneers. But, of course this album isn't for everyone. There are very few guitar leads, less than most of the other albums, which is not a bad thing for me, but some guitarists may find it "boring" or "untalented" because of the lack of technicality. Also, some may find the sound simply unpleasing to the ears. For me, however, it's amazing. The music still sounds fresh after 18 years of Agnostic Front. Even the rehashed "Crucified" (which was a cover to begin with) sounds just as good as it did when they first played it back in the '80s, if not better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are decent, not the best. Very angry lyrics, some of them political, some personal. Pretty much the same topics dealt with on other AF releases. However, the music and lyrics go together very well. Angry. If you've ever heard AF before, you'll know that this is what Roger (thier lead singer) is all about. No bullshit. He's not a talented singer, but he sounds awesome and manages to get his point across. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is, in my opinion, AF's best. It mixes punk, hardcore, and a tiny bit of metal so well. Songs that stand out are the title track, "Gotta Go", "My War", and "Crucified", although I can honestly say there's not a song on the album I don't like (besides "Pauly the Dog", but that's kind of a joke I guess). Some of it is a little macho bullshit, but it's still great. If I lost it or it was stolen, I would go out and get it again as quickly as I could. // 10

More Agnostic Front reviews rating latest review