Crimson Review

9.3
 8.9
 9.7
Crimson Reviewed by: Fozz!, on april 04, 2005

Sound: This, the Trio's 6th LP, comes about 2 years after their last effort, and marks a continuation of a progression towards a heavier and, arguably, more anthemic sound. The album starts with a very uncharacteristic piano intro, sounding somewhat reminiscent of the band's cover of the Misfit's "Halloween." Skiba too has been experimenting with his guitar-work, and even whips out a delay pedal for a couple of tracks. In short, this album sounds much more mature that anything you've heard Alkaline Trio play before, but is certainly no great step forward, just a natural progression of a much-loved formula. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics too cover the same stories of heartbreak and loss that we've become so familiar with. Perhaps it is this familiarity which makes them rather less potent this time round; some of the pure emotion felt on "Goddamnit" and "Maybe I'll Catch Fire" seems to be missing. Indeed, some of the lyrics here are appalling ? "there's a lightning storm, each and every night/crashing inside you like motorbikes" ? from "Burn" is one laugh-out-loud moment, but this is soon forgotten with one of the best choruses Skiba has ever written. If anything, this album reinforces my view that Andriano is the better lyricist in the band. "Settle For Satin," "Poison" and "I Was A Prayer" really expose his capacious talents, clearly visible to anyone to anyone who ever heard a Tuesday album, but perhaps lost on the average Alk3 fan. However, the album's most instantly catchy track is, unsurprisingly, by Skiba ? "Death Bed" is a great slice of pop-punk and (I'm guessing here) will probably be the first single. // 8

Overall Impression: So, what's the conclusion? A great album, a worthy successor to Good Mourning, and just what I expected. Unfortunately, it is just this predictability which could easily convince me that I'm hearing a band running out of ideas and on it's last legs. After all, the three guys are all happily married now with well-paying "jobs" and, outside of their music, certainly give the impression of contentment. This can only serve to give their recurring tales of destitution and alcoholism an air of fanciful implausibility; putting on an act for the fans if you will. However, put aside their motives for writing this album, ignore my cynical suggestion that there is no longer much integrity in their music, and you'll find yourself left with one of the most intelligent, thought-provoking, yet incredibly catchy, albums of the year. Alkaline Trio are one of the shining lights in the overdone emo/pop-punk genre, and have produced a great album. I can only urge you to pick up a copy. // 8

Crimson Reviewed by: e_mericana, on march 28, 2005

Sound: This album is definitely more experimental, with piano intros, violin interludes and heavier guitar riffs. After the first listen it was clear the band had changed some ways since Good Mourning. The band have become a lot darker and all the song names have very dark undertones. // 10

Lyrics: This is one of my favourite albums already for the lyrics. In "Back To Hell" when matt screams "so send us back to hell" gets better everytime. Mercy Me, Burn, Prevent This Tragedy has great lyrics also. But for lyrics every song is great, every song has a deep meaning. Dan's voice has changed and seems to be almost quieter. Matt is at his usual best on this album. They seem to sing choruses more together on this album and it gives a great effect, particulary in Back To Hell. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to their earlier albums this is a different effort but just as good. My favourite songs have to be Deathbed, Mercy Me and Back To Hell at the moment. The track list for the album is: 01. Time To Waste 02. The Poison 03. Burn 04. Mercy Me 05. Deathbed 06. Settle For Satin 07. Sadie 08. Fall Victim 09. I Was A Prayer 10. Prevent This Tragedy 11. Back To Hell 12. Your Neck 13. Smoke When this album comes out on May 24th I recommend that all Alkaline Trio fans buy it, there are a number of stand out tracks that have the potential to become the next nose over tail or 97'. So make sure you keep your money to get this CD. // 10

