Moon Safari Review

9.6
 9.5
 9.7
Moon Safari Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 08, 2003

Overall Impression: Like a lot of other people, I dismissed Air initally until I eventually decided to buy the album based on that fact that I could not get "Kelly Watch The Stars" out of my head! Little did I know that I would totally fall in love with "Moon Safari". It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. Perfect for listening to if you need to "chill out". I really mean that! This album could be prescribed as an anti-depressant. Unlike other dance music, Air use real instruments in their work and it gives the music a soul and personality. Most importantly though, Air have placed the emphasis on writing gorgeous melodies, so whether it's an instrumental track, or one of the tracks sung(beautifully) by Beth Hirsch, it will eventually work it's way into your head where it stays! My personal favourite on this album is "Remember", but other highlights include "La Femme d'Argent", "All I Need" and of course, "Kelly Watch The Stars". It may not be an "instant" album, but I can pretty much guarantee satisfaction after a few listens. // 8

Moon Safari Reviewed by: zappp, on august 08, 2003

Overall Impression: Want to improve your love life? Sleep better at night? Master the essentials of a foreign language? Make more money from the comfort of your very own home? All you need is Air's Moon Safari. You'll dance with handsome strangers to the opiated Euro-disco of "Sexy Boy," woo them with the electric torch song romance of "You Make it Easy" and fall asleep in their arms to the comfortable groove of "Talisman." OK, maybe Moon Safari won't increase your earning potential, and addressing a Parisian armed only with French song titles from instrumental tracks (the songs with lyrics are in English) may be unwise. But even if becoming a sophisticated continental lounge swinger isn't high on your priority list, this album is a handy lifestyle accessory. For one thing, it cures hangovers. There's a warmth in Air's funkier tracks ("La Femme D'Argent") that feels like morning sunshine, easing into your tired bones and psyche without unnecessary fuss. The French horn-led "Ce Matin La," meanwhile, is Air's "Let's Go Away for a While," and it's so relaxing it makes Brian Wilson's pet sounds sound like two dogs barking. From French easy, rare groove and spare house, Air have fashioned a surprise classic. It's all done with a mixture of nonchalance and striking virtuosity, and it will win over even the most severe francophobe. // 10

Moon Safari Reviewed by: rds_1979ca, on august 08, 2003

Overall Impression: So, have you heard Air yet? If the answer is no, then it sucks to be you. You are probably wondering who these guys are, especially since they are popping up on best of '98 lists everywhere. Spin voted them as the fifth best album of the year. I am putting them in my list as well. But how can a band you have never heard of, or if you have - you probably have heard little, be praised so highly? The media doesn't think it will sell. Who would want to turn on the radio to hear what sounds like elevator music gone electronic anyways? I don't. But these two Frenchmen pulled it off. And they did a damn good job while they were at it. Air has gone forward while the rest of the musical world has stood still. The strange part is that they have done so by going backwards at the same time. Their updated combination of lounge, muzak, and electronica is a sound like we have never heard. Unlike the typical electronic music of today, this is not set to be a dancefloor favorite. Although it is all smoother and more down tempo, it is not ambient either. Theirs is a sound all their own. Highlights include their first single - "Sexy Boy" but there is much more. "Kelly Watch the Stars" mixes 80's Europop with 60's French style. "Ce Matin La" and "La Femme D' Argent" are both electronic lounge at its finest. The artistic talents of Nicolas Godin and Jean Benoit Dunckel are unsurpassed in this field - it is no wonder they have a following by American greats Beck and Mike D. (There is a remix of "Sexy Boy" done by Beck here.) If you ever imagined sitting in a waiting room in the not-so-distant future, waiting for a flight somewhere - but nowhere in particular - this is the theme music for that feeling. You don't care where you are. You don't care when you are. You don't care where you are going. What is important is the where this music takes you - and it takes me to places I have never been before; like no place in my wildest dreams. // 10

Moon Safari Reviewed by: dead_kennedy, on april 16, 2004

Sound: When I first heard the track off Moon Safari of which before I didn't even know who Air was I was blown away. The jazz styles of the bass mixed with the funky electronica, the whole album is a masterpeice. The album will put you in a state of relaxation that whenever you hear it you'd want to drop whatever your doing, pull up a couch and a nice bottle of champagne and act like your posh. // 10

Lyrics: Although the album is mostly just instrumentals and the occasional electronic vocal on 2 occasions Air bring in Beth Hirsch to sing and she does it beautifully. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is truly fascinating and I urge music fans everywhere to buy it. Jean-Benoit Dunckel and Nicolas Godin (Air) are obviously masterminds in what they do and they do it bloody well. They play all of the instruments which I do appreciate and they do make some beautiful music from it. The most impressive songs on the album to me are all of them. They are all crafted very carefully. I would would literally run out to my music store straight away if I found it was stolen or lost. Straight from "Le Femme D' Argent" to "Le Voyage De Penelope" it is a musical safari. // 10

More Air reviews rating latest review
+ Pocket Symphony 9 07/04/2007