Killer Review

alice cooper: Killer
Release Date: Feb 1971
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Alice Cooper wasted little time following up the breakthrough success of Love It To Death with another album released the same year, Killer.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Killer Reviewed by: Big Tommy P, on october 17, 2006

Sound: The sound is similar to that of Love it to Death. The band were becoming more experimental (successfully this time) and there are more longer songs than previously. It further defined them as "Shock Rock", with songs like Dead Babies and Killer. It also saw the dawn of the on-stage guillotine for the title track, not to mention Alice stabbing mannequin babies with a sword. Also, the band were becoming more musically complex, most notably on Halo of Flies, in which Alice quoted they were seen only as being a theatrical band, not a musically talented one, thus the complex Halo. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics suit well with the music, the garage style of You Drive Me Nervous and Yeah, Yeah, Yeah (and of course Under My Wheels), the shocking Dead Babies and Killer fit in with the eerie music, and Desperado, a more sedate one for their deceased friend and supporter of the band, Jim Morrison. Alice was not quite the lyricist he is today, but was well on the way. // 9

Overall Impression: Along with Love it to Death, this is Alice Cooper's best album (the band that is). No band can claim to be as original as the ACG were. The most impressive songs are Halo of Flies, Desperado and Dead Babies. The band hired Rick Derringer to play guitar on Under My Wheels and Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, which gives a variety to the album, so it's not the same thing for the whole album like some bands do. If it were stolen I would do everything in my power to get another copy. A true rocker's album. // 10

More Alice Cooper reviews rating latest review