Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box Review

alice in chains: Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box
Released: Jun 29, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge
"Nothing Safe: Best of the Box" anticipated 1999's three-disc Alice in Chains box set, which covered the group's best songs and assorted rarities.
 9.7
 9.7
 9.6
Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on august 17, 2006

Sound: While this CD was to be the first in the sadly because it loomed that the end of Alice In Chains the band was nigh, and started the affronting malpractice of Sony to re-release and re-release the same Alice In Chains songs with subtly different varieties over the period of 1999 to 2001 (recall the "Greatest Hits", "Music Bank" and "Live" CDs, degradingly drawn-out process of the record company taking advantage of fans' missing of Alice In Chains during their inactivity by exploiting their catalog on different "compilation" CDs, Nothing Safe is inarguably the best of the illicit, invented-sequence Alice In Chains CDs, if only just barely. The merit of the CD, no matter if the rest of the songs are already owned by most dedicated Alice In Chains aficionados, is the grating, one, new song finally distributed after three to four years of Alice In Chains' rueful hiatus, Get Born Again, a monster of an impression-making reemergence! On the flip side, somewhat sorrowfully, Nothing Safe isn't defensible of a purchase because everyone who's interested enough in Alice In Chains to buy the CD based on Get Born Again will already possess most, if not all, older songs. However, to the most fanatically loyal Alice In Chains connoisseurs, the only kind of Alice In Chains fan around. Nothing Safe merits worth by Get Born Again alone, their newest song since 1996's Unplugged, "Killer Is Me". Beginning morosely and dreadfully with Cantrell's crypt-like, tomb-beckoning, whistling hooks, like doom looms on the horizon, Get Born Again appears to be a song best suited for someone's funeral, yet it's so much more! Get Born Again immediately segues into a metal-ly, hard-shredding number from it's first lines of the first verse. Grating and rumbling with Inez's bass, Cantrell's piercing splintering, and Kinney's hard-hitting drums, the song begins with Staley's trademark frightfulness of reciting eerie poetry for verses in a sing-song fashion, where it then launches into an explosion of riffing before rather unexpectedly and smoothly settling down into the chorus, where Staley's patently ghostly warble under a high pitch takes over, rhyming in arcane intonations (oooh, denied all and tied all the lies). Get Born Again has Staley's voice returning to it's Dirt-like quality of range, pitch and strength, although it's despairingly looming theme fits just as perfectly on Tripod's sludge! Staley's voice is versatile here; in the quieter/restrained parts, his voice affects a correspondingly ominous feel of portending eeriness, sounding at times frail and non-vital, yet in the louder parts of full-throttle shredding, affects the same rigorous screams like on Dirt. The result is a vocal performance that sounds unholy and menaces of some future apocalypse to come. Cantrell, too, is up to par, delivering one of Alice In Chains' most memorable solos, a breathtaking yet harmoniously crypt-like solo that agonizes the listener with some kind of sorrowful overtone exorcized only by the sonic intoxication from the pure dominance of Cantrell's skills. For their second last, new song, Alice In Chains at least delivers a five-and-a-half-minute masterpiece of precious rarity. Get Born Again is quite feasibly read into being about Staley's drug-junkie girlfriend who overdosed in 1996, and from that macabre basis produces a hauntingly unearthly song recalling imagery about betrayal, loss, insecurity, yearning, charades, gloom, pessimism and finally redemption, in short, the usual, thoughtful introspection of Alice In Chains material! // 9

Lyrics: Alice In Chains was one of the most influential bands ever walked the face of the earth that many bands wanted to copy, but unfortunately all of them failed. Nobody can imitate the power, pain, and passion of Layne Staley's heartfelt vocal delivery. Hell, this guy can move mountains. One of my favourite vocalists of all time. An excellent singer he is. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm compelled to subtract value from Nothing Safe because of the aforementioned, stagnant rehashing of Alice In Chains' songs, but if you're a newbie, Nothing Safe remains the best, introductory material. All the other hits, minus several more they could've easily incorporated, are familiar to longtime aficionados, like the fast-paced We Die Young, the quintessential Man in the Box, the spastic Them Bones, the regretful Down In A Hole, the powerhouse live Rooster, the searching Got Me Wrong, the atoning No Excuses, the purging I Stay Away, the aggressive What The Hell Have I, the chugging Grind, the thunderous Again, and the retrospective Would? // 8

Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: ilikpie, on september 13, 2004

Sound: Well, this one was good, it is full of some of AIC's best songs and some live performances (flawless performance on Rooster) but I like the original studio takes, I now have to buy Dirt And Jar Of Flies to get the original Rooster (not to say the live performances aren't good) and other good songs I heard on Unplugged. This album is a perfect mixture of early and later hits from the band, as always dark and heavy in their alt. Metal style. There are light and dark sounds bouncing around in the album, and they all seem to blend together perfectly. // 10

