Move Along Review

all-american rejects: Move Along
Released: Jul 12, 2005
Genre: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk-Pop
Label: Interscope
This album is classic, radio-friendly pop/soft rock, which is to say, entirely pleasant listening.
 Lyrics: 7.6
 8.5
 8.9
Move Along Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on march 11, 2013

Sound: The All-American Rejects first garnered recognition with 2002's self-titled debut, which featured the hit single "Swing, Swing" and rocketed Tyson Ritter and Nick Wheeler into platinum success. Shortly following the release, the band introduced Mike Kennerty and replaced touring drummer Tim Campbell with Chris Gaylor. Having stabilized a full lineup and later released a gold-certified live album, the band brought Howard Benson (My Chemical Romance's "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge"; P.O.D.'s "Satellite") aboard to produce a follow-up to "The All-American Rejects". 2005 saw the release of "Move Along", which quickly outsold its predecessor and saw greater mainstream attention brought to the band. As an album catered (to an extent, castrated) to the masses, "Move Along" consists primarily of radio-friendly rock/pop. The record is squeaky-clean and profusely safe, blending perfectly with bands of the mid-2000s emo movement. Each track is ready-made for as much airtime as the band's squealing pseudo-punk/pop fans could possibly ask for less grueling than My Chemical Romance, less sex-driven than Fall Out Boy; a thirteen-year-parent's delight! The title track rolls along with instrumentation miraculously less standard than Green Day, and lyrics as bland as any of Benson's previous releases. "Dirty Little Secret" is dangerously safe, "Night Drive" is a less-than-intense rocker, and album closer "Can't Take It" mercilessly grinds three minutes away with attempted genuinity. "It Ends Tonight" is nice in the same way a Van Hagar ballad is; it wears off after the twelfth or eleventh radio reprise. Of course, radio stations wouldn't have spun the record as many times as they did if they didn't love it, right? More disabling to this record than its standard composition and iffy production is its tracklist not the tracks comprising the record, but quite literally the order in which they're presented. "Dirty Little Secret" isn't an opener as much as an opening track, and "It Ends Tonight" is, bizarrely, a track four placeholder. "Straitjacket Feeling" attempts to slow the album down without realizing that "Top Of The World" had already done the job (unintentionally), and "Can't Take It", strangely enough, exists in the first place. Generally speaking, the album really is just a jumbled mess of safe songs, even if "11:11 PM" is a nice little tune and "Change Your Mind" is a great mixture of the band's two releases. The greatest weakness is truly how thinly veiled weakness among the tracks truly is; many of the tracks on their debut fell short, but at the very least, fun was had in their earnestness. Not a single track on "Move Along" tries, and the radio loves it for that simple fact. To some extent, perhaps they didn't need to try; some of them are deceptively good. It certainly isn't an entirely wasted forty minutes, but any amount of flair (beyond greater production value and a full band) would have aided the record in vying for some kind of substance. At the very least, the album stood as the definitive All-American Rejects release for the remainder of the decade, though when broken down, the only curve worthy of note is the conspicuous absence of one. // 5

Lyrics: The All-American Rejects is one of the greatest offenders in 2000s rock/pop/emo/etc. Tyson Ritter not only takes a cheese grater to the ears more often than not, but apparently does so to paper along the way. Lyrically and vocally, "Move Along" is a real bummer. As in the case of production and composition, the album is ready-made for the airwaves, from "Dance Inside" 's barely-suggestive groove to "Top of the World" 's slightly-ethnic cuts. The laziest of these is "Can't Take It", a real climax-killer (not in the "No, I am your father" sort of way, either). "You speak to me/I know this will be temporary/You ask to leave/But I can tell you that I've had enough" and so on. Amateurish whining for the most part; "You might as well just do it alone" ends the chorus. "Stab My Back" boasts "And now we're broken on the floor... /It hasn't been this way before" and "The phone rings/And she screams." Monosyllabic rhymes seen in any second-rate rock/pop act, topped off with Ritter's awful, awful voice. The saddest fact of the record is that, as bad as Ritter often is and as run-of-the-mill as the lyrics are, it goes mostly unnoticed until "Can't Take It". The eleven tracks before it are mostly dignified, but when that ending rolls in, a sullen fact sets in: you're forty minutes older and listened to a twenty-year-old whine about girls for the entirety of the time passed. Defeated and ashamed, you slam the CD player shut and toss a used copy of "Move Along" to the ground. How could this ridiculously flawed record have thwarted you with such ease? And, as the sunlight breaks into the misty mid-day, you realize: safety. Because, ultimately, Ritter's bad vocals and dreadful lyrics are safe. They're what America is paying to hear in 2005. What a rude awakening. // 4

