Alice In Chains Review

alice in chains: Alice In Chains
Released: Nov 21, 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge
Alice In Chains is a sonically detailed effort that ranks as their best-produced record, and its best moments are easily some of their most mature music.
 Lyrics: 7.6
 8.5
 8.6
 8.3
Alice In Chains Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on august 07, 2006

Sound: Probably my least favorite of all Alice's albums, but it is still a pretty good album nonetheless. Layne I think was really on drugs during the recording of this album because it doesn't hardly even sound like him singing, he sounds more like a cartoon character, but other than that I thought the songs were really catchy and as always, Jerry Cantrell amazed me with his guitar and vocals. // 8

Lyrics: Like I said, Layne wasn't doing so hot in the vocal department, but in a weird way those vocals went really well with Jerry's riffs. Layne is a phenomenal vocalist but I just think some of his previous work was a whole lot better as far a vocals go. Songwriting was very unique. A lot of short verses had a mellow tone and just blast into a loud chorus. I liked the songwriting. // 8

Overall Impression: Not Alice's best work but still an ok album. Songs like "Grind", "Again", and "Over Now" were all my personal favorites. If this album was stolen I would probably re-buy it because I'm a huge AIC fan and I loved what those guys did in their 15 year career. So go buy the album and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. // 9

Alice In Chains Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2005

Sound: Alice In Chains are one of the best bands of the early nineties, and it's a real shame they aren't more well known nowadays. Every memeber of the band is uniquely talented - Kinney is a great drummer, and Inez has some pretty good basslines here. Layne is a brilliant vocalist, with one of the best, most emotive voices in history. And Jerry Cantrell, the guitars, lyrics, everything. What an artist. He's got some good riffs, and, while the solos aren't as good as some of the earlier stuff, they are still pretty damn good. // 10

Lyrics: Well, this is AIC so expect some dark, dark stuff. Although Layne didn't write many of the songs, they still reflect the hell of his addiction. Songs to note - well, all of them! The last song, Over Now, was the last studio song they did before Layne's death. Was this just a dark joke on his behalf? Could be. Real shame he's gone though. RIP Layne. // 10

Overall Impression: Alice In Chains by Alice In Chains. This album got pretty crap reviews at it's time of release, which is a shame because it really is a work of art. Possibly not quite as good as Dirt or Jar Of Flies, but still awesome. The only downsides are the songs Frogs & Nothing Song - but even these grow on you. If you don't already have this album, why not? It's brilliant and shouldn't be left on the shelves in HMV. Buy it now. // 10

Alice In Chains Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 10, 2005

Sound: This album sounds drastically different than all of their previous work, but of course this should be expected from a band that practically re-invented itself in everything it released. Layne Staley had one of the most phenomenal singing voices in rock history, and most were surprised at the treatment his vocals were given on this album. At times, his natural howls are masked slightly in the whiny, layering treatment they are given. At first, most wondered why would they fix something what wasn't broken on Jar Of Flies? Layne's amazing vocals on those tracks were what practically made that album the masterpiece it was. We also don't get as much of the trademark AiC open 5th voice layering, (used most heavily on Jar Of Flies). Aside from this, Jerry's guitar has a brand new sound, this time around it's much more sludgy, and at certain points has a bit of a crumbly effect. All of these changes ultimately can lead to a frustrating first listen, but more on that later. Before I forget, hats off to Sean Kinney. His drumming reached its creative peak in Jar of Flies, and kudos on translating that back into heavier music. // 8

Lyrics: AiC lyrics have always been considered dark and depressing, as most drug addiction songs typically are. But on this album, they once again take a strange turn. We don't get much drug depression, or signs of hope as in Jar Of Flies. This time, the lyrics are more bitter, strange, and suprisingly random. This is the only AiC album where at times I really don't know what the hell they're talking about. None the less, even in not knowing exactly what they are trying to say, the diction is so moody that it really adds more to the music that way. // 7

Overall Impression: If you've gotten this far reading, you might ask why is this guy trashing AiC? What the hell is his problem? Well the answer is that I'm not at all trashing them. This album is one of the most mis-understood and mis-interpreted ever. Critics didn't like it, and while most fans probably liked "Grind," "Again" and maybe "Heaven Beside You," the rest of the album left a bitter taste in their mouths. This description is suprisingly similiar to Nirvana's swan song, In Utero. While at first it was bizarre and alienated all but their most dedicated fans, it is now appreciated as a classic. And a classic "Alice In Chains" is. The new sound is really a turn back to their heavy roots, but have you really listened to Dirt or Facelift lately? They sound dated, especially the latter. This album sounds completely fresh ten years after the fact. As many great albums are, it is a much acquired taste. If you truly understand this album tracks such as "Sludge Factory," "Head Creeps," and "Frogs" that are bashed by casual AiC fans truly stand out as some of their best work. They are intensely strange, and almost transe inducing, but a pretty orgasmic transe they are. This album is really creative genius, and I can only hope that millions of AiC fans who kind of initially ignored most of this album (as I admittedly did) can rediscover it for the masterpiece it truly is. // 10

Alice In Chains Reviewed by: larry jones, on september 26, 2006

Sound: The sound quality on this album is remarkable, as songs like "Grind" and "Heaven Beside You" sound great in comparison to past collections. The band continues to make songs that are both slow and grinding, as well as melodic and heartfelt. On "Grind", Jerry Cantrell once again shows aspiring guitar players how to play the axe. Every song is listenable, despite the few flaws that may exist here. // 9

Lyrics: Layne Staley's lyrics have progressively become less and less pathetic and more and more about endurance and overcoming their painful tragedies. However, Staley just sounds pathetic himself with some lyrical matter that is totally confrontational. At times, it sounds like he's in complete defense of their place at the top of the music industry, as if they were falling from grace (which Staley's death tragically lead to). While definately not Layne's best work, he manages to provide some catchy lyrics to songs like "Heaven Beside You" and "Grind". // 7

Overall Impression: "Alice In Chains" would sadly be their last album recorded together as a band. While it has it's minor flaws, the self-titled release is impressive, none the less. Hardcore fans and newcomers alike can enjoy ballads like "Heaven Beside You" and "Over Now", while still rocking to some the band's best heavier material on songs like "Grind" and "Brush Away". // 8

Alice In Chains Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2008

Sound: Musically this is Alice in Chains at their strongest, I personally think it's even stronger than Dirt, musically. Every song, even some of the worse song ones have great riffs, if nothing else. This shows how truly talented Cantrell, Inez and Kinney are. Stronger songs: Grind, Again, Sludge Factory. // 10

Lyrics: This album, lyrically I think, is Alice's worst. The lyrics often resort to ooh and such, which isn't bad, but it's not lyrics. Some songs sacrifice meaning to get a rhyming word, which is not something you expect from excellent wordsmiths like Staley and Cantrell. This album sees Cantrell taking a lot more responsibility in the vocal department, with a lot of the songs being duets, of sorts between him and Staley. This creates a strong sound, harrowing at times. It also seems to experiment with a larger range of vocals from both singers, with a lot more high pitch singing, which works bloody well. // 6

Overall Impression: Not as strong as Dirt, but right up there. Alice in Chains is one of those few bands who left their legacy with few filler/rubbish songs to their name. Best songs would be Grind, Sludge Factory and God Am, but once again I must say that all of the songs are of an extraordinarily high quality. // 9

More Alice In Chains reviews rating latest review