Jersey Shores Review

Akimbo: Jersey Shores
Released: Sep 30, 2008
Genre: Rock
Label: Neurot Recordings
The newest release from Seattle's hardcore rockers. Akimbo have proven themselves time and time again to be at the top of their game.
 4.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Jersey Shores Reviewed by: Mr. Hand, on march 09, 2009

Sound: The newest release from Seattle's hardcore rockers (And debut album for Neurot Recordings) had me on edge at first. I'm from nowhere near Washington, but I love Seattle more than most of the local diehards. Akimbo have proven themselves time and time again to be at the top of their game, yet with their newest release, I had the impression they would be treading far from shore (lol pun) with it. The truth? I was proven wrong, as yet again Akimbo have released yet another prodigious album that leaves my bowels as clean as a germophobes toilet. Their is nothing lacking in the 'heavy' department, but in all is about in the same realm of crushing as Navigating The Bronze was, with some slower, almost post-rock-esque interludes, and those hardcore face-melting riffs they are best known for. Some of the slower more atmospheric parts make me wonder if the fact they are working with the guys at Neurot now (as we all know the fam from which that lable has arisen) but at the same time, it's nothing too detracting from the music, as all the slow stuff still ties in well with the songs. This is a successful attempt by a seasoned band. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, the band has moved on to less literal subjects from their first albums, and started writing (like their previous release) about more seriously orate subjects, but not coming off as pretentious in the meanwhile. It's really cool stuff. I wouldn't go as far as to say spiritual. Listen for yourself. Everyone interprates it different. // 9

Overall Impression: This is definitely a great album, by a great band. I'm proud to be as big of a fan as these guys I am for the years I have been diggin' 'em, and will be a fan for many years to come, especially if they keep putting out releases like this one. Riffs are crushing, and fast. Drums pound your head into the ground and the rumbling bass and roaring vocals will have any fan of hardcore, sludge, punk, crust, and anything in between begging for more. A great album if you are just getting into them, and an even greater one if you already love them. // 10

Comments