Crimson Reviewed by: Greenfinger182, on may 30, 2005

Sound: Well, here they are again: the good old Alkaline Trio. Back to spin their tales about drugs, alcohol, and heartbreak. Something about these guys has a tendency to set them apart from the rest of the pop-punk scene today: it's not something I can put my finger on, but it's a certain tonal quality which I find particularly enjoyable. It's obvious there's been a musical change from their previous album, Good Mourning, a delightfully dark work that signified a transition period. From Here to Infirmary was a catchy, occasionally poppy album with a few tracks prefacing Good Mourning (Trucks and Trains comes to mind), and then Good Mourning served as a median between the band's progression. We see a bit of light shine through on this album, at least more so than Good Mourning, and we realize the Alkaline Trio are headed in a new direction. You're likely to recognize riffs in this album: there are many that the Alkaline Trio use liberally throughout all of their albums. You may recognize the chord progression for the chorus of Time to Waste as the same as the chorus of We've Had Enough, their previous single. These riffs are catchy and can easily have vocal lines written to be equally catchy, and I'm glad the Trio continue to use them. A primary way we see the Alkaline Trio branching out here is instrumentation: you'll notice piano and keyboards in several tracks, with some actually reaching out and being somewhat complex (Time to Waste) and others being simple, yet extremely effective (Burn). Devoted fans will be happy to know, however, that not an incredible amount has changed. You'll still get remorseful songs and simple, catchy songs to strike a contrast. The sound hasn't changed an incredible amount, and many would argue that that's a good thing. // 8

Lyrics: After a lyrically captivating album like Good Mourning, which often set poetry to music, Crimson is just a slight disappointment. The lyrics on several songs are still clever (the chorus and interlude of Burn are primary examples), and some are still quite catchy and meaningful simultaneously (Mercy Me, Smoke), but they don't quite hold the same power that we experienced on Good Mourning. Regardless, comparing the lyrics to earlier works offers a glance at maturity. They mean a lot more than the majority of the simple rhymes experienced on Goddammit and From Here to Infirmary, and I hope Matt can continue to improve upon his current form and style. Speaking of Matt, I've always enjoyed his voice and likely always will. Dan Andriano provides a nice contrast as the baritone-driven, smooth singer in opposition to Matt's tenor-driven, raspy singing. They harmonize quite well together, and I still hold that they're likely the best singing duo in pop-punk at the moment. // 8

Overall Impression: Crimson delivers more of what Alkaline Trio fans want. They may not evolve an extreme amount with each album, but it's always just enough to keep things interesting and keep you coming back for more. The alcohol-induced love songs are here, along with the songs inspired by pent-up rage, and I can guarantee you they're still exactly what you love about the Trio. I truly hope these guys can continue their progression and keep producing quality albums in the future. // 8

Crimson Reviewed by: KubsTrioHeart32, on april 05, 2005

Sound: Even though the copy of it that I have listen to was over the internet, I thought the sound was fabulous, I thought that it was a awesome sounding album. The mixing is great, drum sound is phenominal, and the extra instruments (piano, violin, sound effects, etc) added to the creative aspect in a tremendous way. This album has as realy good flow to it musically, and the smoothness of it is a big step to creating a full sounding album. Not to say the other Trio albums aren't smooth. But it seams more evident in this album that there is a feeling, a vibe that makes you feel so good and it is conveyed through-out the record. // 10

Lyrics: These Lyrics are some of the best I've heard from anyone. I don't think I can think of anyone who can consistantly write as good and meaningful of a number of songs as Matt and Dan have. This is just what I wanted to hear. This album is a perfect representation of what I feel and wish I could write songs like. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the album of the year, at least from my eyes. It definetly has lived up to the expectations that have been created from it. I can easily see "Death-Bed" and "Mercy Me" as being singles, actually, I think all these songs would be suitable as a single. Hopefully the video for whatever the new single should be will kick lots of asses. This is an amazing CD and I recomend it to all fans of music. // 10

Crimson Reviewed by: I_Evil, on april 14, 2005

Sound: Compared to ealier albums (by early, I mean like Godammit and Maybe I'll Catch Fire etc) this is Alkaline Trio reaching their peak as a band. The songs have no more little silly lines in it. Everything sounds more professional and much more darker. Dan has also seemed to inprove on his voice massivly and makes Poison even more fantastic. Compared with songs like Emma from God Mouring, every song on here as a much bigger purpose. The album provides us with very dark gothic-like songs such as "Time To Waste," slow easy listening punk "prevent this tragedy" and fantastic fast paced emo "death bed" and all powerful and hard hitting "Poison." // 10

