Welcome 2 My Nightmare Review

artist: alice cooper date: 01/10/2012 category: compact discs
alice cooper: Welcome 2 My Nightmare
Released: Sep 13, 2011
Genre: Rock, hard rock, heavy metal
Label: Bigger Picture
Welcome 2 My Nightmare is the sequel to Alice Coopers first release as a solo artist titled Welcome To My Nightmare which was a concept album based around a child characters nightmares. Now that child has grown up, but his nightmares have returned.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 8.1
 7.8
 8.4
Welcome 2 My Nightmare Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 16, 2011

Sound: Welcome 2 My Nightmare is the sequel to Alice Cooper's first release as a solo artist titled Welcome To My Nightmare' which was a concept album based around a child character's nightmares. Alice Cooper began writing songs for this album in 2010 after recruiting former members of the Alice Cooper (Band). Some of the songs were also written or co-written by guest songwriters. This list includes Keith Nelson (from Buckcherry), Dick Wagner, Chuck Garric and Ke$ha. Ke$ha also guest stars on the song What Baby Wants'. There are 14 tracks (15 with the bonus track) on Welcome 2 My Nightmare' and the album clocks in at over 50 minutes, which is a very respectable length. The album ends with the Bonus track, We Gotta Get Outta This Place' (an Animal's cover). There are several different versions of the album being released, with different bonus tracks with each. The one I'm reviewing is a standard version of the album. In addition there is a Fan Pack, Deluxe Edition, Vinyl Edition, Deluxe Digipak CD Edition and an iTunes Edition. The bonus tracks on the other versions range from live recordings at the most recent Download Festival. The other new songs released as bonus tracks are listed below. The Fan Pack has the song Under The Bed' as a bonus track, as well as a live version of Poison' from the Download Festival. The Vinyl Edition includes a song called Flatline' as a bonus track. The iTunes Edition includes a song called A Bad Situation' as the bonus song. I haven't got my hands on these various bonus songs yet, but I hope to in the near future. Welcome 2 My Nightmare' is very reminiscent of Tommy' by The Who, with a slightly harder edge to it. There are some great melodic guitar lines throughout. A lot of the instrumentation has an almost epic character to it that is really appealing to me. This album isn't a rocking type of album so much as a story told in music. It definitely has a classic rock feel to it and it does indeed listen like a rock opera or concept album, but there is a lot of different genres represented throughout the album. I think the album is more an experience than a collection of songs, and is best listened to from beginning to end. Ideally, this would be a part of your vinyl collection if you collect vinyl. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics loosely tell the story about the character from the album Welcome To My Nightmare' carried into a new chapter with Welcome 2 My Nightmare'. The character Steven from the first album is now an adult and once again dealing with a myriad collection of night terrors. Steven tries to avoid sleep, but eventually succumbs and experiences a wide range of nightmares including blood and gore, erotic nightmares, suspense, and a zombie apocalypse in the songs Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever and Ghouls Gone Wild. Alice Cooper's voice is still strong after all these years, though there is a little less growl in it than in most of his previous work. Instead of going over the precise lyrics, I'd rather describe a loose interpretation of the lyrics in the album. The story begins with Steven trying to avoid going to sleep by taking caffeine and amphetamines (the song Caffeine'). He finally falls asleep after a long battle to stay awake in the song The Nightmare Returns'. His first dream finds Steven on a train called Nightmare Express as the train carries him deeper into his nightmare world (the song A Runaway Train'). The train crashes and Steven finds himself alone with no one else around in the song Last Man on Earth'. At first Steven is trying to see the benefit of being the last person alive and not having anyone to stop him from doing whatever he wants. Slowly loneliness starts to bleed into his dream. A guide appears in the song The Congregation' to show Steven around and to show him the others in his nightmare and introduces him to some of them. There is a lot of subtext that instead of this being a nightmare that Steven is actually dead and he is in hell. Steven finds himself in an erotic nightmare next with a beautiful woman pushing him down onto a bed and whispering to him I'll bite your face off (and of course, this is the song I'll Bite Your Face Off'. Next, Steven finds himself in a horrible bloodbath of a dream starting out with a mass execution with corpses beginning to come back to life in the song Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever'. The zombies begin roaming everywhere screaming and running around in Ghouls Gone Wild'. To be honest, I lose the storyline a little at this point. I don't want to ruin the end, anyway, so instead of picking the storyline back up I will let you listen for yourselves. // 8

Overall Impression: Just to be completely honest, I'm a sucker for concept albums and rock operas. I loved Tommy', Quadrophenia', Purple Rain' and others in just about any genre. I am really enjoying Welcome 2 My Nightmare', though I think I do enjoy its predecessor Welcome To My Nightmare' a little more. I think it takes a lot of courage to release a concept album with the music market being what it is now, and I definitely respect the courage to do that. My favorite song is very easily I am Made of You', which to be honest I've had a hard time understanding how it fits into the theme with the rest of the songs. The Congregation' is probably my second favorite song with a very strong classic rock/early metal feel to it. I also like Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever' just because it is so quirky. When Hell Comes Home' is also a very powerful song. Overall, I really enjoyed the album as a whole, but I think it is a situation where the parts have much less value independently than as a whole. Some people are more song oriented vs. Album oriented and they may not like Welcome 2 The Nightmare' as much as me. Personally, I really enjoy it and hopefully will be buying it on vinyl in the near future. // 8