Overall Impression: Though "The All-American Rejects" introduced the band as a somewhat-flexible little rock/pop act with some sensibility for a good radio tune, "Move Along" severely overstays its welcome. Quite apart from the freshness of the debut, it feels all too familiar from the first listen. It certainly accomplishes that which it sets out to, but perhaps this is the Rejects selling out in the truest sense potential greatness sacrificed for ready-made popularity. This isn't always a bad thing, but anyone approaching the band with some sort of enthusiasm is in for a stalemate: the record doesn't impress nearly as often as it apathetically occupies. "Move Along" is designed to fill dead air, and that is the one and only thing it accomplishes albeit, establishing itself as the band's big break along the way.

// 5

Move Along Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2005

Sound: The music on the album is very easy-listening, with melodies and riffs that will be in your head ages after. The sounds used are nice to the ear, with kick-ass chord progressions and some really radio-friendly dynamics. Although a little repetitive, songs like Dance Tonight and Can't Take It, the later of which uses only a piano and a string orchestra, show a very different side of TA-AR. Tyson's voice sounds a little stronger on the record, which is both good and bad in certain songs. I would certainly recomend this CD to anyone who liked their first album or like their genre of music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are really well thought out, with some amazing choruses (Dance Tonight, title track Move Along). The lyrics seem to be directed towards certain people and talk to people, rather than tell a story. I don't think there is a song with out the word "you". Some of the lyrics are obviously just off the top of their heads and I would say they should have gone over them because some of them are second rate, but the music and melody compensate for it. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a really nice, easy listening album, and it certainy has moved on from their self-titled debut. Sophomore records are tricky experiences, however I think this certainly makes them stand out and they have proved themselves to be good song crafters and lyricists. The most impressive songs on the album are Dance Inside, Move Along and Can't Take It which you should at least download! The whole album is a delight to listen to. There is a nice blend of guitars, electronics and piano and stings, which is what shot them to fame. I don't hate anything on this album. To be honest, I downloaded the album but I would certainly recomend buying it and I have just done so. I think it is deffinately a snap shot of what is to come from the emo giants. // 10

Move Along Reviewed by: xeinselx, on august 13, 2005

Sound: The All-American Rejects have a very unique sound. I think they try very hard to make it different from other bands so they stand out. I mean, it did take them 2 years to complete the album, and I do believe that it was worth waiting for. In almost every song there is a very heavy guitar solo and I give props To Nick Wheeler for that. I also love how they have a mix of Piano and Orchestra in the CD. Each song is different, some are fast, some are slow. Each song is perfect for any mood. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were easy to understand, and easy to follow. Each song carries a different message, which makes the album even more unique. It's not talking about the same heartbreak throughout the whole CD, it focuses on different topics. The All-American Rejects have a way of making words fit without having to squeeze them in. Tyson Ritter, the vocalist, has a very large octave range. He can hit a very low note and next second a very high one (even to some girls it's high). His voice is very unique, it seems the band, unlike others, has no need for screaming and Tyson uses different ways with his voice to get the point across of his mood. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is just as good as the First one. Many other bands slack off after they reach the top, but it seems that the All-American Rejects have worked really hard to make it just as good as the first. A song that caught me off Guard was Can't Take It. I had no idea that they would be creative enough to do a song with just an Orchestra and Tyson. I'm very impressed with that. Straight jacket was also Composed very creatively. Not many of today's artists are into finger picking, but that kind of guitar playing style is beauty by itself. I love the fact that I can play the CD without having to skip any songs because each one is ear candy. There is nothing I hate about this CD, except for the fact of the long wait. But I know if they rushed it, it would not be as beautiful as it presently is. Even if it were stolen or lost, I would buy again and again. And hand it out to people. This CD is just way too good to pass up. In fact, when I lost their old one, I cried. I would cry if I were to loose this one too. // 10