Lyrics: Since their self released demo tape (which was self titled) Alkaline Trio were one of the best bands for song writing. Matt Skiba has this fantastic skill of turning simple lines and molding them into beatiful song. A band which have to hailed due to their song lyrics, if anything. // 10

Overall Impression: Alkaline Trio lead the way in dark punk. With their gothic like lyrics and thier emo/punk sound, they are perfect for anyone wanting to get into mature punk rock. Fans of like Blink 182 and such should totaly get into Alkaline Trio. They have slowily crawled their wayup the music ladder, but now I believe this album is going to help them reach the top. Don't be suprised to find them posted all over the front page of Kerrang or NME very soon. // 10

Crimson Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2005

Sound: This is the smoothest sounding Alkaline Trio CD ever. Rather than a huge gap between the styles of guitarist/vocalist Matt Skiba and bassist/vocalist Dan Andriano, this sounds more professional and combined. The quality of this is better than all previous CD's before it. After listening to Crimson, I went back and listened to Good Mourning, and the difference in quality was unbelievable. The drums sound a little more raw and distinct on this CD, and it better compliments Derek Grant's style. Matt Skiba's voice sounds amazing, a lot less scratchy this time around. He has completely recovered from the injury he faced during the recording of Good Mourning. On songs such as "Back To Hell" and "Mercy Me," the use of harmonizing is amazing, not to mention the dualing vocals on those songs as well. Matt's songs, "Mercy Me," "Death Bed," "Fall Victim," and "Prevent This Tragedy" are kind of a "tip of the hat" to his older material, while a lot more mature than anything he's recorded before; and songs like "Time To Waste" "Burn," and "Your Neck" show a different side of Matt Skiba, yet still holding true to Alkaline Trio's style. Dan Andriano shows his darker side with songs "The Poison," "I Was A Prayer," "Settle for Satin," and singing some of the greatest lyrics he has ever written, while showing a slightly happier side of Dan on "Smoke." This CD is a must-have for anyone. If you really like any of their older CD's, you are sure to like this one even more. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are the some of the best Matt and Dan have ever written. The topics of death, vampires, and tragic events prove that this band can't be compared to anyone else listed in the "pop-punk" genera. // 10

Overall Impression: This entire CD is just completely awesome. A nice smooth listen, yet still brings out the raw energy this band has always given, and is an instant sing-a-long that you won't soon forget. Matt Skiba proved once and for all that he is a damn good guitar player, Derek rocked on the drums, and Danny's bass playing is still the best in the business. The vocals sounded great, great harmonizing, Matt Skiba improved greatly on his melodies, and Dan's lyrics improved greatly. This is a must have. // 10

Crimson Reviewed by: silverymetaller, on june 10, 2005

Sound: Most of the songs are great. Half of the can definitely become another pop-punk anthem if they are released as singles. They've made the right decision of choosing Time To Waste as the first single off Crimson. The piano intro has a very good chemical reaction with the guitar riffs. Other songs I would also recommend must be Burn, Back To Hell and Dethbed. Especially Burn, it has a very special arrangement. Give it a listen. // 10

Lyrics: They've improved a bit in writing lyrics. Not a very big change, but their lyrical techique has grown better. You can tell that from songs like Burn, Prevent The Tragedy or Dethbed. They can really touch your heart or make you feel related to. // 8

Overall Impression: I was never an Alkaline Trio fan. I used to think they were just another common pop punk bands out there. But Crimson has changed my mind. Before Crimson was released, every punk site has put the crimson-ads in the front page. It was appearly a highly-expected album, and the guys didnt let us down. they've done a pretty good job, either lyrically and musically. I would love it more if they have put fewer love songs in it. Its too pop-punk-ish and I think its time for them to grow up. If it was stolen, I would borrow it and burn it as I'm not a huge fan of Alkaline Trio. // 8

Crimson Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2005

Sound: The melodies are catchy. The presentation is about as un-Trio-like as you can get. Once you are able to delve into the songs, past the facade of pop haze, the Trio's style is still visible, but it took me a few tries to really hear it. The Alkaline Trio has never been really good at making a powerful first impression in any of their music, and it's only through continued listening that someone understands how good it is. The same principle applies here, but perhaps with this new edge on their musical voice, the Trio can attract a wider audience. In any case, you can still hear the Trio of old in there. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are always stellar with Alkaline Trio. There were times that I wished the vocals would have been mixed louder. Adriano's voice was harder to understand, and even Skiba's volume seemed low sometimes. Of course, that doesn't detract from the quality. // 10

