Runnin' Wild Review

airbourne: Runnin' Wild
Release Date: Jan 29, 2008
Label: Roadrunner Records
Genres: Hard Rock
These bad boys hail from Australia and their stripped down guitar rock is filled with tales about women, alcohol and partying. No, we're not talking about AC/DC. Everyone meet Airbourne, the newest ambassadors of sleaze-n-roll!
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.3
 9.2
 9.4
Runnin' Wild Reviewed by: Jacocrew, on july 18, 2007

Sound: Aussie rockers "Airbourne" released their debut album on June 23rd. The first single "Runnin' Wild" grabs you and never lets go, so I was very excited to hear the rest of the album and was very, very pleased with what I heard. Airboure's sound is that of a young rock legend, AC/DC. Their sound is just plain Rock 'n' Roll laced with fun riffs and understated solos. // 9

Lyrics: All right people/Welcome to the show/Are you ready to rock? /Are you ready to go?/Now we've got what you want/And we've got what you need/So get your ass down here/And let your ears bleed, Stand Up For Rock'N'Roll. It's as clear a statement of intent as you're ever likely to hear. One verse that says everything you need to know about Melbourne four piece Airbourne and their debut album, Runnin' Wild: forget your worries, get down to the front of the stage and lose your mind to some ear-bleeding, sweat-soaked rock'n'roll. Or, as the song continues, Drink your beer/Drink your wine/Let's have a good time. Joel O'Keeffe's volcals remind you of a young Bon Scott or Jesse James Dupree from Jackyl and the lyrics go hand-in-hand with the sound of the album with emphysis on girls, living fast and more girls, with cuts like "Cheap Wine, Cheaper Women, Girls in Black, Runnin' Wild and their second release "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast". // 9

Overall Impression: From the album's fist-pumping title track to the anthemic What's Eatin' You and the self-explanatory rock explosions of Girls In Black and Cheap Wine, Runnin' Wild is an exercise in booze-and-sweat soaked rock'n'roll that isn't looking to change the world by abolishing Free Trade, but simply provide the ultimate soundtrack to the biggest all-night party there is. // 10

Runnin' Wild Reviewed by: UG Team, on february 06, 2008

Sound: When you kick off your debut album with a song called Stand Up for Rock-n-Roll, you better deliver the goods to back it up! Airbourne actually go above and beyond the task. Once they get past the guitar intro's arrpegiated crescendos, the band come in full strength to start things off in fine blues-rock fashion! The filthy toned guitars of Joel O'Keeffe (also the lead singer) and David Roads tip their hat to the work of AC/DC's assault team of Angus and Malcolm Young as well as The Cult's Billy Duffy. O'Keeffe and Roads deal out the kinds of riffs that will inspire air guitarists from Osaka to Omaha! The thick barre chords that open up Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast, reminiscent of Kiss staple Cold Gin, just begs you to reach for the volume knob. The meat and potatoes production by Bob Marlette (Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper) is a no-brainer. He does a stellar job of capturing the rhythm section of drummer Ryan O'Keeffe and four stringer Justin Street's steady bottom end. There was no need to clutter the sound or arrangements here and the veteran producer does a great job of getting out of the way and letting the songs breathe out. // 8

Lyrics: Any band that names one of their songs Cheap Wine & Cheaper Women isn't going to win a Pulitzer Prize. But then again, Highway to Hell didn't either and we're still singing along almost thirty years later. Airbourne's lyrics embody the very things that made rock-n-roll so dangerous yet alluring in the first place. Bon Scott would have been proud of gems like, I sealed the deal and she said "yes"/so I put my hands right up her dress/ N' she said what's been taking you so long, from the song Heartbreaker. The AC/DC comparisons never stop coming with Stand Up for Rock-n-Roll being a close lyrical cousin to Let There Be Rock with it's brash declarations and tales of depravity. // 8

Overall Impression: My fellow critics throughout Europe have largely dismissed Airbourne as nothing more than mere clones. Do they ape a lot of, OK, most of AC/DC's blueprint? Sure they do. So has Rhino Bucket, Jet, Dirty Looks, Supagroup, The Datsuns and many others. Some have fared much better than others. The bottom line is Airbourne do it better than anyone else. They don't only nail the sound down, they also capture the very essence of what continues to make AC/DC so revered in the first place. This is where most of the other tributes fell short. Joel O'Keeffe's police siren of a voice is tailor made for blitzkriegs like Blackjack and What's Eatin' You. He snarls and screeches through every line as if someone has a gun pointed at his head! He also gets double points for his incendiary lead guitar solos. Not only do scream out like vintage Joe Perry, they're instantly memorable. They are so utterly ingrained into the fabric of the songs that if your band ever decides to cover them, you'll have to learn the solo note for note. So let the critics have their say but don't let them rain on this parade. You have to take Runnin' Wild for all it really is; a kick-ass, party-rock record! If they ever decide to release a deluxe edition of this album, they should include a six-pack of the best Australian beer! // 8