- Brandon East (c) 2011

Welcome 2 My Nightmare Reviewed by: CinderellaFan14, on january 10, 2012

Sound: "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" is a step in many different directions for Alice Cooper, but all ways lead to success! Alice really branched out on this one, recording many different genres of songs to probably receive more hits. From an auto-tuned song known as "I Am Made Of Yo", to a disco track appropriately named "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever", to beach rock "Ghouls Gone Wild", and even a slow country song called "Something To Remember Me By", Alice's new nightmare has definitely changed over the years. Personally, I enjoy all these songs because I can find something great in all genres of music. I think die hard Hard Rock Cooper fans won't have a very hard time enjoying this new album, because Alice puts his own twist on all these genres of music. For those true hard rock fans, "I'll Bite Your Face Off" is definitely the one to hear. I saw him place this song live in concert before I bought the album, and was actually the reason why I did. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of these new Alice Cooper songs range greatly, as they do with the genres of music. I found myself laughing while I heard a line in "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever", "Get down on your knees, and keep your trap shut!", with the echoes of zombie-like creatures in the background of a disco song. The entire song really is a masterpiece in itself, and you'll find it's the same case in all of the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" is a masterpiece spawned from the hellfires in Alice Cooper's mind. This album has at least a song or two for every type of music lover, but the most impressive songs on this album has to be "I'll Bite Your Face Off" and "The Underture"; an instrumental which contains parts of songs from the first and second nightmares. I love the diversity of the album, with all the various genres of music making this album a very different but amazing ride. However, I would have loved an entire hard rock album from Alice Cooper, as hard rock is the music I think Alice does best. This album is under great protection, but if it were stolen and the thief lived to run away with the album, I would absolutely but it again! "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" is the yet another masterpiece by the great Alice Cooper that I think all will enjoy! // 10

Welcome 2 My Nightmare Reviewed by: jamesdobrincic, on september 16, 2011

Sound: Alice Cooper's "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" will be Alice's latest release, set for release around the 13th of September, Alice fans are in for a treat! I have been an Alice Cooper fan for a while now and to my surprise I find that this album delivers. The Sound is Alice's sound, for most of the album that is. The song "Caffeine" is something I would expect from Alice, both in sound, and lyrically. While there are those kind of classic guitar driven songs that feature on the album. The opening song "I am Made Of You" is a slow piano driven song that features guitar mixed in throughout the song. The song also features Auto-tuning of Alice's voice. While I am not keen on the whole Auto-tuning thing, it does add that depth to his voice, as the Auto-tuned parts are slow and dark. One "must listen to" song of the album in my opinion, is "The Congregation". It seems to be very riff based, but that's what I tend to like. "A Runaway Train" Begins as a rock and roll sound but seems to almost take a turn towards a country style song. "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever" is also worth mentioning, is that Alice attempts a disco song, although about half way through it transitions into a faster paced electric guitar driven song. There are hits and misses on this album, but the more I listen to the album, the more I find myself singing the songs I thought I didn't originally like. In regards of sound, it is definitively Alice, and Alice has always tried to push the boundaries, as he does in this new album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very Alice. The lyrics and themes that appear in the songs on this new album seem to stick with the whole Alice Cooper style of lyrics. The first single from the album "I'll Bite Your Face Off". This is a classic example of the Alice Cooper style we all have come to love. Alice is lyrically sticking to what he knows best, and this new album is really something. // 8

Overall Impression: Having been only one of a few who have got a hold of this album pre-release, I don't want to give too much about it away, but in my opinion as an Alice fan, it would definitely be something to look forward to. Notable Songs-In the order they appear on the album 1. I am Made Of You - Was not to keen on this song as the opening song but it has grown on me the more I listen to it 2.Caffeine - One of my favorite songs from the album, definitely worth a listen. 3.The Congregation - My absolute favorite song on this album. It has a great hook, and it extremely catchy. 4. I'll Bite Your Face Off - Being the album's single it has got alot of publicity and is definitely a decent song. 5. What Baby Wants - This song has received publicity as Alice features on this track along side Ke$ha. It is a decent song, but I'm not into this kind of music, as it sounds more like a Ke$ha song. Overall, In my opinion, this is a solid album. Like many artists, the album does feature some misses, but the songs that hit the spot hit it well. As many people say, its about quality not quantity. This album features many quality songs, and the quality songs on this album tick all the right boxes. // 9

Welcome 2 My Nightmare Reviewed by: IAmTwisted, on september 16, 2011

Sound: Alice Cooper returns with a sequel to his 1975 concept album, Welcome to my Nightmare.' The premise of this album is not a good one, considering that most sequel albums fall flat commercially. Unfortunately, this album must be considered to be on of those sequel albums. All of the songs sound far too similar, with absolutely no stand out tracks in the album. There are a few good songs, such as Caffeine and I'll Bite Your Face Off, but realistically these only sound good given the quality of the other songs on the album. The guitar on the album is actually quite impressive, with some very classic rock styled solos that do fit in seamlessly with the rest of the song. The riffs tend to be quite catchy, but as the album progresses it becomes repetitive and quite boring in some senses. The sound of the album is mainly classic rock, but there is massive variety of the type of songs on the album, ranging from the classic rock to pop punk. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are not particularly interesting, falling into a mediocre stupor. However on a few songs there are better lyrics, such as during the opening track of the album, I am Made Of You. This is the only song that really has any half decent lyrics present on the album. Cooper's singing is mainly good, but at times the vocals go very hoarse, groggy, and almost cringe worthy. // 5

Overall Impression: There are actually good points to this album that do make it worth listening too, but don't expect this album to be spectacular. The wide variety of genres presents on the album does lead to quite interesting songs, and does manage to keep your interest piqued for a little while longer. Ultimately however, this album doesn't have the strength or stamina to make much of an impact on you. // 6

More Alice Cooper reviews rating latest review