Good Mourning Review

artist: alkaline trio date: 07/19/2006 category: compact discs
alkaline trio: Good Mourning
Released: May 13, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Bleak, Yearning, Wry, Visceral, Rollicking, Exuberant, Nihilistic, Poignant, Fun
Styles: Punk Revival, Emo
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.5
 9.4
 9.5
reviews (13) user comments vote for this album:
Good Mourning Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 02, 2003

Overall Impression: I've been a fan for a while, and I absolutely adore the new album. It's quite different from anything they have ever done before. Most of Dan Andriano's songs are super-happy, which shocked me. The guy just got married and all, so I understand. Matt Skiba's songs are dark and evil....and that's what I love most about him. Matt strained his vocal chords while recording this album, and they had to put off their last shows on their tour so he could heal his voice. Unfortunately, his voice isn't fully recovered on this album. The guitar riffs rock out, and I could totally tell that he got a new guitar. It just has a slight different sound to it then I am used to. "We've Had Enough" is a great song, referring to how music has changed throughout the years, and they made a music video for it and everything. It's super creepy, but immensely their style. They are playing it on the radio (although it is an anti-radio song) and even are airing the music video on TV. The video has this guy who kills all of the band, buries their bodies underneath the basement floor, and the trio ends up haunting the ones living in the house. Great Video....I even liked it more than their video for "Stupid Kid". Matt Skiba wrote some powerful songs. "Continential" is a song about losing a friend to addiction, which I can relate to. Maybe that's why I love it so much? "Donner Party" is sweet too, I mean, they wrote a song about those people who got stuck in the mountains and shxt during winter, and had to eat eachother to surivive....I love it. The acoustic on the end of the album, "Blue in the Face" is a wonderful song as well. His acoustics are always amazing. "Fatally Yours" is a song about the end results of a bad break up. Somehow I got ahold of this techno-like version of this song...it was weird, but I still liked it. "All on Black" is their song that has the most meaning to it...according to Skiba himself. "This Could be Love" is about someone kidnapping and killing him....it's great. Dan Andriano's songs are great too. "Every Thug Needs a Lady" has the most fxcked up title but the song has a great message. One of my favorites, "Blue Carolina" is a song about an aspiring, yet strong relationship between a couple. "100 Stories" is about Hell not being quite what we all thought it would be. "If We Never Go Inside" is one of those songs that deals with change, more so aiming towards changed feelings and leaving someone. "Emma" is about someone who basically fxcked up in a relationship and left. All in all this album is amazing. If you are an Alkaline Trio fan I hope you already bought it, if not, buy it anyways....you'll love it!!! // 10

Good Mourning Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2003

Overall Impression: Absolutely brilliant. Living in England, if a band doesn't wear leotards etc. they aren't gonna do well, but I'd heard some Alkaline Trio stuff before and have always liked their stuff. 'Stupid Kid' and 'Private Eye' were superb tracks on their first album, and after hearing 'This Could Be Love' on the late night radio show, I knew it'd be more of the same. If not, better. When I got the album I put it in my CD player, listened to it once, twice, three times, and couldn't take it out for ages. I love this record, it's most probably one of the best records I have brought for ages. Stand Out Songs have to be 'All In Black', 'This Could Be Love', 'We've Had Enough', 'Every Thug Needs A Lady' and 'Hundred Stories'. Still, it's very hard to pull out stand out songs when, realistically, the whole album is great. Alkaline Trio fans: BUY IT Non Alkaline Trio fans: BUY IT You'll never regret it... // 10

Good Mourning Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: The songs on this album are great. As mentioned in a previous review about one of the singers having problems with his voice, yes this is noticable if you've heard the other albums but does not ruin the album in the slightest. The guitar does sound slightly different but not much, I'd say it is alot smoother than previous recordings which were a bit rawer. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics I believe are great as they blend so well with guitar. The fact they have two great singers working on the songs adds variety to the mix but keeps the authentic alkaline trio sound despite this which is pretty cool. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a definite progression from past albums. Like others I became a fan after seeing the videos on MTV and kerrang for 'Private Eye' and 'Stupid Kid' (From here To Infirimary 2001). This supposedly only sold 95,000 of that album which is a huge injustice if you ask me, should have been platinum. I now own all their albums and am a huge fan. Kerrang describes them as the most meleodic punk band in history and you'd be a fool to argue if you've heard the new and old albums. Before hearing this band I was more into metal (love those solos lol) but I have learnt that to make a great song there doesn't have to be this. Good Mourning has some of the most catchy tunes of any album released in 2003 and songs remain fresh even when played regularly.( I bought bout 100 in total an tht was only the new 1s!!) So if you're a fan already or curious about Alkaline Trio you won't go wrong buying this album. Quality songs that don't bring shame to the genre of punk unlike blink 182 hehehehe... sorry couldn't resist. // 10

