Alexisonfire Review

artist: alexisonfire date: 08/03/2006 category: compact discs
alexisonfire: Alexisonfire
Released: Aug 26, 2003
Genre: Rock
Alexisonfire have combined ear stabbing screams, intricate guitar melodies and beautiful singing to create a very exciting musical juxtaposition.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.4
 9.5
 9.3
Alexisonfire Reviewed by: Camm, on august 03, 2006

Sound: The sound of this debut, self-titled album is intense. When I first heard the introduction to 44. Caliber Love Letter, 4 years ago, I knew I was getting into something unique. Alexisonfire ranges from hints of punk and emo to dashes of hardcore, metal, and screamo. They really do throw everything into a pot and stir it; and what's in that spoon really couldn't taste any better. Heavy guitars, pretty tight drums, and some skillful bass all sung and screamed over by two talented vocalists; this album really does stand out. This album set the stage for a new kind of post-hardcore music. This music isn't for everyone, as some may find George's screams a little overwhelming, and some may find some of the guitars to be too demonic at times. The technical guitars and driving melodies drive many wild, myself included. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are beyond any that I have ever heard. Many of these songs have been written in story form as taken from George's life. Some lyrics are about TV shows, and some are about movies. The lyrics are well written and put together, and really fit in with the musical genre. The most impressive part of this album is the layered singing and screaming. In each song, you are given the convicting, determined screams of a lost man, George Pettit, in one ear; and the soft, searching cries of Dallas Green in the other ear. Occasionally you will even get a raspy, demonic voice in your ear, that of Wade MacNeil. A story is told in two parts with each line. The songs are very cryptic and take a while to figure out; which is something I adore. Coming to your own conclusions about these songs is part of the fun. The strength of the three vocalists on this album really shines during parts where three lines are sung/screamed at once. Live performances impress the ears just as much as the recorded material. Random thoughts, searching cries, and teen angst riddle this album, and it's amazing. As a side note, the album art is inspired by the events described in track 4, A Dagger Through the Heart of St. Angeles. The Catholic school girls fight in broken frames through out the lyrics booklet, and would actually make a good short film. // 10

Overall Impression: Although I can't say that I dislike any song on the album, I occasionally skip Jubella, and will leave Little Girls Pointing and Laughing on repeat. That pretty much sums up my favourite and least favourite songs. This group of Canadians does not fail to impress with this debut album, that they recorded when some of them were only 17! Even with such young age, this album beats out a lot of older bands that have the same general feel to their music. With this album, Alexisonfire truly stood out among the rest of the crowd. The things I love about this album are the amazing singing and screaming, the lyrics that are being screamed and sung, and most importantly; the technical guitars. The guitars are amazing for the genre we are talking about here. There are no solos on this album, but who needs them when you have sick harmonies and ridiculous timings? Beautiful interludes in Little Girls Pointing and Laughing, Counterparts and Number Them, and Polaroids of Polar Bears really show off what these boys can do; where the entirety of A Dagger Through the Heart of St. Angeles and Pulmonary Archery show off some of the faster, darker, and sicker things these guys are capable of. What I don't like about this album is that it only has 11 tracks and doesn't take a lot of time to listen to all the way through. However, these guys have a habit of making 11 track albums. I wish that they had put more work into bringing out Dallas' voice more, as he is sometimes drowned out by crunching riffs and deafening screams. I would have liked to have seen some more drumming skill, as there aren't many fills anywhere on the album. The drums are still very well done, but they won't win a best drummer award. I have had it stolen, and I have bought it again. If it ever happened again, I'd hunt it down and buy it again. It's not expensive anyways. If you're looking for something different, but still heavy, melodic, demonic, eccentric, and downright rockin', pick up this album and start learning some of those guitar riffs! This album was my favourite of 2002, and it remains my favourite of all time. Some may scoff that comment, but I stand by it. I listen to it once a day. // 9

Alexisonfire Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2004

Sound: The sound is good if you like their style which is screamo. The guitars and drums are good. So is the bass. The guitars match the style. The drums have excellent rythme and the bass matches. If you can get past the screaming (wich I can) you will see the vocalists voice is amazing and matches the band. A definate 5! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good but sometimes dont make much sense. Most of the songs are like stories which I like. George screams them out perfectly. Dallas guitarist/vocalist has a smooth voice which matches any song (except the end of waterwings). The ony bad part is the spoken word parts like in polaroids of polar bears other than that its good! // 8

