Music Bank Review

alice in chains: Music Bank
Released: Oct 26, 1999
Label: Columbia
Genres: Alternative Metal, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge
Three studio albums, two EPs, one live album, and a few European B-sides seemingly is a scant body of work to provide the basis for a box set.
 9.8
 9.9
 9.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Music Bank Reviewed by: kurtshapedbox, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Well I got this for christmas last year and I still love it. It's nothing short of great music. Most of the rarities and/or demos are on the first CD though. The fourth CD is an enhanced disc whic is dumb, it should have been a DVD. Unfortunately I cant play the enhanced disc in my computer so I am very disappointed with it. The demos are great (especially the stuff from their darker writing period), and the early reecordings/demos/live stuff really gives you the insight into what alice was like before we all grew to love em. Also for those of you who want to pop in a CD and hear the songs that you already love this set has many of em on it, so its all still very listenable. It's great for you Alice In Chains/grunge junkies. // 9

Lyrics: Alice are on of my favorite lyrical bands. I can really connect with everything they write. Layne and Jerry singing in harmony really sends shivers down my spine. Layne has one of the top voices to come out of the grundge scene and I can't get enough of him (RIP). // 10

Overall Impression: I love this box set. I still listen to it non-stop a year later. I'm usulally not into compilations as much as I'm into this one. The rooster demo and all of their really early stuff is interesting to listen to. If this were lost or stolen I would buy six more to make sure I always had a copy. // 10

Music Bank Reviewed by: Koaphagia, on october 17, 2008

Sound: The sound on this album is amazing. Even the older demos that are in this set are of very good quality. You get to hear the beginning of alice and how much they changed and formed over the years. The only thing that I disliked about it was the enhanced cd. I don't think there was really any point for that. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing as with any Alice lyrics. They all have their own story to them. The lyrics are mostly about the things that they had gone through which is great. The singer's skills? Are you serious mad props to Layne Staley, he is definitley one of the greatest vocalists of all time. His voice is very unique and you get to hear how he used his voice in the beginning and how he learned how to use it differently over the years. His voice became slightly high near the end of Alice because of all the smack he was using but it adds to the uniqueness of his voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This box set can't compare to any other Alice album. Especially since it has most of the songs from most of their albums, as well as many demos and rare live songs. Also the whole dirt album is in this set. The most impressive songs from the album is all of them because with alice you can't just choose just one. I don't hate anything about this. And I love the way it goes in order of the years and you can see the difference and how they progressed as a band over time. If it were stolen I would buy it again, it is well worth your money. // 10

More Alice In Chains reviews rating latest review