Talkie Walkie Review

air: Talkie Walkie
Released: Feb 17, 2004
Genre: Electronica
Styles: Ambient Pop, Electronica
It's meltingly good stuff - a collection of cool, cosmic pop songs that dispense with notions of time and space, wallowing instead on a cloud of poignant psychedelia.
 8.2
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Talkie Walkie Reviewed by: iamjosh, on may 27, 2005

Sound: It departs alot from the harder electro of 10,000 Hz Legend, but doesn't quite have the same sound of the synth-jazz-pop from Moon Safari either; it's both organic and electronic - you can tell in the first few seconds after you pop it in the player. "Venus" the first song is dominated piano and guitar, the beat kept by handclaps. It's still a very electro song, but more subtly. Which sums up most of the record. "Surfing On A Rocket" is a standout, lead by a strong elecronic beat and electric guitar, but you're prepared for it after the high-energy instrumental "Mike Mills." A few songs bring in a banjo into their quiet electronic storm, which suprisingly works very well. The album ends quietly with "Alone In Kyoto," the song written for "Lost In Translation" another Sopia Coppola film. Sounds good to me. // 10

Lyrics: This category isn't always nessasary to Air on this CD however 7 out of 10 songs do have lyrics, making liberal use of their whispy voices. Nowhere do the vocals shine as they do on the first single "Cherry Blossom Girl," however. They compliment the music perfectly. Now if you're looking for a lil lyrical depth, not so much I don't think. The sound of Air's voices works very well, the words don't seem to matter. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a dern good album. So those of you who were browsing the record store and stumbled upon that new Air record and thought "Well I dunno, I haven't heard too much about it, don't wanna really gamble my money here, I mean ehh, naah" are missing out. Go pick it up. And if you're wondering if you need the extra DVD, you don't. It's a poinless 35 minute "live video" that inclues much less of Air live than I'd like and much more of Air being bored backstage that I'd like. Shouldn't jack up the price though, so you have no excuse for not having bought this album yet. I know if I losted this album, it would soon find its way back onto my CD rack. // 10

More Air reviews rating latest review
+ Pocket Symphony 9 07/04/2007