Along Came A Spider Review

alice cooper: Along Came A Spider
Released: Jul 29, 2008
Genre: Hard rock, heavy metal, Shock rock
Label: Steamhammer/SPV
Cooper first revealed the album's storyline on his radio show Nights with Alice Cooper and that the theme revolved around a "cool, calm and collected" serial killer named Spider.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
Along Came A Spider Reviewed by: SwampAshSpecial, on october 14, 2009

Sound: I view this as something of a cross between Alice's old stuff (ie. Billion Dollar Babies, Schools Out) and his heavier material (ie. Brutal Planet, Dragontown) and I really like the feel of this album. It's great to see Alice has retained most of his vocal ability (although don't expect his voice to be quite as good as it was 20/30 years ago). The guitar tones are wicked - a lot of people have heard 'Vengance is Mine' guest starring Slash, and that is probably one of the best songs on the album - its my favorite anyway. It fairly accurately shows how the album sounds, and while I wouldn't say all the songs are as good, overall the album is consistently good. // 8

Lyrics: As I mentioned above, Alice has retained most of his vocal ability, but isn't the singer you will recognize from his classic albums. Firstly, the lyrics are much darker and I found at points even mildly scary! The album has a sort of 'plot' in which Alice is an arachnophobic serial killer... you get the picture! // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, this album seems to have found a mid point between vintage Alice and his modern music. My favourite songs are without a doubt 'Vengeance is Mine', 'I'm Hungry' and 'Killed by Love'. I didn't like 'Wake the Dead' so much when I first heard it, and while it has grown on me a little it could definitely be described as a 'weak point' Even so, this album has convinced me - I'm going to see Alice live in his 'Theatre of Death' this december! // 9

Along Came A Spider Reviewed by: Ironpriest, on september 29, 2008

Sound: I'm going to start by saying, I had never heard an Alice Cooper Album before this (sad I know) and I basically listened to it after some songs I heard on his myspace. well I can easily say this is the best impulse buy I have ever made when it comes to music! The sound on this album is your typical hard rock record, it ain't heavy but it's rockin' and fun and the music never gets boring, besides the odd ballad, most songs are distorted and have some good if not great riffs in them. The drums and more so bass, stand out as excellent on the album. The whole thing sounds nice and clear and to my ears, seems mixed quite well. // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrics plain and simply are twisted. The whole lyrical theme seems to be straight out of a cheesy 1960's horror movie, and are definitley a huge standout on the album, putting it apart from other albums I have heard. Without going into detail, the whole album is a story/concept about a twisted murderer who hunts women like a spider. funny or scary depending on what type of person/age you are and anotehr part of the beauty of this album, different people will have different feelings towards th lyrical themes and lyrics. As usual Alice's singing is great and easily the highlight overall of the album, he really sounds like he is crazy, and not someone you would want to run into a dark alley in. // 10

Overall Impression: There isn't really anything I hate about the album. Like most albums it will get tiring after a while, but it's definitley an album you can come back to and rediscover again and again. The only thing I could think of is that it's a tad on the short side and that a few more theatrical touches could really add character to the songs and make the whole thing shine a bit more. These things are minimal though and shouldn't stop each and every one of you from running out and grabbing this record to rock out to! // 9

More Alice Cooper reviews rating latest review