Move Along Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 03, 2005

Sound: A hard question: do you know where Stillwater, OK, is? Well, All-American Rejects sure do as they spent the first part of their life in that small American town. Thus, having not too much entertainment there, Tyson Ritter (vocals/bass) and Nick Wheeler (guitar/programming/ keyboards) turned to music. Listening to AC/DC, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard guys learned to play guitars and by the time they met at a party in high school, both knew what they wanted to do in life. Soon they found the members for the vacant spots -- Mike Kennerty for guitar and Chris Gaylor for drums and by 2000 the band became official. The same year they released their first indie record. Having toured all through Midwest gave them the opportunity to sign up to Doghouse Records and in October 2002 All-American Rejects released a self-titled debut. Soon after that the album was reissued by DreamWorks. Their most successful song from the album, and still the biggest achievement up to nowdays, is "Swing Swing," which climbed to number 11 on Billboards's Modern Rock Tracks chart. After three years of touring, the band jumped record labels and in the summer 2005 released the sophomore album "Move Along" on Interscope. Now there are no more four of them with Kennerty and Gaylor quitting the band for their own reasons. The backbone of the group -? Ritter and Wheeler released a radio-friendly album, full of soft pop melodies, lyrics about relationship and non-ambitious songs. Most of the tracks are driven by all kinds of anxiously crackling guitars. Distortion in "Stab My Back," trashy in "Night Drive," acoustic in "Top Of The World." Thrashy sound of "Night Drive" makes you think of The White Stripes, esp. when it comes to the chorus. "Top Of The World" starts thrilling due to the Spanish-sounding guitar, but the chorus spoils it all. "Move Along" is an optimists' anthem that reminds you of something very obvious you just can't figure out what that is. When you hear the children's chorus, it becomes clear -? that's a song written for Michael Jackson -- "Don't give up, Jacko!" No doubts. The band attempts a few emo ballads -? "It Ends Tonight," "Straitjacket Feeling" and, of course, one more to finish with "Can't Take It." Well, at least one of them is good -? the best song on the record "It Ends Tonigh." If you've heard at least a couple bands of that type, you can notice that most of the songs are so obvious that it becomes boring listening to them after the second versus. // 4

Lyrics: Just about every one of a dozen songs tells you about young love and relationship. Lyrics are too simple most of the time, revealing things you've heard about a hundred times, even with the same words. Vocals are a big topic of discussion. Ritter's vocal abilities are not awful, even with ridiculous layers of vocals in most songs. Sometimes, when he's hitting a high note, I feel sorry for him 'cause the guy is trying too hard and you can even hear that it's not easy for him as he strains his throat. Also sometimes you can hear a very typical sound -? like the vocalist is spitting in the microphone. By the end of the record you feel spitted all over. Not a very nice feeling. Just wondering -? is that the band's seal? // 6

Overall Impression: With their new album All-American Rejects didn't bring anything groundbreaking to music. I would say it's just another album of a typical American pop-punk band. Weird, America is flooded with bands of this type and none of them ever got the same success overseas. Listening to the record I had a feeling that the guys sometimes don't know what they're doing (just think about a children's chorus... hmm...) Most of the songs are going nowhere. Even if the beginning seems promising, the chorus doesn't hold the attention. What safes the record is that it's impeccably arranged, but when it comes to the band, the guys are still very immature. Listening to the AC/DC and Def Leppard for the half doesn't helped the band at all -- it's still the simpliest (and boring) kind music you can get out there. That's probably my age that prevent me to look at the All-American Rejects with eyes of exalted teenager. The band is probably a good fit for a Vans Wrapped Tour, but, being recorded, they don't make much impression. Most definitely I won't think about them again after awarding them here with my 2 mark. // 4

Move Along Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is fairly similar to the old album (which I perfer), but nonetheless this album is a great one. Tyson has a very good range (being a singer in a active touring band), he can hit some very high notes. The guitar work isn't anything special, but it's quite good. Some good solo work in "Dance Inside." Here are the tracks on there sophomore album, "Move Along." Being very well awaited. They have alot of shit riding on their shoulders. Will it live up to songs like "Swing, Swing," and "The Last Song?" 01. Dirty Little Secret - pretty good song, very catchy chorus 8/10. 02. Stab My Back - Good song 7/10. 03. Move Along - great chorus, and cool guitar work 8.5/10. 04. It Ends Tonight - a wicked song. The first slow song on the album but an awesome song 9.5/10. 05. Change Your Mind - the key change to the chorus is annoying. The solo though, and after that saves the song 7/10. 06. Night Drive - a bit of a harder song. Not a bad song, but not a amazing song. The chorus drags down in this song. Though the pre verse is very cool 7.5/10. 07. 11.11 Pm - great song. Great intro riff. Typical Rejects 8/10. 08. Dance Inside - awesome song. The slower songs seem to get the big marks on this album 9/10. 09. Top Of The World - not a fan of this song. Nick uses a lot of the same patterns in different keys for alot of songs, which is boring 5/10. 10. Straightjacket Feeling - awesome song 9/10. 11. I'm Waiting - not bad of a song. Sounds like a fill in to me 6.5/10. 12. Can't Take It - very cool song. A good way to finish an album. // 10

Lyrics: Tyson expands his ideas in this album, by not writing about girls every time. Their not bad, but not the highlight of the album. // 8