Good Mourning Reviewed by: forgetmenot, on january 19, 2004

Sound: It just feels weird that Alkaline Trio use sound effects, but the overall of the music it's still great as usual. The part that makes this album sounds strange is the balance the feeling. Most tracks in "Good Mourning" are fast and lifely... or deathly, either one. But they kind of forgot the slow, emotional tracks as "Fuck You Aurora" in "Maybe I'll Catch Fire", or "You're Dead" in "From Here to Infirmary"... you can look for it yourself. I can't find a touching-enough song that makes it so special or might make someone cry. "Good Mourning" just does not sound complete because I was expecting more than "Blue in the Face" as the slow song, but the show was already over. // 8

Lyrics: The thing about this album is that it makes some fans - including me - afraid if Alkaline Trio will change. It's not that I can't deal with it, but i can't stand the lyrics of "This Could be Love". Slitting their throat and play in their own blood doesn't sound like something Alkaline Trio usually say. And don't forget that they kept on talking about coffin, blood and vampire stuff in almost all the tracks. I hope in the future it would not end up that they talk less and less about the feeling, and all that is left in the lyrics are the coffin, blood and vampire stuff. I'm just afraid if they've lost their magic, which I hope they never will. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Alkaline Trio, but I just can't listen to this album like the way I listen and love their past ones. But still, this might be my own wrong way of seeing it. // 6

Overall Impression: I know it sounded like I kept on saying negative things about "Good Mourning". That's because I want to be honest to myself that the lyrics are rather... dissapointing. I always tell everyone that what I love from Alkaline Trio the most are their lyrics and the feeling they added to the music, and this album is just shockingly different than I thought it would be. But just like other Alkaline Trio albums - technically it's great. It's just lacking some things, which will not allow me to love the album as much as their other albums. // 8

Good Mourning Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2004

Sound: The sound is definitely more polished than in previous releases. The instruments can be heard clearly. It is just fucking brilliant, believe that. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the songs on this album are much, much darker than in previous ones. The topic of death is more emphasized here than on older albums, but Matt and Dan makes it sound fun as hell and enjoyable to the listener. But as usual, other themes such as heartbreak, love, hate, losing hope are still evident. Same old Alk3 goodness, just darker. Dan's voice is deep and solid as always, it is Matt that seems to have lost some of his his vocal prowess on this album, but someow still managed to pull it off. // 10

Overall Impression: Good Mourning is without a doubt one of the best rock releases of 2003. Plain and simple. With outstanding songs such as "This Could Be Love", "100 Stories" and "Fatally Yours" among many others, everyone needs to experience this album as well as older Alk3 stuff. It is a must-have for all punk/emo fans as it is a well-rounded album that one cannot easily get tired of listening to. I recommend this album to everyone, don't miss out on such great music. Stay psycho. I'm out. // 10

Good Mourning Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is that of a more mature Alkaline Trio. It has a more refined feel to it and it is evident that Alkaline has grow mentally as a whole. The CD is said to have a sort of a jungle sound to it and if you listen closely enough this is evident. This is probably their most succesful album yet recording wise. // 10

Lyrics: As always Alkaline Trio has come out swinging with extremely powerful lyrics. To die-hard fans such as I, the lyrics are every thing one could hope for. But obviously for fagots like forgetmenot Alkaline doesnt live up to their standard and to this I have one thing to say "you better be a chick or you are just one gay guy that knows nothing about music". As always Matt and Dan still add magic to their music through the use of their amazing vocal chords, but it seems they've toned it down a bit. // 10

Overall Impression: Like all of their previous albums, Good Mourning has left me with the satisfaction of money well spent. On this album there is everything to love and nothing to hate unless you are more of a fan of Alkaline's more raw sound. If it were to be stolen I would be forced to take non-legal actions upon said criminal and then go buy another copy. My final say: "Alkaline Trio is still and will be for some time one of the best, most original bands on this planet". // 10