Runnin' Wild Reviewed by: Ledzeppelin0094, on september 05, 2008

Sound: My brother was the first to tell me about Airbourne, he told me to get the album and I did and I thought it was great. They have a great style, they are a little like AC/DC. They have some great riffs such as Too Much Too Young Too Fast, Cheap Wine and Cheaper Women, Stand up For Rock n Roll. I hope they put out another album soon. // 10

Lyrics: I found most of the lyrics good, the only thing I didn't like was in too much too young too fast he says "too much too young too fast, I'm gonna drink it up while it last. too much too young too fast, I'm gonna tear it up so fill my glass." I think he should have said, "too much too young too fast, I'm gonna drink it up so fill my glass, too much too young too fast, I'm gonna tear it up while it last" that seems to make more sense. I do also think the singer could be a little better, but he gets the job done, that's all that counts. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums ever, I can't get enough of it, the songs never get old. My favorite songs are Too Much Too Young Too Fast, Cheap Wine and Cheaper Women, Stand up For Rock n Roll, and Running Wild. I just love this there is nothing I hate about it... it's great, if I lost it I would by another one immediatley. // 9

Runnin' Wild Reviewed by: ac/dc#1fan, on march 17, 2008

Sound: If you are like me, just waiting for that rock band with a grinding, in-your-face, kick you in the ass sound, well, Airbourne is your band! The band is called "pub rock", joining the likes of rock legends AC/DC, to whom they can be compared to. With solid, heart thumping drums, followed by steady bass, and two guitars that sound like they are ripping through the over-loaded amps, the band's eleven song album is just right for all you rock and roll fans out there. // 10

Lyrics: Joel O'Keeffe provides ear-shaddering vocals through out the whole album. The songs are about the simple things in life:cheap booze, cheap women and sex. I mean, who can argue with that? Not to mention the harmony of back up singers David Rhodes (guitar) and Justin Street (bass) that just adds sprinkles 2 the cake. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great album that gives you a break from the pop and emo bands of the world today by pumping your ears full of good old dirty rock and roll. The whole album is graet, but some of the better songs are "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast", "Runnin Wild" and the sure to be rock anthem, "Stand Up For Rock And Roll". For all the classic rock fans out there, this is perfect. If it was stolen/lost, I would but one instantly, maybe even two! // 10

Runnin' Wild Reviewed by: Shabalaba, on june 25, 2008

Sound: With the intro of "Stand Up for Rock 'N' Roll" you can tell this album is something special. Reminiscent of earlier AC/DC, and I wont deny it, Airbourne obviously are influenced by AC/DC, with the same style of music and the way they write it but I feel they have keyed into it at the right time. I buy a lot of new albums and barely any of them have a spark about them, they are the same as all the other bands in their genre, whereas these are unlike any band around today in their prime. As soon as I heard "Stand Up for Rock 'N' Roll" I got a big smile on my face, and it stayed throughout the album, with memorable tracks such as "Runnin' Wild", "Diamond in the Rough" or "Girls in Black" this album will blow you away. Not to say the rest of the album isn't as good, I loved most of it but I felt some songs weren't up to the same standard as the rest, such as "Fat City" and "Cheap Wine & Cheaper Women". // 9

Lyrics: Now the lyrics aren't the best, they are good for what they are but some of it is a bit uncreative and simple but, I feel they suit the music perfect. This isn't to say the lyrics are in any way bad, I just feel they repeat topics throughout the album and they just aren't as special as the sound of the instruments. Joel O'Keeffe is a great singer, he has a gruff voice but is still able to hit those high notes. On top of this O'Keeffe plays lead guitar in the band so this shows his skill in both aspects. // 8