Overall Impression: A great album. I don't think it lived to the repuatation of the old album, but they produced an awesome album, and should very proud of what they pulled off. // 10

Move Along Reviewed by: critter1388, on september 12, 2005

Sound: I haven't heard all of the band's first album except for singles like "Swing Swing," "The Last Song" and so on. Based on my knowledge of their first album, their sound has changed little if any. Despite this they put out an album with nice sound. Nothing innovative or amazing but it gets the job done. 01. Dirty Little Secret - first single. Nice catchy lyrics. Nothing too original 6/10. 02. Stab My Back - again nothing really amazingly good. Just nice sounding 5/10. 03. Move Along - ok so this is by far my favorite off the album. Title track. I love the lyrics here because they aren't about the traditional theme "I still love you but you broke my heart and you still love me but you dont know it and blahblahblha," it's more happy and positive 11/10. 04. It Ends Tonight - piano intro is a nice change. I like the lyrics in the verses. Other than that its an ok song 7/10. 05. Change Your Mind - this song has by far the most interesting intro on the album to say the least, it reminds me of Pixies and Buttercups (which is a bad thing). Other than that the choruses sound very good 8/10. 06. Night Drive - 2nd favorite. Starts out with clapping and then guitar and everything. I think the whole band sings the main lines in the chorus (or so says the little insert in the CD cover). This song reminds me of a Gangfight, a really white preppy gang fight. I like it though 9/10. 07. 11:11 PM - another really good song. Hard to say why. It's just catchy I guess. One really cheesy annoying thing is right before the chorus there is this little ticking clock sound. It ruins the feel of the song completely. It gets an 8 instead of a 9 for that 8/10. 08. Dance Inside - slow song kindof. I like it now that I'm listening to it 9/10. 09. Top Of The World - it starts out with an acoustic sweep picking (I think that's what it is and how the term is used). The song overall sounds nice but the lyrics make me want to puke. I will rant about that later on. The lyrics completely ruin it for me. Horrible 4/10. 10. Straight Jacket Feeling - slow semi-acoustic song. Sounds kinda like a power ballad. Again nothing groundbreaking but ok overall 7/10. 11. I'm Waiting - this song is probably the least sounding of A-AR on the whole album. The intro and verses have a harsher edgy sound to them. I like it nonetheless 8/10. 12. Can't Take It - this song is the equivalent of "Untitled" by Simple Plan but with strings and less piano. The only band member in this song is tyson singing. It's the shortest, slowest, and most depressing song on the album. Other than that I like it alot however, it ends the album on kindof a dull note like 'is that it?' Overall average sound. Nothing monumental that will change the music world but nice if you like this style of music. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrically the songs have little variety. "Move Along" is the best song lyrically. When I heard the lyrics of "Top Of The World" I laughed my head off. A-AR are trying to be all cool and anti-Bush like Green Day and Sum-41 and everyone else. And their political standpoints are horrible. But altogether the lyrics are very unoriginal and they are all for the most part about broken heartedness and teen angst and that sort of thing. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall this is a very average record. It may do well on MTV and stuff but it doesn't really show any profound talent. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad album it's just not very unique. It's been done before by Blink and all those emo bands plenty of times. However if you are into nice teeniebopper pop stuff then I would highly recommend this. It's very catchy (the lyrics get stuck in my head and I can't fall asleep sometimes). The best songs are "Move Along" and "Night Drive" due to their standout lyrics and sound. "Top Of The World" is a terrible attempt at politics and seems completely out of place on an album full of songs about heart break and the like. The only reason I bought this album in the first place was because it was my birthday and it cost $8 (which is cheap in columbus). If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't buy it again but I would miss listening to "Move Along" on repeat. // 6

Move Along Reviewed by: Jek-El, on july 25, 2005

Sound: The band is the best band I have Heard. Their 2 albums are the only ones I can listen to over and over again with out getting tired or annoyed of it. All listener should buy the album and not download because the album's too great to not be shown in the box office results. The style of it is so diverse. Totally emo! I love it soo much. The music/melodies are all new and doesn't seem like its based by other songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the best emo lyrics I have ever heard. Tyson or the others don't use the same words which make it soo interesting. Each song mostly has a different topic which is very intresting about them. // 10

Overall Impression: Although it is an awesome album it doesn't seem as great as the first one. But in exception it was wonderful ever since the first time I listened to it. Hit songs I'd listen to first would be: Dirty Little Secret, It Ends Tonight, 11:11 PM, Stab My Back and Move Along. I love it! No exception. If I lost it I'd definatly buy it again. // 10

