Goddamnit Review

Tones: Brooding, Cathartic, Playful, Bittersweet, Reflective
Styles: Punk-Pop, Emo
 9.9
Goddamnit Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2004

Sound: The raw energy of Alkaline Trio's debut LP is unmatched. From the mocking tones of Cop to the sad beauty of San Francisco and Enjoy Your Day, Goddamnit just cannot be beaten by anyone - perhaps not even the Trio themselves. For once we see a pop-punk band (or emo if you must) in which the bass doesnt dumbly follow the guitar chords, it has a meandering life of its own! The at times angrily fast-paced guitar suits the lyrical stylings of Messrs Adriano and Skiba perfectly, though Andriano typically sticks to the heart-breaking slow songs. // 10

Lyrics: I can't convey the genius behind these songs. Whatever's going on inside Matt and Dan's heads, it's revealed so funnily yet touchingly that sometimes I can't help think that 500 listens is simply not enough. I swear, seriously, if you go out and buy this make backups, cus you'll wear the cd out. 'Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from, sing you to coma so to speak' - if you like it, buy this now and you won't be able to thank me enough for my recommendation. // 10

Overall Impression: How can I tell you how geat this album is without repeating myself now? It blows all the similar punk bands I've heard out of the water, in fact it could be done with just My Little Needle - if not deep by pop-punk standards, it certainly qualifies as shockingly hilarious. I can honestly say my least favourite thing about this album is the cover. And hows this for proof of how much I love it - I had my entire CD collection stolen from me while I was lending it to a friend. And this was one of the 5 (out of 42) I bought again straight away. // 10

Goddamnit Reviewed by: e_mericana, on december 30, 2003

Sound: This is the greatest CD I own. The sound is incredible, from catchy vocals to eletric guitar riffs to solemn acoustic songs. There is something on this album for everything. From the first ever alkaline trio song ever written - nose over tail to my personal favourite cringe. The quality is good and like Maybe I'll Catch Fire it does sound like a live show. // 10

Lyrics: Matt and Dan's lyrics are the bst trio lyrics in my opinion. The lyrics in cringe are outstanding, with the quote, "you were the last good thing I ever saw, I lost it all!" Matts voice is so clear and enthusiastic and you can't help but sing along. Dan also uses his melodic voice to good use in Message from Kathelene. // 10

Overall Impression: This is The CD to buy. No other CD compares to it. If I honestly lost this CD at midnight I would wait outside HMV until they open to buy another copy. Its than good. If you don't own this CD you might want to run to the record store to buy it. I love everything about this album. I wou;dn't change one thing! // 10

More Alkaline Trio reviews rating latest review