Feast On Scraps Review

Genre: Rock
Style: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Feast On Scraps Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 07, 2003

Overall Impression: I have to admit first off that I'm an avid Alanis fan, so I might be a bit biased...but I still have valid opinions! *LOL* When I first purchased this CD/DVD compilation, I was somewhat hesitant. I have seen/purchased live DVDs before and have never been pleased. The behind-the-scenes footage always seems hokey and contrived and I find myself skipping over it to see the live concert footage, which generally lacks in production value. Not to mention that I had already bought all the singles released from "Under Rug Swept" and, therefore, already owned the majority of the songs on the CD. (As a side note, I was disappointed that Alanis left off "Awakening Americans"...one of my favorite B-sides...but "Simple Together" and "Purgatorying" more than made up for it, if you ask me.) Nevertheless, I wanted to see the DVD. I haven't been fortunate enough to see Alanis in concert, so I wanted to at least get that experience somehow. I popped the DVD in and from beginning to end, I was mesmerized. While some of the concert footage lacks in sound quality, it's to be expected with the vastly different venues they feature. You really get to experience Alanis in more than just one venue. And the behind-the-scenes footage? Let's just say that I found myself fast forwarding through some of the live performances just to see the next b-t-s clip! Alanis and Co. are hilarious, sweet, and down-to-earth. I do have favorites, too. My favorite live performance(s) are the trio of "Purgatorying". My favorite b-t-s clips are when Alanis pulls up next to a young woman in a car and she's blasting "Hands Clean," unaware (but not for long) of the singer sitting in the next lane. They converse briefly, the fan unsure of what to say. But my favorite is the b-t-s of Alanis writing "Surrender". As a songwriter, this clip really hit home. The frustration and tears that you see Alanis experience aren't contrived or played up for theatrics...they're real and you can tell. All in all, the few faults of this compilation are overwhelmed by the shining moments. Even if you're only a mediocre Alanis fan, you would still enjoy and benefit from owning this CD/DVD set. BUY IT! // 10

More Alanis Morissette reviews rating latest review