Overall Impression: This album blew me away, it really did. I loved every minute of it, I found it extremely pleasurable to listen to. The only problem is their second album needs to beat this! This album is a definite buy for any rock fan, this band appeals to such a wide audience, I have heard indie kids listening to this, metal heads and even my dad! If it were lost I would be down at the shops before you could even finish the sentence "your Airbourne CD is lost", I really do love this album and I feel anyone who gives it a chance will as well. // 9

Runnin' Wild Reviewed by: cobaindrix, on september 17, 2008

Sound: Imagine this: Take the stereotype for a hard and fast gritty rock n roll band, make them a little bit more bogan-ish, and then double it! That is Airbourne. If you're looking for that rock n roll spirit captured by AC/DC, this is it. Not that they have copied AC/DC, they just happen to make the same sort of hard rockin' music that is sadly in short supply these days. The drums are basic and loud in the mix (perfect for this sort of thing) and the guitars are loud, gritty and with just the right amount of rock n roll twang. The solos are bluesy and Reminiscent of the something perhaps Angus Young might come up with, the riffs are tight, explosive and fun, the vocals, in my oppinion, are near perfect for rock. The whole thing is well produced and mixed. // 10

Lyrics: Do not expect meaningful lyrics, with deep messages or socio-political commentary. Be warned that if you are looking for thought provoking, intellectually stimulating poetry, you are have got the wrong album. This is an album where you just switch off your mind and rock out and indulge in the spirit and fun of the music. The lyrics are about sex, women, drinkin', gamblin', more women and more sex. The singing is basically flawless for this type of thing. // 9

Overall Impression: To me, Airbourne are like a s harder, heavier, fresher sort of AC/DC type band. They stand tall amonst a crowd of emo/hip hop/lastest pop music/generic indie bands. I wish they had been around 20 years ago, so that by now they would be regarded as a classic rock band. Unfortunately, they will probably not achieve the level of fame and success they deserve. My favourite songs from the album are Diamond In The Rough, Stand Up For Rock 'N' Roll, Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast, Fat City, Heartbreaker, heck all of them. The thing I hate most is that I wish it had more songs on it! Airbourne aren't pretending to be hip or cool, they don't claim to be a progressive artsy fusion band, they are just pure rock! If that is your thing, get this CD. // 10

Runnin' Wild Reviewed by: loco999, on november 28, 2008

Sound: This album is nothing but pure hard rock. For me thats the best rock album in past five years. You put it in your CD player and you hear the thunder of raw riffs, huge overdrive, screaming vocals, great back vocals, lots of gain and hot guitar solos. Sound of guitars is very aggressive and powerful, bass is boosted and it sounds great, drums fit in just perfect, and lead vocal is combination of Bon Scott and Brian Johnson. Funny thing is that Airbourne came also from Australie like AC/DC and I've read some stupid comments that Joel O'Keefe from Airbourne is reincarnation of AC/DC's Bon Scott. Lots of people compare them with AC/DC. Yeah, at the first time I thought that too, but when you listen to the album few times you will find a huge differences. I like the opening of album ("Stand Up for Rock 'n' Roll") , it starts with great intro that is getting faster and faster, then boom, drumer gives 1-2-3-4 sign on hit-hat, then agin comes fast riff and great guitar solo. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrcs include themes like rock'n'roll aint dead, women, drinking and life on streets. I'm pretty sure thah all young teenage girls won't like their lyrics. There are many similarity between Airbournes and AC/DC's lyrics but there are also some differences. In songs "Diamond in the Rough", "Fat City", "Whats Eatin' You" and "Cheap wine & Cheaper Women" Airbourne tells some stories abour something, but that type of "story-lyrics" is very rare with AC/DC. But both of them use cool and catchy names, wich in Airbournes case are "Hellfire", "Heartbreaker", "Girls in Black"...Now, something about the singer. Well, I've mentioned that Joel sounds like Bon and Brian together, and I ain't heard any new singer like that in past 10 years. His voice totally fits their fast, hard music. // 10

Overall Impression: Why can I say here. I mean, its perfect. They sound like you have taken the speed of Motorhead and riffs and vocals of AC/DC and putted it in one new band. Its perfect combination. Album contains few potential hits like "Too Much Too Young Too Fast" with great refrain, "Diamond in the Rough" with hard riffs and catchy refrain and "Runnin' Wild" with fast riffs and great "Hey, hey, hey" back vocals. You know that album must be great if Lemmy had joined them on video for "Runnin' Wild" and asked if they wanna tour with Motorhead. // 10

More Airbourne reviews rating latest review
+ Black Dog Barking 7.6 05/21/2013