Move Along Reviewed by: guitarista_727, on january 04, 2006

Sound: The first time I heard of All American Rejects is when I listened to their song 'The Last Song. ' That was a really good song, so I expected something of the same or a little higher caliber in their next album. 'Move Along' is a combination of fast and slow paced songs, all seemingly arranged well to even out the mood. It starts out with 'Dirty Little Secret' which has a really catchy intro that gets a lot of people. 'Change Your Mind' has this childish intro that goes straight to rock, with Nick's solo improving the song. 'Top Of The World' has acoustics every now and then which sounds well mixed with the rock influence. The only thing about this though is that they don't have songs as fast as 'The Last Song' in their other album. // 9

Lyrics: The album 'Move Along' has some of the best lyrics I have heard. With 'Dirty Little Secret' starting out the album, which just gets people to start singing the song. 'Move Along' has this inspirational thing going on with the lyrics and it's easy to listen to. The only bad part about this album is Tyson being the background vocalists as well. No wonder it blends that well. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definitely one of the greatest out there. I have a 'cut-off' in CDs, where this song would mean that's the last decent song in the album, and my cut-off for this is Track 12, if you pay close attention. I'm not applying favoritism in any songs, as they are all really good. The only real downsides of this album are Tyson being the only vocalist and no songs as fast as their famous song 'The Last Song'. // 9

Move Along Reviewed by: kfong03, on august 30, 2006

Sound: Nice stuff, most of the songs are quite average, but songs like "Dirty Little Secret", "Stab My Back", "Move Along" and "Night Drive" are really edge-of-the-seat stuff. Dirty Little Secret is by far the best in the whole album and currently my most listened-to song, simply because it's catchy, and sounds good the whole way through. "Move Along" is another great song I love because of the nice tune it had, and the piano in it is so common in other sngs by other bands, but worked well for this song. "Night Drive" again has a good tune, but the real reason I like it is because it had so many differnent sound effects you hear on it, there's clapping, frog-croak kina sounds, etc. On the overall, it's nice creative stuff, but honestly, it's not like anything you haven't heard before, safe for "Dirty Little Secret" abd "Night Drive". // 8

Lyrics: I didn't think much of the lyrics, in fact, I think the All American Rejects don't really write good lyrics, everything is so average, I can bet if you look through other songs you listened to, or other albums by other bands, old and new, you would've heard some lyrics that sound similar to the ones here, if not for the music, I would've regretted buying this album. // 6

Overall Impression: Honestly, you can tell the All-American Rejects has tried to do good, and this album is good, but I won't say great or anything like that, if you haven't got it, just borrow it from a friend or by some other means get hold of "Dirty Little Secret", "Stab My Back", "Move Along" and "Night Drive", it's not a really brilliant buy, and if I were to lose this album, I would buy a new one, because I really like "Dirty Little Secret", "Stab My Back", "Move Along" and "Night Drive." // 8

Move Along Reviewed by: turnfoot, on september 26, 2006

Sound: The band has a very radio-friendly/mainstream sound. I think that they have been classified as pop-punk though. The music in this CD is quite different from their debut album. This is due mostly to the fact that they have experimented with different sounds as well as different instruments. I especially liked the song Night Drive. It reminds me of some gang movie. Like the West Side Story. Another song worth mentioning is Top Of The World, where Nick plays this mexican/spanish type intro. But the most interesting intro by far is the one in Change Your Mind. I'm not quite sure what instrument it is they're using. But it still sounds good though. Reminds me of those "Looney Tune" moments where Bugs Bunny is running sneakily through the forest. Other than the variety in sound, this is still typical AAR. // 10