Good Mourning Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2004

Sound: I have recently been introduced to this band, and the first song I heard by them was Radio. I wasn't quite impressed by it, then my friend showed me Good Mourning. All I can say is wow, if you like simple, but great sounding songs, this is an album for you. I can also say that although it is easy, it's fast and smooth. // 8

Lyrics: Man, this singing is awesome, I love the grungyness of this album, especially in Blue In the Face. The lyrics, well, lets say that the lyrics are not suitable for young listeners. If your feeling evil,listen to this album, and it may bring a smile to your face. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the better sounding grunge punk band I know of, I'd have to say that Alkaline Trio, and Hot Water Music are the best of the grunge punk scene. So, if you like hardcore lyrics, and a good quick beat, then take a look at this album,I highly reccomend it. // 10

Good Mourning Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 09, 2004

Sound: The sound QUALITY of the album is great. To new listeners that is...On thier older albums, The Trio had a more "unfinished" sound to thier songs...I really love both sounds, but one thing I do miss...Is the way Dan's bass lines used to stand out...Just lsiten to some of their older songs like "Goodbye Forever", and listen to the bass sounds...awesome...But they "produced" that cool sound out...otherwise, I like it. // 10

Lyrics: As others have stated, Matt Skiba and Dan Andriano continue on with thier dark lyrics...Yes, Dan's songs are quite happier sounding, considering he just got married...Let be break down each song lyrically. 1. This Could Be Love-Very very dark song from Matt...Remember, he's not talking about playing in his bloood himself...My take is, anotehr failed relationship, except this time it has sent him over the edge....he's gone quite mad....His ex is disgusted with Matt, as is Matt himse;f (I'd do the same if I saw me)...and he'd rather have her "off" him then continue on like this (I swear its not contagious, in 4 short steps we can erase this)...And he then gives her 4 steps to be rid of him... 2. We've Had Enough-The meaning of this song is quite simple...The verse's of the song don't really go wit hthe chorus though if you ask me...Still a good song with a good 3 chord solo. 3. 100 Stories-Dan's first appearance as the main vocalist on the album....On this song he lingers between his old, sad self, with his new, reborn happy self...He seems to be singing to his new ife...and then letting her and everyone else know how he has "seen the light" so to speak..."I was getting bored, with hurting myself...If you fall down enough, well soon enough, you will find hell...IT can't be as, as pretty as, we hoped it would be...Its not even warm there, not even 10 degree's"....Basically he is saying he's sick of beating himself up physically and mentally...and Its not worth it to want to die and go to hell...because if there is a god, do you really think he intended hell to be any better then earth?...Ends strong with a beldning of Dan and Matt singing...very powerful. 4. Continental-Once gain, this was already stated...losing a loved one to some sort of addiction... 5. All On Black-My personal favorite Alkaline Trio song...the most powerful chorus on the album...I can't really place what exactly this song is about....The verses seem to be about a lost love...as does the ending and the solo at the end....But onece again, I jsut love the hook/chorus to this song...Just eth way he sings it, and the words used..."Sweet blasphemy, my giving tree, it hasn't rained in years.." pure poetry...I really hope they release this song...then again, I hope they release a few others from this CD heh. 6. Emma-A song orignally written for Matt to sing, but because of his damaged vocal cords, Dan sung it...The ended up singing the chorus together and it sounded awesome...If you don't believe me that Matt wrote this, just lysten to the lyrics, the metaphor...comarping an ex lover to "A poinsetta in poisen rain"...these comparisons ring a bell?..."Shaking like a dog shitting razor blades"..."I pour out onto the floor, like liqued qhite from fallen glass"...Anyway, I didn't like this song at first, but the chorus being sung by both singers got my hooked. 7. Fatally Yours-A fiery, fast paced song wuth powerful lyrics...not really my taste, but still a real good song. 8. Every Thug Needs A Lady-Dan's econd offical entry on the album, and wow, what a love song...The title is obviously poking fun at a certain music genre hehe...This song wore out on me after a while, but after listening to it again...Just wow, its agreat love song...you can tellhe's getting married by listening to this one lol...The chrous just has great lyrics..."It's nothing I'll forget, when the moon gets tired...you were stuck to me every day...etc"...The way Dan sings it... 9. Blue Carolina-This song would make a great mainstream single...Dan really brought the mushy love lyrics for this one...And what's great about this song is it can work on three levels....If your WITH a girl you love, LOST a girl that you love, or are about to GET with a girl you love...the chorus eseically works for all three...and the hook towards the end of the song is very emoitonal and sad... 10. Donner Party-I had to watch the movie "The Shining" to get the deep meaning behind this song...For those in the dark, the Donner Party was an 1800's Wagon trail group that got stranded in the Rockies during a severe winter...They few that survived only survived by eating the bodies of the dead...Matt Skiba once again provides us with a great metaphor/similie, comparing a relationship (this is my opinion anyway) with the doomed Donner Party. 11. If We Never Go Inside-Perhaps Dan's best entry on the CD....And His last...And I can see why, becuase thsi song would of ended the CD perfectly...but Skiba has an acoustic song coming up, so instead this song just ends of Dan's portion of the CD off....a song about change, growing up, losing friends...and perhaps, now that he is getting (got) married, he is looking back on the past...the friends that have come and gone...and perhaps taht first love he was talknig about in "She Took Him TOo THe Lake"...Because he sings probably one of the most prolific and stand out love lines since the Beatles were around..."The night never ends if we never go inside...the moon is always full...your calendar, is always pinned on summertime"...He once again brings up a summertime in his life that he wished, and maybe somewhere deep inside still wishes, would never end...Perhaps eluding to that first love that none of us ever forget...He once gain has an AMAZING hook towards the end of the song, one of the most powerful hooks I've ever heard...and he ends that hook sadly..."Helps you pikc through beat up insides..."...And the references to old gorups of friends are evident throughout the song..."We made up rules to follow for good...no wonder we're (by we're, he pretty much means himself), some of us did"...and the chorus...just a great song. 12. Blue In The Face-Wow. Skiba's brused vocal cords actually do this song great justice, as it makes this sad song even more sad...By making Skiba sound like he's barely hanging on, about to give up...Once again, lost love is the theme...But instead of balming one or the other this time, Matt points out that both parties fucked up, and that both are regretting it...so he makes a final offer, a powerful offer that really ends the CD most excellently..."Your coffin or mine?"...Matt pulls off another great acoustic ballad, wouyldn't mind seeing a video for this one. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression: Great CD...fans of the older stuff need to stop NOT liking it for waht it isn't...and LIKE it for what it is...it's great in different ways then thier older CD's... Every song on this CD is great, but All on Black, If We Never Go Inside, Blue In the Face stand out for me most. Buy it. // 10

