School's Out And Other Hits Review

9.3
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
School's Out And Other Hits Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on july 14, 2014

Sound: "School's Out and Other Hits" is a 2004 best-of compilation of legendary shock rocker, Alice Cooper's most popular songs from his early-mid-1970s period. Songs featured on this album, include: "School's Out," "Under My Wheels," "I'm Eighteen," "Elected," "Welcome to My Nightmare," "Only Women Bleed," "Be My Lover," "No More Mr. Nice Guy," "I Never Cry" and "Clones We're All." Now, being as how it's rather obvious this CD only focuses on Alice's classic period, I can overlook the exclusion of later big hits, such as "Poison," sadly I have to wonder why the title track from "Billion Dollar Babies" is not on here. It should be, but this is still a really solid compilation to introduce those casual fans to The Coop. // 9

Lyrics: Alice Cooper has a great voice, he can do a lot of different tones on the songs featured here. The music, for the most part has a nice heavy groove to it, with the exception of the ballads and "Clones," which sounds like a Talking Heads demo. The lyrics are decent to excellent, with the low point again being "Clones" which is just not that good of a song and this is coming from a dude who's into both Alice Cooper and Talking Heads. I wish they would have swapped that song for "Billion Dollar Babies" or maybe even "Cold Ethel." Other than that, I have no real lyrical or musical problems with this album. My favorite track overall is "Be My Lover." // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of those rare compilation albums that you can listen to anytime you feel like simply listening to something that's just rock with no extra added frills and buttons and the like. It's solid, even though it is one of the many budget greatest hits albums to be released by Rhino Flashback Records, the guys who are in charge of reissuing classic glam and glam metal albums from the likes of Ratt, T. Rex, Dokken and more. I say this because in my opinion, the new compilation albums Rhino has been putting out are lacking in some aspects strongly enough to be not as good as they could have been. This time around they got it almost perfect, just needed "Billion Dollar Babies." // 10

More Alice Cooper reviews rating latest review