Overall Impression: Initially, I hated this CD. I am a long time Trio fan, and when I first heard "The Poison," I couldn't even listen to the whole thing. I was having flashes of Adriano dressed up like Brittany Spears and rubbing themselves on a bedpost. When I gave the CD another chance, I found that I could appreciate even the aptly named "Poison" and found that many of the other songs were quite well done, if you can get past the heavy pop toxicity surrounding them. My two least favorites are the aforemetioned track and "Your Neck," as I've never really cared for the songs about vampire tendencies in the past. "Sadie" is nowhere near as good as it is on the One Man Army Split. All the rough edges and gritty guitar and vocal interactions that made it raise hair before are gone and replaced with smoothly interacting instruments with a heavy hand on the synthesized strings. "Sadie" will always be a good song regardless, but the new version is a total detraction. The only thing I appreciate in the new version is Sadie's testimony mixed at a higher volume. Overall, if given a chance, this is another excellent set of songs from the Trio. I can only hope that they generate a lot of success and following from it, and can go back to the simpler, more powerful days of "Nose Over Tail" and "Crawl." // 10

Crimson Reviewed by: PrivateEye721, on july 01, 2005

Sound: The first time I listened to the CD, I thought I bought the wrong CD b/c it didn't sound like the Trio at all. The style is very different from the older stuff. But after listening to the Crimson a couple of times, I could hear the older style mixed in with the new. Like in "Fall Victim" the intro has a similar sound to that of "Goodbye Forever." You also hear some of the old style in "Mercy Me." Overall, the "new" Trio style takes a little getting used to, but it's still wonderful none the less. // 8

Lyrics: No one can beat Matt's lyrics. Need I say more? Matt Skiba has to be one of the best song writers ever to live. Although the lyrics aren't so much about relationships and heartbreak, you still get moved by the beauty of its poetic nature. I do wish that Skiba would write more songs about heartbreak b/c I think those are his best songs, but the lyrics on Crimson are very powerful. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, when I first listened to Crimson, I really couldn't believe that it was the Alkaline Trio playing. But once you get used to it, this is really a wonderful CD. The Alkaline Trio still provide their touching "pop" lyrics with the powerful guitar sound, just as they did back in 1997. If you're into emo or punk-rock, the Alkaline Trio is a perfect band to listen to. The lyrics are easy to catch on to, and the music is easy to fall in love with. // 10

Crimson Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2005

Sound: When I first listened to Crimson, I was very dissapointed. Alkaline Trio have changed alot from the band I fell in love with two years ago. Having spent most of my time listening to Goddamnit and Maybe I'll Catch Fire, Crimson was a bit of a shock, however, after a bit of getting used to, it's a quite good record and has attracted a lot of new fans. Already existing fans will notice that sound has matured alot, and is a natural evolution from Good Mourning. There have been experiments with out instruments such as the piano in Time To Waste. The sound is a lot more commercial and not so different from the other popular 'emo' bands of the moment, which is good for new fans, but a little dissapointing for people who love Alkaline Trio for what they used to be. // 8

Lyrics: Although the lyrics are all good enough, there are some obvious let downs, such as "Such a basket case, hide the cutlery," "You felt sorry so I felt a wrath come." However, there are also good lyrics such as "Had a nice grip on my life till you twisted my arm" and the chorus to Deathbed: "They found me face down in the street/On the night you left to find another place to sleep, in rain and reget/They said they tried everything but it was no use/Yeah they tried everything and everyone but you." All in all, the standard of the lyrics is pretty good but not as good as previous albums. And it goes without saying that Matt Skiba's vocal skills are flawless, perfect, gorgeous. He has the sexiest vioce I've ever heard. And Dan Adriano does well also, although he was at his best on I Lied My Face Off, which was the first time I realised that he could actually sing with angst. His latest songs seem to be lacking in attitude. // 6