Overall Impression: I love this cd! its one of my favourites (right up there with high voltage!) The best songs are Counter Parts And Number Them and Kennedy Curse. I love how this band is so unique and how they wrap the songs up. I also love the long intros. I don't like the spoken word parts of the CD. If it were lost or stolen I'd buy it again for sure since it's only $10. If it were more I'd just burn it. // 10

Alexisonfire Reviewed by: cawolz, on august 08, 2005

Sound: First of, the style in this album is indubitably screamo, so if you don't like that genre, you might not like this album. The guitar harmony on this album is awesome; it unexpectedly goes together. I love the bass solos since Alexisonfire actually does them. The drumming is good too. // 10

Lyrics: I love random lyrics, so that makes me partial to this album. Alexis writes simple but phenomenal lyrics like "I lied when I said I was hard, because I'm as soft as a thrift store sweater and twice as worn in." The lyrics fit very well with the music, and the singing/screaming skill are amazing. George displays the emotion of the lyrics very well, whereas Dallas adds a crooning touch to the otherwise screamo music. // 10

Overall Impression: I really enjoyed this album and now I'd have to number Alexisonfire as one of my favorite bands. It's hard for me to choose the songs I like the best, but they would have to be "Where No One Knows" and "The Kennedy Curse." I would buy this album again if I needed too. I would recommend this album to anyone who likes screamo or emo. // 10

Alexisonfire Reviewed by: Kaney, on january 30, 2006

Sound: Alexisonfire have a truly incredible and unique sound. Mixing screaming harmonies with melody in a different way to most bands out there. The dual guitars are really amazing and throughout alot of the songs on the album there are pauses with instrumentals. They have really created a fantastic and unique style for themselves and keep a consistent style and standard of song all the way through. People who like bands like Underoath and Emery will love Alexisonfire as they follow the same kind of screamo genre. // 10

Lyrics: The Song Titles and lyrics on this album dont really make much sense but then again seem very clever when you read them. There are some incredibly random lyrics such as "Boring cliched self destruction, I think I should start doing aerobics" the songs are littered with crazy lyrics and seem kind of like the diaries of a really troubled guy. Every song has some sort of memory. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a really great album which doesnt tie itself down to a specific genre e.g. metal or emo. There is a lot of screaming and heavy guitars but there is also softer elements of rock which makes this album appealing to alot of people. Personally the best songs on the album for me are "44 Caliber Love Letter," "Counter Parts And Number Them," "Waterwings," "Little Girls Pointing And Laughing" and "The Kennedy Curse." // 10

Alexisonfire Reviewed by: AOF_Rules_24, on march 18, 2006

Sound: I really like the way the 2 guitars are molded together to make an amazing sound. The screaming makes it sound somewhat chaotic while Dallas' singing makes it sound somewhat like a shamans' story. The album doesn't really have to do with a specific thing but each song has a story behind it. This is definatly a good album. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics. Once you listen to them over and over you find a new layer to the meaning of the lyrics, and you get dragged into listening even more. The lyrics definatly fit the music. They are like a woven basket together. Without one you dont get the true meaning and love for the others. The singers are definatly the power behind the band. George's screaming gives a chaotic sense of destruction of love while Dallas' singing cures the pain. // 10

Overall Impression: I would have to say I liked Watch Out better than Self Titled but this was still an excellent album. The most impressive songs have to be "Pulmonary Archery" and "The Kennedy Curse." I love everything about this album, and I mean everything. I would buy another copy everytime my cd was stolen and if there were none or I had no money I would listen to it on my mp3 player. Over all excellent job Alexisonfire. // 10

