Brutal Planet Review

alice cooper: Brutal Planet
Release Date: Jun 6, 2000
Label: Import
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
For the Alice Cooper fans who feel his output was spotty before and after the 1989 classic Trash on Epic, Brutal Planet is a cause to rejoice.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.3
 9.3
 9.2
Brutal Planet Reviewed by: teenrocker, on december 14, 2006

Sound: Alice Cooper, for those who didn't know, is the originator of the highly controversial 'Shock Rock' genre. Yes, that is the music that Marylin Manson is famous for playing. Although Alice Cooper and Marylin Manson are of the same style of music, there is a fair bit of difference between them. Alice Cooper has very clear, sung vocals and has some pretty good songs on 'Brutal Planet'. There is the same heavy guitar riffs and solid drumming underneath it all, however. // 8

Lyrics: Alice Cooper is the singer and although he doesn't have a hugely impressive singing voice, he is by no means lacking confidence and makes sure that he can be heard. Lyrics range from zombie hords to a love song, delivered in Cooper's own special way. Lyrics and vocals really carry this album and I'm glad to say that they are pretty outstanding, Cooper's simple vocals mixing perfect with the sometimes zany songs, the best of which being the title track, 'Brutal Planet' and the humorous 'Can't Sleep The Clowns Will Eat Me'. // 8

Overall Impression: This isn't one of Alice Cooper's best works, but gives a good picture of how he works and sounds. It isn't a bad album, but it isn't a really good album, either. The songs can get a bit repetitive and all of the spotlight is on Cooper, so other parts of the album, particularly the guitar work, just lack something. If it was taken I would spend my money on getting a different Cooper album, but rest assured that I would eventually get Brutal Planet once again. // 8

Brutal Planet Reviewed by: metal jello, on october 22, 2007

Sound: This disc is just pure heavy, dark, raw, powerful, and angry rock. I first heard these songs in the DVD Alice Cooper Brutally Live. The guitars plain out breathe fire, truly some of the greatest tracks for guitar in a long time. The lyrics are sinaster and some of the best lyrics Alice has ever written. Drums, the power! The drums are truly a work of art in this album. The bass pounds out the beat of some of the greatest Alice Cooper songs ever. I got about half of the songs off this album from iTunes, and the rest I saw on Brutally Live. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are amazing in this album. Singing is incredible, Alice did a great job! Here are some examples of some powerful song lyrics. Pick up the bones ("Pick up the bones, and set them on fire, follow the smoke, goin' higher and higher, pickup the bones, and wish them good night, pray 'em a prayer, and turn out the lights"), Gimme ("I know all your desires, your heart is so full of pain, is their something I can provide?, when you feel like life's past you bye, I'm on your side"), Wicked Young Man ("I like to run my body on heavy heavy fuel, I can punch through a wall I can kick like a mule, I got a pocketful of bullets and a blueprint of the school, I'm the devil's little soldier I'm the devil's little tool, I am a vicious young man, oh I am a wicked young man, It's not the games that I play the movies I see the music I dig, I'm just a wicked young man"), Brutal Planet ("Why don't you, come down to, It's such a brutal planet It's such an ugly world, Why won't you, come down to"), What A Sight ("This world is such perfection"), For My Eyes ("It's just like paradise"). That's a samle of some good parts of a few of my favorites on this great album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably one of my favorite albums ever! Best songs on the album (my opinion, in order of least to fav.): Wicked Young Man, Pick Up The Bones, Gimme, Brutal Planet, Blow Me A Kiss, Sanctuary. I love the overall power and evil of this great Alice album. If it were stolen or lost, the guy ho stole it would be hunted down and not live to steal another album ever again. // 10

Brutal Planet Reviewed by: IronDeathKiss, on february 01, 2012

Sound: I was completely blown away by this album. I loved Alice before I heard this and I love him even more after hearing it. Prior to my first listen, I had previously heard and enjoyed the song "Wicked Young Man", which is still one of my top 10 songs by the Coop. Alice explored a whole new playing field with this album, switching from his more traditional Hard rock sound to a very Metal album, but still very Alice. There are a lot of similarities to Industrial Metal, it kind of has a slight Manson feel to it, but this album is lightyears better than anything Manson ever put out. This is by far, my favorite Alice Cooper album. // 10

Lyrics: The Majority of the lyrics deal with religious tones. Alice using "Brutal Planet" as a metaphor for Hell and what not. Its dark, but still has that great Alice feel at points. Alice sounds amazing on this album. His vocals on "Brutal Planet" send chills up my spine. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before its very much Industrial in its sound, mixed with Traditional Metal and Classic Rock as well as some slight occurrences of Thrash (on "Its The Little Things") while still being very Alice. The songs that impress me the most: - "Brutal Planet": absolutely amazing. - "Wicked Young Man": A great riff and the lyrics are dark yet somewhat comical. - "Gimme": The lyrics are a masterpiece, mix that with the riff and you have a great song. - "Pick Up The Bones": This song is very slow, and cold almost... leading in to the powerful chorus. I love everything about this album. Its brilliant to the point of Perfection. // 10

More Alice Cooper reviews rating latest review