Awaken The Dreamers Review

all shall perish: Awaken The Dreamers
Released: September 5, 2008
Genre: Deathcore
Label: Nuclear Blast
Awaken the Dreamers is the upcoming third album by American deathcore band All Shall Perish.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.6
 7.6
 9.6
Awaken The Dreamers Reviewed by: dmc_74_usa, on october 01, 2008

Sound: This record absolutely blows me away. The musicianship and maturity on this record is unreal. They took "deathcore" a step forward. Not changing who they are, they kept with the same brutal blast beats, breakdowns, and brutal vocals, but added so much more as well. The melodies on this record are beautiful. The guitar work is mind blowing. Some of the craziest stuff I've heard in a while. And how about singing parts?? This is all-in-all a great metal record. // 9

Lyrics: All Shall Perish has always had good lyrics. They stray away from basic tough guy lyrics. Most of the lyrics have some political meaning, or deep personal meaning. This records seems to be no exception to that. Vocally, the only real change from The Price of Existence is the added singing parts. They're very good. Kind of reminds me of Opeth to a degree. There's not a whole lot of singing, but it's right where it needs to be. Very well done on it. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is one of the best records to come out this year. A lot of bands this year seem to be taking steps backwards with their music, changing their sound completely, or putting out practically the same record. All Shall Perish definitely took a huge step forward in my eyes. This should bring them closer to front of the metal scene. My favorite song on the record is the title track, Awaken The Dreamers. There is so much in this song. Brutality, melody, singing, guitar solos, gnarly bass runs and great drumming, as always. The complete package in a song. Great record. // 10

Awaken The Dreamers Reviewed by: HWFG1, on december 02, 2008

Sound: All Shall Perish's 2008 release, Awaken the Dreamers, certainly shows anyone who says that deathcore bands aren't diverse that they were wrong. The first track, "When Life Went More", kicks the listener in the face, with breakdowns, swept guitar solos, and Hermida's ass-kicking vocals. The second track, "Black Gold Reign" has a small clean section in it, which continues for the last third or so of the song (albeit with the addition of distorted guitars), and "Never... Again", is filled with swept riffs over breakdowns. "The Ones We Left Behind" is the first sign of a real change of sound within the band, featuring Rusty Cooley on guitar. It's a mellowed out interlude of sorts, just over a minute long, and it leads perfectly into "Awaken the Dreamers", which will make even the most expert guitarists question their abilities as a guitarist. "Memories of a Glass Sanctuary" is a return to the new sound mentioned earlier, and features Hermida singing, as well as mellowed out guitar, bass, and drums. "Gagged, Bound, Shelved, and Forgotten" and "Until the End" are some of the slower heavy tracks on the album, as is "From So Far Away". "Misery's Introduction" is a nice, instrumental track that leads into the album closer "Songs for the Damned". // 9

Lyrics: All Shall Perish have never been one to write lyrics characteristic of the genre, and they certainly didn't this time, writing lyrics dealing with politics, among other things. Eddie Hermida showcased not only his screams, but his singing abilities on this album, and both made the album better. // 10

Overall Impression: Awaken the Dreamers may be one of the best metal releases this year, and is certainly not a low point for All Shall Perish. It's got fast, heavy songs with insane guitar, and slow, mellow songs with clean vocals. It's definitely worth your time, and, I think it's the best album they've put out. // 10

Awaken The Dreamers Reviewed by: Magero, on november 18, 2008

Sound: I'd like to start out by saying that I'm a huge All Shall Perish fan. I consider "The Price of Existence" a damn-near masterpiece. That being said, I had huge hopes for this album, and all of them were summarily dashed. This album is nothing that TPOE was. Sure, the heaviness is there and sure, they've bumped up the "shred" factor. But in the end, all it results in is a lifeless, boring shred fest over breakdowns. The band has progressed technically, but sacrificed all semblance of song writing. To break it down? There are 12 tracks on this album. 4 of which are interludes, another 4 consist of nothing but breakdown beats with varying solos and "melodic" sections over the top, while never rising above 70bpm (literally) and the other 4 are made up of 2 riffs and then breakdowns with sweeps over them. This is not a "masterpiece of complex technical metal that will revolutionise the industry". This is a boring, uninspired, stock, generic waste of time. I'm so sad to see one of my favourite bands go downhill so far. Sure Chris Storey can shred, but who cares if there's no songs to back it up. // 2

Lyrics: Eddie's vocals are the only real continuing quality from the last album, expanding on his already formidable vocal talents with some cleans and even a power metal-usque scream in "Black Gold Reign". His lyrics remain interesting. Not great, but above average. During "Songs for the Damned" however, he slips in a few classic phrases that any metal head will get a chuckle at. Including; "Our... black metal hearts drown in black water parks/Damnation... delivered us back to the start/Are my arms your hearse if these metaphors stop?" Subtle. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to ASP's other albums, this is a step back on so many levels. The passion is gone and the music is dull. I saw this for sale in my local CD store, and I picked it up, stared at it for a few minutes, sighed, shook my head and put it back on the shelf. It's not worth the money. Save your cash and go get "The Price of Existence", you won't regret it. // 2

More All Shall Perish reviews rating latest review