Lyrics: Jerry & Layne write some of the strongest lyrics I've ever heard. Dark and disturbing, they seem to blend perfectly with the music. You can feel the emotions that they portray, as if they can capture your soul and bring you along for the ride. Not to mention Layne is probably the most underated singers of all time. He's amazing, putting his heart and soul in everything he sings, like you can feel it. Not many singers can do that. It's a damn shame not many people know who Layne is or they only know him as a drug addict. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the greatest hits album you'll ever come across, so don't hesitate to buy it now! The only thing I don't like are the demos and live versions, I guess I just like originals the most. My favorite songs are Rooster, Man in the Box, I Stay Away, Would?, Them Bones, and We Die Young. If this were stolen I'd buy it again or get Dirt And Jar Of Flies cos' they're classics. // 8

Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2005

Sound: This is the best Alice In Chains compilation that I own and it's not a commercial compilation with the mainstream singles of the band, which is great! Layne Staley was really much better than Kurt Cobain and he really knew how to make complex lyrics with a lot of metaphors. Alice In Chains had always been one of the most underrated bands of all times because they were alway changed by crap like Britney Spears or even Nirvana (I was very happy when I knew that the band was over, not because Kurt died, of course). There are just a few bands that had the impact in me like AIC had: POD, Incubus, Marilyn Manson, Saliva, Placebo, Nas (the best rapper in the world), and some more. When Layne Staley (the frontman of AIC) died because of drugs, MTV should have, at least, made a tribute to him, but, as usual, they did nothing and thought: Oh, another dead sucker. MTV sucks hard! They should have promoted this band when they needed, not subestimate them! They were real masters of music and one of the best bands of all time! AIC rocked 10 years ago, and they will always rock! // 10

Lyrics: Mr. Staley's lyrics were brillianty because he had no problems saying what he wanted to. He was a tallented guy and he made some of the best lyrics ever made by everyone. In songs like "Would?" Layne really shows his skills and competences, which not comun! The songs in the album are: 01. Get Born Again 02. We Die Young (Demo) 03. Man In The Box 04. Them Bones 05. Iron Gland 06. Angry Chair 07. Down In A Hole 08. Rooster 09. Got Me Wrong 10. No Excuses 11. I Stay Away 12. What The Hell Have I 13. Gring 14. Again 15. Would? In my poin of view, this is not a collection of mainstream singles from AIC, but a compilation with the band's favourite songs, and that's what makes this album a masterpiece and a work of art. // 10

Overall Impression: Loving or hating, you have to admit thet those guys changed forever the history of Music. My favourite songs are: "Get Born Again," "Man In The Box," "Would?" and "Them Bones." They all are classics because they are immortal songs with unforgettable melodies and lyrics. If someone stole it from me, I would kick the guy's face until it was completely destroyed, but if I didn't find him, I would buy the album again, for sure! Go ahead and buy it too. They are immortal and you won't feel disappointed! // 10

Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: Emenius Sleepus, on january 19, 2005

Sound: Well, what can I say? Alice In Chains on the contrary to the money-scamming Best Of CD, this is actually a great compilation, that is a must-own for AIC fans, people who want to get into them, and also for someone who is just looking for a kickass CD that they can weld into their CD player and glue down play and repeat buttons. This disc is pretty much what the title states - Best OF The Box, with standout songs like We Die Young, Down In A Hole, and the ever-creepy Would? with its rumbling bassline. Despite this being a collection of songs rather than a proper album like, say, Dirt, every song flows into another with finesse sometimes not seen on other bands' proper releases. The dark Alice In Chains, melancholic Alice In Chains, Happy and Angry Alice In Chains - the CD is all those moods, while at the same time being full of melody, aggressive-yet-inventive riffs and vocal harmonies that were Alice's trademark and legacy. // 10

Lyrics: Since this is a Best Of, there is not much to say about the lyrics that other people wouldn't have said. The lyrics indeed go with the music very well, Layne and Alice In Chains were very underrated, but the talent you hear on this collection is undeniable. The images Staley paints with his voice and lyrics send chills down your spine. // 10

Overall Impression: I'll just say this whenever I'm feeling uninspired, I put an Alice In Chains CD in my CD player. They are a truly amazing and inspirational band that no-one could touch, and this CD is certainly the proof of that. Standout songs are We Die Young, Down In A Hole, Man In The Box, No Excuses, Them Bones, and, of course, the eerie Would?. There is nothing to hate about this CD, and if something happened to it, I would definitely replace it. If these songs are Alice's legacy, then they can certainly be proud of what they accomplished. // 10

Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: [NIN]_ROCK!, on july 07, 2005

Sound: Alice In Chains is one of the best bands ever! Some say they are a metal band, some say they are Grunge, but the fact is that they're great! In this album you can see their Metal roots in songs like "Them Bones" or "We Die Young." It also includes some of their hit singles "Would?", "Down In A Hole" or "No Excuses." There's also a new song called "Get Born Again," which is depressing, slow, heavy and awesome, and two live songs "Rooster" and "Got Me Wrong" (unplugged). This is just another document to proove how unique this band was. // 10