Good Mourning Reviewed by: punkah, on march 29, 2004

Sound: Punkrock on a darker note. Track 12 is a great acoustic song, the only on the album. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were great, most were about loss and gain, life and death, sadness and happiness. Dan Adriano's voice compliments Matt Skiba's voice, as well as their guitar and bass guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: It wasn't their best album, but I liked it a lot. Tracks 4, 5, 10 were my favorite. I love that despite the mood of their songs, they are highly energetic. I didn't like the little booklet that comes with the cd, as it didn't have any cool pictures of A.T. but it is still worth buying. If it were stolen/lost I would buy something new, just because I've heard it already. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album. // 8

Good Mourning Reviewed by: Dejection, on june 21, 2004

Sound: This is the only Alkanline Trio album I own so I cant really compare the sound to other albums but the sound is pretty hard on some songs and soft on others. I like the transitions in the songs. They use lots of power chords mixed with notes. It makes a good sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty dark in this album. Darker from the other albums what Ive heard but the lyrics are written in a good way that makes you think about what some of the phrases mean. The singers are not the best but you can deal with it. // 8

Overall Impression: On this album there is a lot of good songs but there is a ew really bad ones. Thats why I didn't give it 5's. Only like 3 or 4 of the songs are bad. But I reccomend this album anyway. // 8