Alexisonfire Reviewed by: Grey_August, on july 31, 2006

Sound: I purchased this record about three years ago, knowing nothing about this band other than the fact that they played "rock" music. The pre-knife-fight schoolgirls on the cover swayed me towards spending my 15 bucks on this album. It was interesting. I thought the same thing when I popped it in my CD player the next day and listened to the opening of ".44 Caliber Love Letter". I could definitely say that this was my gateway into heavy music. Everything from the dual singing/screaming attack by George and Dallas, to the amazing harmonies between Dallas and Wade, to the driving drum beats from ex-drummer Jesse caught my ear from the beginning. Notable guitar parts are the beginning riffs to ".44 Caliber Love Letter", "Counterparts and Number Them", "A Dagger Through The Heart Of St. Angeles", "Where No One Knows" and the interludes in "Pulmonary Archery" and "Polaroids Of Polar Bears". Some notable songs with dual vocals are "Little Girls Pointing And Laughing" and "The Kennedy Curse". // 8

Lyrics: I'm sure that the lyrics on this album are mainly excerpts from George Pettit's life turned into a story. In that sense, the lyrics aren't very impressive to me, as I cannot relate to them, or figure them out without a moderate amount of thought. There is one track tha stood out lyric-wise though, the track "A Dagger Through The Heart Of St. Angeles". The lyrics tell a story about 'love' and 'freedom' getting into a fight, and love stabbing freedom. The song is actually what inspired the cover. Anyway, George sounds great on the album, and he sounds just as good live. His stamina is great, and he never seems to die out. Dallas has a great voice, while it way be a little whiny at times, it's definitely listenable. Wade sings a tiny bit, but not enoguh to judge his singing quality on though. I'd give the lyrics a 6, and the singing skills an 8. // 7

Overall Impression: The overall impression is two words: Amazing Debut. In comparison to all the other post-hardcore bands out there now, I'd have to say that they are one of the more innovative ones out there. In comparison to their other albums, it surpasses them both. The most impressive songs, in my opinion are, "Little Girls Pointing And Laughing", "The Kennedy Curse", "Polaroids Of Polar Bears" and "A Dagger Through." They're all very impressive though, I can't say I dislike any song on the album. The thing I love most about this album is the harmonies between singers and guitarists, and the thing I hate most are the lyrics, even though they aren't half-bad. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy this again. It's a staple in my collection. // 9

Alexisonfire Reviewed by: ricky butler, on august 01, 2006

Sound: I first heard this band, while seeing them live, so I recieved the whole package at once. There were around two kids who knew their songs, but they rocked everyone in the little hall that was attatched to this Comic Book Store, in Columbus, OH. To me, I heard some punk, with a lot of technical rock type guitars in the mix. Then the ace was revealed when Dallas, who had his mic positioned so that he was singing to the wall, started his business. I fell in love as soon as they went on, and they were freaking hilarious to watch, and listen to in between songs. At one time, all music stopped, and George said, "Alright, right now, were're all going to re-inact The Pelican Brief, this half of people will be the Pelican, and this half will be the Brief. Go!" and they kicked it back in. They said they had Toothbrushes for sale, but I had no cash, so I didn't even check out their merch. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics on this album are great. The only thing I noticed was I didn't seem to find a lot of the singing parts, in the lyrics. Most of the lyrics are what George is screaming, him breaking up the flow of the sentences, and syllables. Dallas's singing patterns, over top of those screams, are kind of hard to get a hold of on this album, although they're still great parts, and so full of emotion, are a little hard for me to hear if he's actually saying something that is written down, in the lyrics. I think they go great with the music, since there are so many things going on, that it's quite easy to lose track of what is going on. I don't know why everyone hates the spoken parts, either, they're quite hilarious on Polaroids of Polar Bears, not too bad on A Dagger Through The Heart Of St. Angeles, and think they fit pretty well on The Kennedy Curse, and Little Girls Pointing And Laughing, also. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is a great full length debut album, while Watch Out!, is better produced, and everyone/everything is tighter, I probably enjoy this albums' raw feeling a bit more. I don't know what's making people think this band has been ruined by commercial sucess, either, they've got a new song on a split w/Moneen, and it kills. I think the most impressive songs are towards the end, but I never skip a track on this CD anyways, so it's all good. I have had the unfortunate fate of having this and many other CDs stolen from me, so I already have bought it again, as well as anything else Alexisonfire. // 10

More Alexisonfire reviews rating latest review
+ Old Crows / Young Cardinals 8.9 04/13/2011