Alkaline Trio Review

8.9
 8.8
 8.9
Alkaline Trio Reviewed by: HawkaLuigi, on february 19, 2007

Sound: Early in the band's career, Alkaline Trio relied a lot on punk riffs and repeated bass lines. This shows off like a sore thumb on their self-titled. The things is, the album wasn't made all at once, it's a compilation of previous EPs and bits and pieces from 1996-1999. In spite of what people think, Glen Porter, not Mike Felumlee, played drums on the album. Bass player Rob Doran played on Sun Dials, Nose Over Tail, and '97. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are absolutely amazing. Matt Skiba and Dan Adriano made catchy choruses and songs about heartbreak, alcoholism, and typical youth feelings toward the world. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music, and they go together hand and hand in all the songs, even though I question Matt and Dan's singing on a song or two. Overall it was pretty good lyrics-wise. // 8

Overall Impression: Although their self-titled isn't as good as their later work, it's still a great album to listen to anytime. Songs that stood out to me were Bleeder, Nose Over Tail, and Southern Rock. I love just about everything on the album, and would have to say this is a must if someone wants to start listening to Alkaline Trio, especially if they want to hear them before they started to change their punk-styles. It this album was lost, I would run out in a split-second to buy it again. // 10

Alkaline Trio Reviewed by: e_mericana, on december 23, 2003

Sound: The sound on this album varies, as it was recorded in different times then brought together in a compilation. The sound on Goodbye Forever is clearly different from Sundials. This album has many of trios unrecognised songs. There is the classic 97 and My Friend Peter. This is the perfect CD if you want to get into Alkaline Trio. This is the collection of all ther 7" songs on the one CD. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are very melodic and easy to catch. The messages in every song are clear. The song 97 deals with loss of a girl and reminsicence of her in the year 97 and the times they shared. Matt Skiba sings 11 of the songs which includes a cover of the Cure's Exploding Boy. In I lied my Face Off, Dan's voice eeriely reminds us of the heartache of lying to someone you love. // 10

Overall Impression: Unlike most Trio albums this is classic trio at their absolute best. There are many different line up on this album and their current drummer Derek Grant is not on this CD. My favourite song from it is Goodbye Forever due to Matts voice sounding superb. If this was lost I would buy 2 more copies just to make sure. If you are like Alkaline Trio you can't call yourself a fan until you own this CD. // 10

More Alkaline Trio reviews rating latest review