Lyrics: I don't think that the lyrics are the best part of the CD though. A bad thing about the CD is that they displayed the lyrics in a spread out and unorganized manner in the booklet. So when you're reading the lyrics, you can't know which of the words are in which song. But even if you CAN read the lyrics, most of them doesn't make sense anyway. But even though some of the lyrics fit the song really well, I still think that the music overshadows the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Here are my impressions on the tracks on the album: 01. Dirty Little Secret - I really liked the riffs in this song. I also liked the actual song itself. I'm not quite sure what it's about though. Judging from the title, I'm guessing that it's about keeping someone a dirty little secret. 02. Stab My Back - I'm really not a big fan of this song. The verse is good, but the chorus just sounds weird. 03. Move Along - the title track. Since this is the title track it is 1, if not, the best song in the album. I especially liked the choir at the end of the song. My only problem with this song is that the additional cymbals in the background can get a bit annoying. 04. It Ends Tonight - this is another good song. Starting out with just a piano in the 1st verse & then coming in with heavy guitars on the rest of the song. You can still hear the orchestra though. 05. Change Your Mind - the best intro in the entire album. The actual song is good too. I didn't like it at first but it slowly grew on me. 06. Night Drive - my favourite song in the album. It starts out with the sounds of clapping & stompping feet. Just like I said earlier, it reminds me of those gang movies like West Side Story. I especially liked the riffs here. Very catchy. 07. 11:11 PM - another song that took me a while to get used to. Most of the songs in the album takes a while to get used to. But most of them grow on you overtime. I still don't like the chorus though. But the verses & bridge are still good. 08. Dance Inside - this is a classic example of a song that "grows on you". It gives you that feeling of nostalgia whenever you hear this song. 09. Top Of The World - I loved the spanish/mexican guitar here. This is the only song which AAR tackled the topic of politics in their lyrics. 10. Straightjacket Feeling - I consider this song as the slowest in the album. An orchestra & guitar are the only instruments used in this song. 11. I'm Waiting - this is, in my opinion, the hardest song in the album. Due mostly to the guitar riffs. 12. Can't Take It - now this is the stand out track in the album. A piano & full orchestra backs up Tyson's high pitched singing. This can also be compared to Simple Plan's Untitled. But in my opinion, this is better. Since Untitled was overplayed too much. 13. Night Drive (acoustic) - this suprisingly sounds very different to the original. It starts off with what sounds like traditional african drums. Although it is still a good song, the original sounds better. Even though this is a good sophomore album, their 1st was better. The most impressive songs would have to be Night Drive, Dirty Little Secret, Move Along & Can't Take It. I liked the fact that they experimented with different sounds & instruments in the CD. But my complaint would have to be the arrangement of the lyrics on the booklet. Of course, it looks very fun & original, but it's hard for those who actually want to read the lyrics. As usual, I wouldn't buy any CD twice. Since it is just a waste of money. If it were stolen, I wouldn't blame the guy who stole it since it is a good CD. And I wouldn't care if it got lost since I have it in my computer. But I recommend all new fans of this band to buy their debut album. And if you like what you hear, go ahead & buy this one. // 9

Move Along Reviewed by: Bass Reaper, on october 13, 2006

Sound: All-American Rejects are a fairly new band. They went big in the '00s and are getting bigger every day. One of the many reasons I like thier band is because they have a classic variety of music themes. Take Swing Swing for example; it begins with soft organs in the background. Variety is what makes a good song good. The lead singer isn't so hot of a live singer but the rest of the band is perfect. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are clean but still make you wanna rock out with it. Thier songs are mosly about failed relationships along with some that are funny and make no sence. I think All of their songs each have its own unique tune. This means a lot because most bands have the same stuff every song and don't get any new instruments in. Some bands are good enough to do that but most don't and get very old after the first 5 songs. // 8

Overall Impression: I usually don't compare my bands together but one of the best songs by The Rejects is the last song. It has violins in it and a good guitar part along with it. I think this is thier best song because not only is it the type that you wanna listen to over and over but it is also fairly easy to pick out the indevidual instrument parts instead of the violin, guitar, and bass playing the same thing. That's preety much it. // 7

Move Along Reviewed by: unique-x-life, on may 14, 2007

Sound: The music by All American Rejects is pretty similar to that of Rock/Pop bands that are well known. The music is quite good, the guitar parts anyway. The only problem is sometimes I wonder who the music is aimed at. It's definately not for younger children and not for adults. And teenagers generally like chavvy music or rock. All American Rejects isn't really rock. Well. Not really. Not like Funeral For a Friend or Hatebreed. Anyway, the CD Move Along is named after the most popular song on the album, Move Along. Personally I think that's a way of getting out of naming the CD. I like it when the CD has a mysterious name and then a story attatched to it. Move Along doesn't. It's just a load of songs thrown together with the most popular one being the album's title. And it's not even that popular. I think All American Rejects could have done better in this aspect. The songs are similar in a way, but they don't all sound the same so it's not that bad. The actual album is alright to listen to, but I would prefer something that had a story line attatched to it. It's a good CD though, and some of the songs on it are pretty decent. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't that bad actually. They're a bit weird, and pop like of course but they're not too bad. They fit in with the song nicely and the lead singer (I don't know his name) isn't too bad at singing. It would be nice to have a song that wasn't themed around pop like stuff like girls but I don't think it will happen. They lyrics fit their music style well and their songs well though. // 7