Lyrics: When I bought the album, the only song I knew was "Would?", and I loved it since the first time I heard it on the radio. After listening to a half-part of the album, I recognized "Down In A Hole" and "Got Me Wrong" (I knew them before, but I didn't know they were from AIC). I also loved the other songs and listened to the CD over and over again! This is that kind of music you never get tired of, unless you really hate depressing songs. The lyrics are one of the strongest points of this debut. Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell are both great songwriters and they really use their skills in the best way. All of the songs speak mostly abut drugs and death, but the harmony in the vocals/guitars make them "lighter" and more melodic. Another interesting thing is that you can notice the evolution of the band through the years. In the last songs, the lyrics are more depresive and sad, since Layne was dying. The sum of this points make Alice In Chains such an excellent band! // 10

Overall Impression: You can't compare this album to the other ones because this is a compilation. The most impressive aspect in this album is that the band didn't choose the hit singles for it! Instead, their choice was pointed to the most meaningful songs, which is awesome! If the album were stolen, I would certainly kill the thief! Buy it and you will love it! // 10

Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 13, 2005

Sound: Alice In Chains has always been one of my favorite bands of all time, and this CD is definately them at their best. All that you've come to expect from Alice In Chains. Heavy guitar riffs, technical bass playing, fast drumming, and Layne Staley's amazing voice. I'm gunna review each individual song: 01. Get Born Again - an awsome song to start off the album. Previously unreleased, this song is amazing in so many ways. Jerry's guitar playing gets alittle creepy in this song, but that's what Alice In Chains is about. Awsome vocals on this song to, Layne never disapoints. 02. We Die Young (demo version)- definatley heavier than the cd version on Facelift. Classic Alice In Chains sound. The solo's not very long on this song, but the heavy riffs make up for it. Lyrics kick ass on this song. "Scary's On The Wall, Scary's On His Way," awesome. 03. Man In The Box - one of Alice In Chains' greatest songs. Almost everyone knows this song, and with good reason. This song definatley helped them reach the top. Jerry Cantrell shines on this song with an amazing solo, but that's what you've come to expect from him. He's only one of the best guitarists ever. 04. Them Bones - another classic song from Alice In Chains. Very fast, and very technical with some very catchy vocals. 05. Iron Gland - an unlisted track from "Dirt," this song is a little spoff off Iron Man from Black Sabbath. Kinda funny, but not that good. 06. Angry Chair - another classic off their masterpiece "Dirt." Creepy guitar and bass playing with some very interesting lyrics. 07. Down In A Hole - one of my favorites off the album. It shows a softer side of Alice In Chains. Most songs off "Dirt" were very fast and heavy, but this song showed a more serious side of Alice In Chains. Some very heart-felt lyrics in this song. It's Layne talking about his addiction to Heroin, and how it's slowly killing him and how much he wants out. 08. Rooster (live)- off the live album, this song proves that Alice In Chains are just as good live as they are in the studio. One of everybody's favorites from them. 09. Got Me Wrong (unplugged)- a song from the not so well known album "Sap." Awsome song though. The acoustic guitars along with Layne's voice match perfectly. One of their best. 10. No Excuses - a softer, more positive side of Alice In Chains is showed in this song. The Distortion may be turned down alittle, but the soul of Alice In Chains is still there. Another one of my personal favorites. 11. I Stay Away - my personal favorite from Alice In Chains. A beautiful Intro played by Layne, then Cantrell comes in with a distorted riff, an extremely powerful Chorus, One that'll send shivers down your spine, Followed up with a kick ass solo. Not many people know that Layne Staley played guitar as well, but he did, and he did it pretty damn good. 12. What The Hell Have I - another creepy song. Kinda different in a way. Good song, but it's kinda hard to hear Layne's voice in this song. Overall, decent. 13. Grind - to tell you the truth, I never really got into this song. There's nothing wrong with it, but it just never caught my attention. It's the chorus that I didn't really like, but the song is still good. Basic Alice In Chains sound. 14. Again - best song of their self-titled album. Creepy, yet heavy, this song is amazing both lryically and musically. 15. Would? - one of (If not) the best songs from Alice In Chains. An amazing bass line in the beginnning followed up with a great verse. The chorus is the best known part on this song. "Into the flood again, same old trip it was back then, so I made a big mistake, try and see it once my way." A song you can listen to over and over and never get tired of it. // 10

Lyrics: Layne Staley is one of the best singers and writers of all time, so it's no wounder the lyrics are unbelievable. Love, hate, anger, fear, addiction, it's all here. The earlier lyrics seem to be more dark and depressing while the newer lyrics are more positive. It's Layne's fight against Heroin, and how he was slowly winning and getting better until the day he died. RIP Layne Staley. We will never forget all that you've given us. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an awsome album. All of Alice In Chains' best are here along with some previously unreleased stuff. If your a fan of Alice In Chains, buy this album, you'll love it. Alice In Chains is one of the best bands to grace the planet, and they never disapoint. They are one of my influences, and one of the reasons why I'm a metalhead. Rock on! // 10

More Alice In Chains reviews rating latest review