Pretties For You Review

6.8
 6.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Pretties For You Reviewed by: ozzypossum, on july 17, 2009

Sound: This was the Alice Cooper Group's first album released back in 1969 on Frank Zappa's old label, Straight Records. This album is the most different of any of the other Alice Cooper Groups or Alice Cooper solo albums out there. Most of the songs rage from 1 minute long to almost 6 minutes long. The sound of the album is everything from experimental to Poppy songs to "Killer era" Alice to some degree. The sound of the album can't be put under any specific genre, but one word can describe it - "Different." It is actualy a pretty Psychedelic album all together. The only problem with the sound of the album is that it's two diverse, in the sense one minute you'll think you're listening to something Frank Zappaish and then next something Beatlesish, and so on. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty damn weird, which definately compliments the sound. Reading and listening to the lyrics makes me not so surprised that Vincent (Alice) was a friend of Jim Morrison. There is only one instrumental song on the album, "Titanic Overture," which somewhat leads into the first track with Vincent (I mean Alice) singing called "10 Minutes Before the Worm." To be honest I can't tell you what that song is about, yet it is somewhat enjoyable. As a matter of fact I can't tell you what alot of the lyrics are about, something tells me a little drug called LSD wrote these songs. The song "Today Muellar" according to Vincent (again Alice) on the "Live at the Whisky A-Go-Go" album is about a girl in Phoenix (Arizona). The song kind of makes Today look like a junkie to my understanding. The song "Living" is pretty much about living a carefree life in the end really, and only knowing one person, being yourself. The song "No Longer Umpire" actually appears on many early Alice Cooper live albums as "Painting a Picture" for some reason. This song is actually my favorite song on the album, but too be honest I can't tell you what it is about. My interpretaion is basically about people who overeact about things, but really it's a weird song with nothing to do with umpires. "Levity Bell" seems to be a song about Vincent writing the lyrics of this album. Try wrapping your head around that. "Reflected" sounds like what Alice Cooper would later become, the song being about a girl it seems. After that, the lyrics make about as much sense as the song "Swing Low, Sweet Cheerio." // 7

Overall Impression: I'd give this album a 7. It's not a bad album if you want to do nothing but trip on acid all day. Really I enjoyed a portion of the album. I'd recomend listening to the tracks "No Longer Umpire," "Reflected," "Living," and "Today Muellar." I like ALice Cooper's later stuff alot better like "Love it to Death" and "Killer." If you want the best of Alice Cooper, listen to all the albums from 1971-1973 (1974 if you count "Welcome to My Nightmaree" even though it is Alice Cooper solo). // 7

More Alice Cooper reviews rating latest review