Overall Impression: In comparison with their previous albums, Crimson is a bit of a let down. It seems to have replaced their early attitude with more gothic inspired sophistication, which I feel doesn't quite suit them. The impression given is that they have changed their sound to meet the demands of the current emo'loving market, but then, their sound has been progressing steadily and this could be a natural evolution for them. It's a good album for new fans, and old fans can grow to like it, it just seems to have lost something. This is possibly only becasue I think that their best albums were Goddamnit and Maybe Ill Catch Fire, and those albums had a completely different sound from this one. My personal favourite tracks are Deathbed, The Poison and Fall Victim. The worst tracks are Mercy Me (good chorus but the verses don't seem to match), I cant think of any more truly bad sings. I guess I'm just being biased against Crimson becasue I think Alkaline Trio reached perfection before it, then started to lose their edge. All in all it's not a bad album and I don't blame the band for trying to go in a new direction. However, if I lost Crimson, I'd download a copy from my friends and go buy Placebo's greatest hits instead. Or Matt Skiba's solo stuff, which rocks. // 8

Crimson Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2005

Sound: Definetly very different from past efforts. New additions such as pianos, synths, and violins give it a much more epic sound. However, that's not necessarily a good thing. Those of us accustomed to the old trio will find ourselves asking "Is that really them?" Well it is. The Trio have evolved slightly since Good Mourning, their sound slightly darker, yet poppier. Let me just get one thing out of the way. "The Poison" is utter s--t. That's the only time I have ever said that about a Trio song, and I hope it's the last. 'Nuff said about that. I like all the songs on the album. However, my top favorites are Burn, I Was A Prayer, and Sadie. The only track besides Poison I could have done without was Settle For Satin. Matt is still a good guitarist, whipping out some more solo-ish riffs in this outing, something you won't find on their earlier work. Dan is still the best bassist in the world, when he wants to be. It makes me mad when he does this "Oh, I'll just follow the guitar chords" crap. But from a performing standpoint, I understand its not practical to be all over the neck while you're singing. The sound is much more refined, less sloppy and way more produced. Whether that' good or bad, its up to you to decide. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are in the same style as Good Mouring, and parts of FHTI by which I mean dark and gothic. You won't find any "I'd love to rub your back" here. I must say, I found the vampiric lyrics of "Your Neck" offputing as that is something I would expect from some crappy goth band, which the trio are not. Lyrics aside, it's a good song. There is one blunder: the motorbike line in Burn. But it's easily forgiven as the chorus is amazing with the line "Everyone learns faster on fire." Some of the tracks can be disturbing with lyrics about the Manson family, the West Memphis Three, and the grisly murders associated with them. Sadie's testimony really hit me and I was a little creeped out for a while. All in all, the trio are the best lyricists out there but theyre subject matter has changed over the years. Matt's voice is still great, but with almost no rasp, which was almost orgasmic on their earlier work. Dan's singing for the most part was mediocre, his voice way overproduced. However he makes up for it on I was a Prayer and then some. It's up to you whether or not you like their new style. // 10

Overall Impression: I was a bit shocked at first listen but I had heard it would be much more mainstream so I was somewhat prepared. To tell you the truth, I didnt listen to this album till about 4 months after it came out because I was scared that my beloved trio might have dissapeared forever. But I was wrong. They're still here and while I like the new sound, I don't ever want to forget the old. In some of the tracks, if you listen very closely, you can hear the trio of the '90s somewhere inside. And that is a good feeling. What I am hoping for on their next album is for them to blend their 2 sounds together into a super-album. Sadly, that doesnt look like it will happen as it looks like the new trio are here to stay. But maybe, just maybe, I will get a taste of the blending of two greatnesses when I go to their show next week. // 10

Crimson Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2005

Sound: Well, as I'm sure many Alk 3o fans have, I've been awaiting this with some trepidation. Good Mourning was a good album, but matching Goddammit or even From Here To Infirmary is not easily done, and I suspected things were heading downhill in terms of sheer quality. And the music generally is still satisfyingly effective, catchy, simple, all those things I love about (old) Alkaline Trio, but after a few listens to the album, I think it becomes clear that except a few standout songs, this is not an album to match their earlier work, even if it is a natural progression. The overall sound is similar to Good Mourning, which in my opinion is not great news compared to anything before that. // 8

