Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie Review

Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge
 9.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 07, 2003

Overall Impression: While it's not a repudiation of her blockbuster, Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is a clear step forward, teeming with ambition and filled with new musical ideas and different sonic textures. Morissette's voice still sears, but she has more control over her singing, rarely reaching the piercing heights that occasionally made Pill jarring. Also, she has clearly spent some time crafting her lyrics; not only do they never sound like straight diary entries, she no longer is trying to fit too many syllables into a phrase. These two differences are subtle ? the brooding, Eastern-styled music that dominates Supposed is not. There are numerous extensions of the vague hip-hop and pop fusions that made "Hand in Pocket" and "All I Really Want" huge hits ("Front Row," "UR," "Thank U," "So Pure"), but much of the album is devoted to moody ballads and mid-tempo pop, where the textured production functions as a backdrop for Morissette's crypticly introspective lyrics. Far from being alienating, this approach works surprisingly well ? not only do the pop tunes sound catchier, but the ballads, with their winding melodies and dark colors, sound strong and brave. If anything, the record is more coherent album than its predecessor and even if it isn't as accessible or as compulsively listenable, it's a richer record. That said, it won't win any new fans ? for all of her success, Morissette is a weird acquired taste, due to her idiosyncratic vocals and doggedly convoluted confessionals ? but it certainly confirms that she doesn't quite sound like anyone else, either. // 8

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie Reviewed by: jonnyf, on march 14, 2008

Sound: This album is completely different to her most successful album, 'Jagged Little Pill' and is definitely one of my favorites. With a very experimental style of music, it conveys a range of complex emotions and personal experience. Although many can't relate to it directly, I think that everyone can at least take away something meaningful to them from it. The structure of the lyrics and sounds are kind of offbeat in some songs, but altogether represent the emotion that she is trying to show. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing, very true to her, and to those that can relate. As always she shows her brilliant writing skills with deep and meaningful lyrics, that strongly describe how she'd feeling at the time. Her voice really compliments the structure of the songs with an excellent vocal range and unique sound. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is in my top 2 favorite albums of all time (the first being Jagged Little Pill). Her music abilities are unbelievable in my opinion and she is one of the very few artists who really do it for the music and not for money or fame. The best songs from the album, I think, are 'Sympathetic Character', 'So Pure', 'Joining You', 'Thank You", Can't Not' and 'One', but I love them all really. I can't really compare it to any other album because it's so unique. I just like the way it's so powerful and actually means something to her and everyone who appreciates it. It's one amazing album! // 10

More Alanis Morissette reviews rating latest review