Jagged Little Pill Review

artist: alanis morissette date: 03/07/2012 category: compact discs
alanis morissette: Jagged Little Pill
Released: Jun 13, 1995
Genre: Rock
Tones: Brooding, Cynical/Sarcastic, Ironic, Confrontational, Earnest, Intimate, Theatrical, Provocative, Intense, Reflective
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge
 Lyrics: 9.5
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
Jagged Little Pill Reviewed by: rds_1979ca, on august 07, 2003

Overall Impression: When I first listened to Jagged Little Pill CD, I was going through a painful breakup with a boyfriend. This album seemed to capture much of the rage, hurt, and confusion that can go through a woman's heart and mind when it seems that the world has turned upside down. All I Really Want Although much of her lyrics do not always make sense to me, they can relate to me on other levels that I cannot quite explain. Her thoughts are fragmented and seem to skip around at times; however, by the end of the song, absolution is there. This song is like that. It depicts an angry, confused woman struggling to find her way through confusion and disillusionment of life. You Oughta Know You Oughta Know is a little on the blunt side, but it is still a favorite of mine. A friend of mine said this should have been my theme when the guy I was referring to at the beginning of this review had broken up with me for a girl her had been chatting with on IRC. Alanis became an icon for the heartbroken, angry spurned women of the world. Perfect This song I believe was directed toward Alanis' parents that apparently placed much pressure on her to be the very best at everything. I think Alanis is crying out to say Hey, I'm okay the way I am and that she may not have turned out the way her parents would have wanted, but she is determined to be an individual. Hand In My Pocket Alanis tries to convey her thoughts about hope for her future and trying to figure how to survive in life. Right Through You I believe the man that hurt Alanis terribly is mentioned in this piece. She tells of the abuse she suffered and how she was used and discarded. But the story has a good ending. She picks herself up and not only survives, she becomes a success with any help from the one that never really loved her. This is an encouraging tune to those that have been in a similar position and is trying to get back on their feet. Forgiven These lyrics are cloudy to me, but I think they have a lot to do with her religion and how she was raised. She appears to be trying to understand how the puzzle of life fits together. You Learn This is another one of my favorites of this album. It has a catchy theme and is very unique. Alanis has a special way with the lyrics and sound of this tune. It is all about learning. Learning can be a very difficult process when one cannot meet their goals. Head Over Feet This is a wonderful love song within a sector of venom. This is refreshing! The listener can become worn after listening to all the emotionally griping tunes thus far. This song is light in nature and portrays a woman that has fallen in love because of one that never gave up on her. Mary Jane Alanis sings about Mary Jane, a good friend that is doomed in her apparent new lifestyle. Ironic Ironic is another interesting song among all the other great hits of this album. The song points out different examples of life circumstances that turn out differently than expected (or as one would have hoped). Not The Doctor This tune is a great cut-the-umbilical-cord from the dead beat that is dragging you down song. Alanis sings about taking responsibility for her own self but that she did not want to be responsible for the one that is using her as a crutch. Wake Up The final tune is about someone that takes the least path of resistance through life. Alanis is singing about trying to wake that person from their spell. Overall this is a very interesting album with a variety of musical styles and a new type of message to many women out there. Alanis related to millions of women in the audience with her heart-wrenching lyrics and down-to-earth presentation. // 10

Jagged Little Pill Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 07, 2012

Sound: Have you ever felt like you're boiling inside, can't let it out and then someone comes up to you and says: "OK, now go"? Alanis Morissette has, for sure. This angry young woman's been singing since childhood, and even put out 2 mediocre records in early 90s, but without much success. It all started when she came to LA in 1994 to seek for a producer/collaborator, instead she got robbed on the street and that finally has triggered her creativity towards a new level. Glen Ballard, the producer, soon responded to Morissette's request, the connection between them was "instant". The two began writing and recording songs right away. First came out "Perfect" - done in a single take (which ended up being on the LP), "You Oughta Know" and "Ironic" followed after. All of that and more resulted in "Jagged Little Pill" - a record consisting of 12 pure, uncut, raucious emotions projected on the tape with zero interference. The anger and despair here aren't distilled, they're highly concentrated instead and thrown up in your face. I may not know who or what these songs are about - all I can tell for sure is that she REALLY means what she's singing. // 7

Lyrics: "Jagged Little Pill" is one of the few albums where lyrics are as powerful as the music, if not more. "All I Really Want", "You Oughta Know", "Right Through You" are rallying feminist hymns, "Head Over Feet" and "Mary Jane" describe a woman, stranded, lost inside herself. But, then again, Alanis' lyrical hero feels quite alright all by herself: "Ah, you ditched me, bastard - now get this!". Morissette's vocals on the album range from peaceful, insinuating whispers ("Perfect") to the furious angry rants ("All I Really Want"). And I bet, most of the songs on the LP represent a single vocal take - you cannot just stop singing Ironic before the chorus, take a rest, and then go on recording. // 9

Overall Impression: "Jagged Little Pill" came out just in time: grunge had already started to wear out, but the spirit of alienation and "passive agressive" was still out there. Alanis Morissette just kicked the door open, stormed in and said: "Here I am, young and anxious, and I don't give a sh*t if you like me or not". Best songs are "All I Really Want", "You Oughta Know", "You Learn", "Ironic". The album struggles with some fillers though, like "Forgiven", "Not The Doctor", "Wake Up", but they still carry the same traits as their more successful hit counterparts. In the 90s, if you were not living in a nuclear bunker waiting for WWIII, you should've heard this record. And I really like "Jagged Little Pill", cause they just don't put out records like this any more. // 8

Jagged Little Pill Reviewed by: starbomb13, on july 28, 2004

Sound: The sound of the music in this album is perfect for the mood intended in each song. In the more aggressive songs, you can feel the guitars, the drums, and the voice get more aggressive as well. In the softer songs you can hear the beautiful harmonica, nice organ,light guitars,and the soothing drum beats creating beautiful music. The most agressive song has gotta be "You Oughta Know", with the help of Dave Navarro and Flea - the music is really catchy and to-the-point. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have got to be my favourite part of the album. They're Clever, In-Your-Face, and At Times, it catches you off guard. Such as in "You Oughta Know", where there's a line that goes:" are you thinking about me when you fuck her?" my favourite songs-lyrically, is "Hand In My Pocket" and "Ironic", where she often compares two extremes in such a clever way. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the fact that this album is very relatable and is probably somewhat of a "girl power" thing, and I'm not talking about the Spice Girls' kind of girl power". There's a sense of empowerement listening to this album. If you were one of the guys Alanis was singing about - you'd probably try to get the farthest away from her. (In one song, she sings: "everytime my nails go down someone's back, I hope you're feeling it. Can you feel it?") If you were just someone like me listening to the album, you'd be like "whoa, this girl has attitude. She don't take shit. She will get you if you fuck with her." That's probably not the message intended of the album, but you get the idea of that when you listen to it. // 10

More Alanis Morissette reviews rating latest review