Overall Impression: The problem with this CD, as I've been saying all along, is the fact it's not very creative and has no story line and it's just some random songs thrown together. That's what makes it fall down. A lot. Other CDs, such as Good Charlotte The Chronicles of life and death, have certain story lines to make the CD like a musical in a way, with lyrics that have a point and make sense. In Move Along the songs just jump from one to the next, with no real connection and that's why I don't think it's as good as a lot of CDs I have heard around lately. So that's what I hate about it. As for what I love, well I think the music's ok, but personally I would prefer rock music as that's the greatest! And the lyrics fit in well with the song. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again, just confirming that. I would just go and buy something else. I have all the songs on my computer anyway. // 7

Move Along Reviewed by: I am punk "BF", on october 09, 2007

Sound: The music on this album is great. They do really good indie rock. The guitars sound really great and so do the drums. Chris Gaylor is an awesome drummer. The beginning of "Move Along" is really cool. Tyson Ritter has amazing vocals. They sound great whether it is a slow of fast song. I have listened to these guys live and they are way more talented than any other band I have ever heard live. The song "On Top Of The World" has a really awesome guitar riff at the end. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good and well thought out. All of their songs have different meanings. Move along is really encouraging and "On top of the world is such a true song". It talks about people who are rich and greedy and abuse their powers whether it is government or just people. The song it ends tonight is just an all around great song especially lyric wise. Tyson Ritter has amazing vocals. That is pretty much the only thing better than the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: This album does not really compare to other albums considering that this one is great. The best song on the whole album is definately "Move Along". It has great lyrics, vocals, and guitars. I love how all of the songs sound different from each other. No two songs sound the same. If I ever lost this album I would definately want it replaced. // 9

Move Along Reviewed by: DanceWreck, on january 07, 2008

Sound: You can't hate this CD unless you hate this genre of music, hate good singers (I know people that do), hate any CD without guitar taking 80% of the volume, or you're just one of my friends trying to tick me off. This album's sound is perfect, because it is perfect in the three different ways a CD can sound great. The actual music. The chord progressions are just great, and the riffs and melodies that are in the background aren't always the most present, but they are always very musical and nobody can say that they are boring or not catchy. The reason not as much guitar is so 'high on the mix-board', so to speak, is because Tyson Ritter's really sing, and has a great sounding voice that is pleasant to the ear. That sets them apart already from 95% of rock bands already. Again, the guitars aren't 80% of the music here like in metal or heavy rock, and this turns away and bores a lot of distortion-breathing guitar lords who aren't not always being in the lead, but if you listen to the song a couple of times, the guitar parts are loud enough, and present, and are good! I got the full tablature to this album, and some of the rhythm is pretty dang hard to play! Listen up close on Dance Inside (you might hear me refer to that title again later) and there's a lot of hard rhythm guitar parts, and lead has such melodic, exciting, and soothing solos. Creativity. Wait, somebody seriously sit down and explain to me one thing: I've heard so many reviews and fans saying how their first album is so much better, and that these tracks all sound the same. Or how AAR songs sound like they get boring after the first verse? Well the answer to those people is they're on drugs, they don't really like music, they like pop, or pure bigotry. See, The All American Rejects were awarded a big song-writing award because they just do it great! Just like the Beatles knew how to make things sound good to everybody, AAR picked up the same skill where they left off, but they learned how to really sing, and play guitar, and drums, and well, they just rock! No album has such versatility, in songs, from the best, fun synth sounds in Change Your Mind and tear-inspiring ballad of Can't Take It, to the night rock scene drawn by the sounds of Night Drive, to the ultimate alt-rock slow song, It Ends Tonight, to one of my favorites, fast latin acoustic sound fused with distortion on the song Top Of The World. The drums that start Move Along feel like a whole new genre of music, then chorus throws you back into your favorite style of rock, and your body forces you to sing along, if even in your mind, and still has so much energy to go around. Their first album had some versatility, but not half as much energy or musical taste. Sound Quality. Perfect mix. They took hard rock, and polished the sound quality to an art. I looked it up but forgot whoever recorded and produced this album, but it's just the best. The audio quality and Tyson Ritter's voice together is what made them a 'popular' or 'mainstream' band today. AAR is not a 'pop' band at all. They are a rock band, that have added tastes for keyboards and weird sounds, that actually can sing, and actually let you hear what they are singing, because they aren't screaming curses your mother or darning you to go down to the firey pits of doom. They actually have good playing, so they clean up the sound and let you hear it all. that's what makes this CD sound perfect. // 10

