From Here To Infirmary Review

9.6
 9.5
 9.7
From Here To Infirmary Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on may 04, 2004

Sound: This album is typical Alkaline Trio. Perhaps not as dark as "Good Mourning", the band's most recent effort, but still very cathartic. As always, there's heaps of energy and what is so unique about Alkaline Trio is how they manage to blend so many different musical styles. As a result, it's hard to describe the sound, save for saying that it's a blend of punk, emo and pop-punk. The hooks are catchier than crabs in a brothel, and the lyrics are painfully witty. This is a great album. // 8

Lyrics: In Matt and Dan, Alkaline Trio have two quality vocalists. Matt Skiba is both a talented lyricist and singer, and his lyrics are dark, yet humourous. A fine example of this is "New Year's Eve was as boring as heaven, I watched flies f**k on Channel 11". Who knows what's going on in that man's head?! Who cares? The lyrics, although contrasting with the music, are very, very good. Almost every line rhymes in a way in which you would not expect, and the themes vary quite a lot. From Satan to ex-girlfriends, this album literally has it all. // 10

Overall Impression: It's definitely worth a listen. The outstanding lyrics and catchy melodies make it an irresistible album. Put it this way, to have both "Private Eye" and "Stupid Kid" on one album is amazing - to have one would be a blessing. I would pay full price for just those two songs. Of course, you also have my personal favourite "Hell Yes" and the equally good "Crawl", as well as "Armageddon", which features on the most recent Tony Hawk's game. Overall, it's an absolutely brilliant album, with very little flaws. // 10

From Here To Infirmary Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2004

Sound: This is the cd that brought an unknown alkaline trio into the world. The sound on this album is very good, studio produced at vagrant which is a step up from asian man records. The trio experiment a little adding piano bits in songs such as crawl. But you can't mistake matt's guitar riffs. However not like the regular raw electric we have been used to in the bands previous releases. // 10

Lyrics: Matt and Dan's lyric potential is endless and this cd is an example of it. From the hit singles Private Eye and Stupid Kid, to the modern alkaline trio anthem Armaggedon, the lyrics are pure trio. They may have changed line up once again but its the same alkalinwe trio we know. Matts ability to make words ryhme is outstanding, eg. I've been preoccupied with with these sick sick senses that sense D.N.A. on barb wire fences out of private eye is a testimony to this man's ability. (If I could rate more than 5 then I would). // 10

Overall Impression: This album, was trios breakthrough into the music stream, I hadn't heard of them until then but now I am a die hard fan, owning every cd they have produced. It is a lot more higher class, with state of the art recording, which is unlike asian man records. I had come accustomed to the sounds of raw electric guitars, but now they are gone. If this cd was stolen, I would kick the shit outta who took it, and obviously buy another one. // 10

From Here To Infirmary Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2004

Sound: Musically I would not describe FHTI as Alkaline Trio's most ambitious or original album, but I can't deny that the melodies still stick in my head, and I've had this album since it was released! The sound is noticeably less raw than their previous LPs but the quality of the guitar parts [particularly in Hell Yes] remains. Finally Alkaline Trio seem to have achieved the balance between beautiful guitar parts, intelligent bass and lyrics, without ignoring the drumset. It's such a shame that they threw it away again with Good Mourning. // 8

Lyrics: As always the Trio's lyrics remain top-notch. In terms of the entire genre of rock I can't say I've heard evidence of any band with lyrics so darkly and painfully funny as these - 'why i turned out the way I did, someone somewhere dropped me on my cranium'. Matt Skiba's voice is as powerful as ever, especially in Take Lots With Alcohol. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall From Here To Infirmary is arguably Alkaline Trio's best album, combining the passion and energy of Goddammnit with Maybe I'll Catch Fire's sheer emotion. They certainly seem to have led bands such as Blink 182 in the right direction, but no emo or pop-punk band I've seen can surpass the Trio! // 10

More Alkaline Trio reviews rating latest review