Good Mourning Reviewed by: M3TALIKID, on november 14, 2005

Sound: 2 thumbs up to Alkaline Trio in Good Mourning. Great guitar, Dan and Matt both did good, and I'm not sure who there drumer is in the album, (they get a new one every freakin album) but not bad. Alkaline Trio is really maturing. There's piano, keyboard, and a couple things that really enriched the sound. I give Alkaline Trio 10 stars for sound. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Skiba's voice has changed since 'From Here to Infermery.' But, his talent is still with him, and that's all that matters. Funny, did you know that 'From Here To Infermery' is an episode of Itchy and Scrathy from the Simsons? That's where they got the name. Anyway, Matt did great, so 9 stars for him. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definatly one of Alkaline Trio's best. We've had enough is definatly my favorite on the album, but This Could be Love is also pretty good. The guitar, bass, vocals are great, but I just wish they could stick with a god damn drumer! What the hell? I think they should have stuck with Mike Felumly (close friend of my dad's. He's a real cool guy, lives up by Chicago with my family). Mike is about as good as it got for Alkaline Trio. if I lost any alkaline trio CD, I would by it twice just to make sure if I lost one, I would have a backup. // 9

Good Mourning Reviewed by: Adarsh, on may 10, 2006

Sound: A very interesting sound. It kind of blends a lot of genres, from pop-punk to punk rock to a shade of emo here and there, a very unique sound. It relies on power chords, though not as much as most other bands of their genre. Drums are great, bass is also very good, with some interesting riffs and the guitar is faultless. The signature sound of alkaline trio, however, is Matt Skiba's melodic (slightly hoarse in this album) voice which drives the album along with Dan Adriano's more cheerful, bass voice which adds a totally new side to their music. You can tell immediately which song's are whose, as Adriano's songs always have a slightly more upbeat, cheerful sound and Skiba's always has a slightly more dark overtone. // 9

Lyrics: Matt Skiba has always impressed with his lyrics, and will continue to do so. Even if the melody is cheerful, the lyrics will have a darker, deeper meaning which is noticed as soon as you hear it. Also unlike some other singers of this genre, the lyrics are very clear and easy to understand. However I couldn't help notice there was a slight satanic edge to some songs. "Step 1, slit my throat, step 2 play in my blood" in "This Could Be Love" was a kind of eerie line to be singing but still. Dan Adriano's singing AND lyrics have improved leaps and bounds. He gets a nearly even split with Matt Skiba on the songs (7 to Matt, 5 to Dan) and his lyrics tend to be a bit more cheerful. However, they can also border on the darker side sometimes. "If you fall down enough, well, soon enough you'll find hell" are the lyrics in 100 Stories and, well, are a bit different from 'From Here To Infirmary'. // 8

Overall Impression: I wouldn't compare Alkaline Trio to anyone, for the sole reason that you can never place them in any one genre. 'Fatally Yours' was pop-punk, 'We've Had Enough' seemed punk rock and 'Blue in the Face' had an almost Bob Dylan sound to it; acoustic and the voice seemed a bit more hoarse than normal. Best songs were probably 'We've Had Enough', 'Continental, 'All On Black', 'Emma', 'Blue Carolina' and 'Blue In The Face'. I've named half the album there, but that really shows that this album is prety exceptional, with plenty of memorable songs and riffs. I love the whole package; Matt Skiba and Dan Adriano's melodic singing, the riffs that stay in your head, the drumming that fits every song to the T and the darker sound that comes out. There is, to me, nothing really to hate. // 9

Good Mourning Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2006

Sound: I just want to say that the Trio is by far my favorite band. But anyway I must admit when I first got this album I really didnt like it that much. The music is very well produced, good for new fans, bad for old fans. Its very hard to place this CD in one spot. This could be love is kind of emoish and my least favorite song on the CD. We've had enough is straight up punk rock. While others are pop punk. Anyway there a lot of different styles. But the cd has grew on me becoming one of my favorite cds. // 9

Lyrics: Ok lets get to the lyrics. The lyrics this time around are kind of different. Matt's are darker this time around, and they are funny in a sadistic way. For example "You crashed your car through my front door I pulled from the wreckage, You told me that you missed me, but you meant with the grill and hood, you'd kill me if you could". I forgot to mention that Matt is hoarse on this CD. But it only helps to make songs sound darker. Dan's songs are very happy this time around because he just got married. Every thug has a Lady is a very good example. But anyway they both got a close split on the record. So expect to hear a lot more from Dan. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall they changed a bit since Goddanmit. And I'm not going to hold that against them because this is one of the albums ever made, and I'm not overexagerating. It really is that good. The most expressive songs on the album are probably "Blue In The Face", "Continetal", "Every Thug Needs A Lady", and We've had enough. What I love most about this album is how dark it is, and the lyrics are very well written. If it were stolen id buy it back, but at the end of the day this album is well worth the money. // 10

More Alkaline Trio reviews rating latest review