The Great I Am Review

6.7
 8.3
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
The Great I Am Reviewed by: registered_user, on august 07, 2009

Sound: Agraceful, the new band from ex-Emarsosa singer/screamer Chris Roetter, is here with their debut album, The Great I Am. The sound for Agraceful can be compared to Emarosa to an extent, obviously to their only release featuring Roetter as singer, This Is Your Way Out. The guitars for Agraceful have some similarities to the guitars on that Ep, but are tuned lower. There are some very decent riffs in there, some of the standout songs for me would be A Prophecy: In Reverie, The Thing's We Believe, Revelations, and The Great I Am. The overall sound of Agraceful has a good foundation, but needs to be elaborated on in order to distinguish themselves in my opinion. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics have to be the lowest point of the album. Roetter has got to move past the breathing metaphor. The word breathing is used on probably 6 or 7 out of the 10 songs on the album and it was also used on a couple of songs on This Is Your Way Out. I have read comments on youtube of people claiming that the lyrics are very powerful, but the repetitiveness gets in the way of an emotional power for me. The flow of the lyrics definitely fits with the musical style, Roetter's lines flow very well with the music in most of the album. As for the actual melodies and screams, they have drifted a long way from Emarosa. Roetter's screams now tend to be on the lower end a lot more, although there are plenty of high screams. His actual singing gets a bit repetitive as the lines are very similar in a lot of songs. The screams are definitly the better aspect of Roetter's vocals. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall I do like this album and have been listening to it for about a month now. As I said before my favorite songs from the album would have to be A Prophecy: In Reverie, The Thing's We Believe, Revelations, and the Great I Am. The heavy parts are definitely the best aspect of the album as Roetter's screams are really powerful and emotional. The worst part of the album would have to be the lyrics for me, but I am the kind of person who really pays attention to them so they may not bother other people as much. This band has a lot of promise and I am looking forward to their further releases. // 8

Comments