Lyrics: I don't think the words of a song have as much to do with the music, the important part. If it did, we would rather read modern poems then listen to a rock instrumental. The voice? that's different. If I hadn't explained this enough yet, this guy's voice is just great! He can get so high (pitch, you druggies) and still pull it off and sound great doing it. I learned a lot about music over the past year. There's a lot of different ways to categorize good rock bands. One way is the voice. The band's singer doesn't have a very good singing voice, so they sing the music very quietly just scream the words and play the guitars louder and mix it down so it's all about the other instruments. This requires skill for the other players, as the vocal melody isn't important, so the players have to be good, or the band sucks. These kind of bands are usually pretty popular, and very good and stay on my iPod for a long time before it gets boring. The band's singer knows how to sing, but the voice doesn't sound great. They mix the CD right, so you hear the words, then the guitarists, drums, piano, bass all play very well to compensate (but not cover up) for the singer's voice quality so all in all the songs are good songs. These bands are very common, not as popular (like Indie bands), but I always really like them when I first hear them. But the thing is, after a while, I just don't like the sound of the band anymore, and I quit listening to them. This is because after a while, a singer's voice will wear on you if he/she doesn't sound superb. For this reason, many people that like indie bands will like a huge variety of bands, and have to just shuffle through and skip songs a lot, and usually tend to not finish songs all the way. This is because they don't realize it, let alone want to admit it, but the their favorite band's singers are annoying them, so they change it. This third kind of band has a singer that really really can sing, and has a great sounding voice. This voice never wears you out. A song of theirs might be overplayed, but it's not the voice wearing on you. This kind of band has the voice where it should be in the mix (or sadly, the voice is way to present, and it becomes a pop band with drum beats and background riffs like Avril and Kelly Clarkson and all other pop), and the instruments can play well in the background, to back up and compliment the vocal melody of the band, then vocals switch of with instruments for good solos, intro's, and other good interludes in the music. This kind of band doesn't always have their guitars shoved up your nose, but they rock in every aspect. This kind of band is rare, and this kind of band stays together a long time usually, and becomes eventually very popular, and changes music forever. I would say that Paramore, Relient K, All American Rejects, and Fall Out Boy might all end up like this someday. The main reason is because they can sing. As far as the words go, this album is also set apart because most music is either cry-baby, love-slobbering, weird and confusing, rebellious and cursing I won't try to explain this too long, but the lyrics of this album are just great. They are fun, thoughtful, euphonic, and even inspiring (Move Along is great here). I'm not a huge fan of politics in lyrics, but the generalizations slipped in and the not angry-sounding voice in Top of the World covered it up by far. Oh yeah! This whole album is clean! No garbage moms! it's clean stuff. I'm a Christian so I totally appreciate that Overall, these lyrics are a HUGE improvement to rock music. // 10

Overall Impression: I didn't know what really to say here, as I already put way too much in the other two categories, so I'll summarize. All of the songs on this album are exciting, different, cool, fun, well played, and nearly flawless. This is the epitome of modern rock music, and should be the standard for new music. Ok to tell the truth: I haven't listened to rock music for that long. I hadn't listened to any music but like classical music and whatever acoustic popular songs I was starting to learn on guitar 3 years ago. Then one day somebody let me listen to two songs from this album. I thought wow is all music like this? So I totally bought the album and listened to it 1000 times, learned it on guitar, and went on to all kinds of other rock music. I've gone through loving over a hundred bands since then, but after a while I realized the truth about this album. It's not "the absolute best album ever in the whole world time 1000000." But it doesn't get much better than this. // 10

Move Along Reviewed by: Squirrel1993, on january 07, 2008

Sound: This was my first Rejects CD, I just recently borrowed their first. The album was recored quite well. I can't say there is much of a story but more of a personal album, pretty sure that there isn't one song w/o the word "you" in it. It's poppy but not as poppy as their first. The Rejects have also grown up, it's not all about a break up. The band really expanded past their last album and experimented but to tell the truth I like their first album more, it's just more catchy and better in my opinion. There is some folk, rock and a little latino music in it or well for an intro anways but yah. It also sounds like they had more money to record this album, there is a huge change in sound quality. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics once again, it's pretty personal, a lot of "you"'s. The lyrics are nice to listen to then the ususal rage punk music that I listen to. The lyrics fit nicely I guess. Tyson is a good singer kinda of he can't sing as well live, but his voice gets annoying after awhile. // 7

Overall Impression: I think their first album was a lot better. But Move Along was a bit more of an experimental album because I think they didn't want to be known just as some pop band. I guess I gotta love the experimentation and not just the same sound over and over again, but I have to say they should have chosen better songs to put on the album. if it were lost or stolen, I'd want another one, I can't say I love the album, but I don't hate it. // 8

More All-american Rejects reviews rating latest review