Lyrics: The main reason I got into Alkaline Trio was their imaginative lyrics, and while I don't mean to have a rant, things ain't what they used to be. Perhaps the more angst-ridden songs seem fake now that they're living what sound like pretty damn good lives, perhaps if they dedicated more time to a cause (I was impressed they had a track of Rock Against Bush, even if it was something of a cash-in) rather than attempting to recreate or gradually progress from what gave them success earlier in their careers. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall I'd still say it was worth the money, it's not a terrible album by any means, Smoke, Burn and Time To Waste (amongst others) are great songs that catch the imagination but now that they're finally touring the UK and tickets are 20 odd, I'm tempted to say they've sold out and really are sucking money from their fans. Which is fine by me, anyone who can support a band who would do that is by no means a bad person, far be it from me to condemn anyone for such a thing. I'd still say I'm glad Alk 3o existed and produced 4 brilliant albums, it's just a shame that that's the average number of good songs and the newer albums. Ah well, where are you, my little needle? // 8

Crimson Reviewed by: KerazyPhool, on december 07, 2005

Sound: Alkaline Trio are quite well known for their dark and deep lyrics, songs and apperance and this album justifys that very much. Infact almost too much. It seems that with their new release, Crimson, they were trying too hard to pull off this shadowed image. I first heard the album pretty much as it was released, my friend a major AT fan. I found the album really good at first (hadn't heard much of them) but as the older Trio crept onto my Media Player I slowly realised how different Crimson was. Different for the good? Only the fan can decide that. Myself though, I would have to say that it doesnt touch the older Trio stuff for me. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics, as with any other trio song, remain beautifully evil and thats one of the remaining few things I love about Crimson. Powerful and quite outstanding, however when I was a new fan I ignored them very much as I dont think Trio promote them as much as the music. Matt Skiba's voice is pretty incredibly but on this, I was almost shocked. It was so well clean and mature. This was not Skiba for me. I kenw him better as a rebellious singer, his voice low and sometimes misty but still a pleasure to listen to. Now that he sounds awful now but I prefer when he had the raw voice of an unexperienced singer. However I do find his voice on Sadie and Smoke very enchanting. // 7

Overall Impression: I don't own the album myself but I do have the songs on my computer. I don't think it's as good as their earlier but I wouldnt give it a miss as such. You might find some comfort in it but for me, it's a rather unstable album and the older Trio will remain stronger. // 7

Crimson Reviewed by: the_bride_2006, on february 06, 2006

Sound: You cannot deny it-Alkaline Trio originally flew the flag for gloom-punk before metal-loving My Chemical Romance came and snatched it out of their hands. But it's here on the Trio's fifth offering that they prove that they can still do what they do best, only better. Having cut down on his drinking considerably, front- axeman Matt Skiba's vocals don't sound as if the actual record itself has gone to hell. And now that the Trio are married/getting married, no longer do they sing about screwed up relationships. Musically, the best song of all 13 or so songs is "The Poison," with it's stunning riff and images of strangely enough, rooftop views of London and Brooklyn. The only real let down is the "Prevent This Tragedy" chorus. Whilst the violin intro and verses are spine-chillingly perfect, the chorus just goes to hell. They switch immediately from gothic slow-burner to pop-punk rollercoaster ride and it doesn't fit at all. // 9

Lyrics: Key to an excellent album = thought-provoking lyrics, excellent riff, humongus hooks and a suitable voice. There are very few bands that have all of these. The lyrics of "Crimson" make Guns 'n Roses look like Simple Plan at times-take "Fall Victim" for instance ("She came, she came with sterile warning") and hard-hitting songs like "Sadie", the most outstanding song on the album (about Sadie Mae Glutz of the Manson Family). The lyrics and the music actually work together splendedly. And that, young musicians, is the key to a great album. // 9

Overall Impression: I would personally hunt down and kill the person who stole "Crimson," if it were stolen, and I would replace it if it got lost. The most impressive songs on the album, like I said, are stunners "Sadie" and "The Poison". Future single "Burn" also stands out a mile from the rest. Despite the chip in the perfectly sharp blade that is the chorus of West Memphis Three-based "Prevent This Tragedy," this can confirm and assure the Trio that they will win over a whole army of new fans and new young guitarists with "Crimson" (originally called "Church And Destroy"). An exceptional piece of work from the Chicago trio. // 9

Crimson Reviewed by: PointNumberOne, on july 17, 2006

Sound: Crimson is definitely a different sound for A3, and impression with the piano intro to Time To Waste was: "What the hell happened to A3?" But after listening to the entire album, I could tell that A3 was still alive and kicking. The piano parts are a very nice addition to the album. Burn uses a delay effect that sounds great. The guys really outdid themselves musically on this album, from guitar and bass riffs to drum parts, and although they are far from the best musicians in the world, the music won't leave you disappointed. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, but there are a few week points. But that's to be expected with any album. At times they're incredible though. Songs like Time To Waste, The Poison, Mercy Me, I Was A Prayer, and Smoke are amazing lyrically. The chorus to Burn is also amazing, but the verses are a bit week. The lyrics and music meet perfectly. Matt and Dan are incredible vocalists, their voices complement one another and fit perfectly with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a different sound for the boys, but it's still incredible. A little bit of a turn in the road, but still good. Basically all the songs on this album are impressive, some are weaker than others, but they all have their moments. Smoke is probably my favorite, although slower it's an incredible, incredible song musically and lyrically. I can't honestly say I dislike anything about this album, either. It's an incredible piece of work and as always with the Trio it really bears their souls. The boys mean this album and it's a piece of them as well as a masterpiece, and I would have to say that it's one of my favorite CDs. It's dark and angst filled, but at the same time expresses hope. // 10

Crimson Reviewed by: Newyawker4life, on august 14, 2006

Sound: These guys have been around for the longest time and I must say I am quite impressed with the creative dynamics that are still pumping out of them. The sound that Crimson has is unlike any other Trio record. It takes on a Cure/AFI type of feel, not only are the lyrics better, but the riffs are darker and less poppy, which leaves a better taste in our mouths when listening to it. They maintain an over all variety, from the delay/flanger filled Burn to the original Trio style heard on "Back To Hell". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album seem to tie in with more of a personal aspect. Some make you think, others make you nod your head and want to rip a hole in the wall. Skiba's voice isn't the best, but it is unique and is complimented well by Rob Doran and even drummer Glen Porter. I mean these guys all put in their part from every side, lyrically, instrumentally and vocally, great overall band. Very unified if I must say. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a huge Trio fan, and am very happy with this album. One thing I would like to see on the next album is more of a "live" sound. Some songs sounded to "perfect", Skiba's voice is raw and his guitar riffs are catchy, I'd love to see less layers of guitars and more of Skiba just doing his thing, like he would on stage. If I were to lose this album I would buy 2 more incase it occurs again. It's just a great overall record and I am glad these guys can be creative, yet stick to their original sound. // 9

Crimson Reviewed by: ShwagMan12, on january 04, 2007

Sound: Well, the Alkaline Trio CD that I am reviewing, is the deluxe edition of their 2005 CD, Crimson. There are two CD's in this edition. One is with the original songs and the other is with demo's and acoustic versions. The CD opens with the song, "Time To Waste". A melodic piano intro with hard hitting guitars and drums. Then the CD closes with Smoke, a ballad type song. This CD in my opinion, is one of their most mature CD's yet. Most of the styles that the guitarist, Matt Skiba, has used in this CD is mainly 4 to 5 powerchord songs. But with an additional guitar track added which plays the lead, the songs are a sure hit. With matured lyrics, simple guitar beats and clever drum work, Alkaline Trio makes this CD sound like their best in a long time. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD has changed drastically. Although, while bass player and backing vocals Daniel Adriano still sings a little immature lines "A romantic plastic piece of sh*t you can mold/Until I break into chokeable pieces," I Was A Prayer. The way the lyrics go with the music is very well made. The song called "Sadie" has a light sound with a simple, but complex solo. Overall, the lyrics were very well made. Also, listening to the demo's are very interesting because you can actually hear his real voice and not altered like other muscians/artists. // 8

Overall Impression: Alkaline Trio has not changed their sound with this CD. The only changed is that they have matured a lot since they came out with their earlier CD's and have put more thought into their music. This CD is a great buy and is also interesting to hear the demo's they have made prior to the release of their CD. Recommend this for all rock/pop people! // 10

More Alkaline Trio reviews rating latest review