...For We Are Many Review

all that remains: ...For We Are Many
Released: Oct 12, 2010
Genre: Metalcore
Label: Prosthetic, Razor & Tie
All That Remains doesn't venture from the standard metalcore formula on its fifth album, but guitarist Oli Herbert injects new life with consistently fresh solos.
 8.2
 8.4
...For We Are Many Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 20, 2010

Sound: With its fifth studio album, We Are Many, All That Remains once again excel at dishing out metalcore goodness, but it's the moments that the arrangements take unexpected turns (ones that don't necessarily bear any semblance to metalcore) that the record becomes the most intriguing. At the heart of it all is the nimble, beautiful execution of lead guitarist Oli Herbert, who steals the show every single time he lays down a solo. We Are Man thrives on its energy and rhythmic power, but there are moments when you crave a little something more than the typical death/growl vocals and chugging guitars. There are certainly no complaints on the production as a whole, and credit should be given to producer Adam Dutkiewicz (better known as the guitarist for Killswitch Engage), who has crafted a sonically tight record all in all. The opener Now Let Them Tremble is short and sweet, taking the form of a brief interlude more than anything. Although there are death vocals included, the 1:19 song is meant more of a dramatic buildup of sorts with vibrant double bass pedal and driving lead guitar harmonies. The song transitions quickly and abruptly into the title track, which is one of the most aggressive numbers of the 12 selections. The arrangement features some cool use of vocal layering, the always-reliable rhythmic chugging, and one of Herbert's many amazing solos. While breakdowns aren't necessarily a staple of every track, Some of the People, All of the Time is a standout in this area. You almost wish All That Remains might take a few moments to not necessarily regurgitate breakdown after breakdown, but to stray from the usual verse-chorus-verse layout that relies on a heavy helping of double bass pedal and the growl-to-clean vocal structure. That doesn't mean use a breakdown in every song, but it worked effectively in Some of the People, All of the Time. There are more than a few highlights, particularly in Dead Wrong, which morphs into a slow, grooving Pantera vibe when the chorus arrives. The band not might not appreciate losing its identity with this comparison, but honestly the Dimebag-tinged chorus worked well for the song. Won't Go Quietly has crossover appeal due to its emphasis on a particularly strong melody, while The Waiting One features an acoustic beginning and a more hushed vocal approach that makes for a much-needed change of pace. While it's understandable that a metalcore band doesn't want to lose momentum with an album saturated with mellow ballads, The Waiting One is a standout because of its core songwriting more than anything. // 7

Lyrics: While there is an aggressive aspect to most of the musical content, the lyrics often dive into more vulnerable territory. From the reflective nature of From The Outside (Opened eyes see reality; Trying all the while to knock me down this tragedy; And the days turn to memories; How could this be that I feel nothing) to the even deeper Aggressive Opposition (Our dreams are what we are inside; And when we close our eyes; We see our future), the themes are surprisingly more about self examination than the typical anger you might expect. // 8

Overall Impression: We Are Many won't surprise listeners on many levels, but it also won't disappoint its past fans either. Chugging guitars, double bass pedal, and the growl/clean vocal combo are the name of the game on the album, so if you enjoy that standard metalcore arrangement then you will find the 12 tracks satisfying. Through it all it's Oli Herbert's lead work that makes the biggest impression, and All That Remains shouldn't hesitate in giving the talented musician even more time in the spotlight. // 8

...For We Are Many Reviewed by: Snowman388, on october 20, 2010

Sound: All That Remains is back, after their very own St. Anger, "Overcome". Sure, it wasn't as bad as St. Anger, but it was still pretty bad. With "For We Are Many", they're back with their very own Death Magnetic, but it's much better. Fans of ATR were not happy with their last album, as they went soft and they did not do it an a good manner, the music was bland and generic. ATR knows this, and made sure that they would make sure fans knew what their new album was aimed at. The opening track, "Now Let Them Tremble", is just a real blast in your face. It's heavy, and a minute and half long. It's pretty much a breakdown, at the beginning of the album. But it's pretty interesting and well done with clever use of layered guitars. If you don't like metalcore, steer clear of this album. It's metalcore through and through. From breakdowns, screaming/clean vocal choruses and more breakdowns this is a metalcore album. They were very wary of not making a repeat of "Overcome". Yet, they still have their moments very reminiscent of their previous album. And let me tell you, they are the worst parts of the album. Luckily, out of the 12 songs only 2 of them are like this, them being "The Last Time" and "Hold On". They have only clean singing, which is subpar and boring music. Just don't listen to these tracks. "For We Are Many" has very good sequencing, with good pacing and arrangement. The first two tracks are heavy and remove any doubts of an "Overcome" repeat. Then it goes softer with "The Last Time", where it stumbles, but then picks up for the next 6 songs. Once again, it stumbles at "Hold On". The next track, "Keepers of Fellow Man" is a standard All That Remains song, but it's the closing track that earned a lot of respect for me. "The Waiting One" starts with an acoustic piece and clean vocals, but has a great transition to the heavy goodness we all love. It's the longest track on the album, and is by far the most adventurous track, but not the best. The 6 tracks in between "The Last Time" and "Hold On" have a very similar sound. It's not so that they sound generic or boring, and each song has it's own distinguishing feature. For instance, "Won't Go Quietly" has a really interesting and unique Wah guitar solo, "From The Outside" has really great usage of the double bass drum (rather than the usual fast paced drumming) and "Aggressive Opposition" has a really heavy and effective breakdown/bridge. This section is the body of the album and gives it's backbone and foundation. "Dead Wrong" is by far my favorite track. Phillip Labonte (the singer) does a great job on this track, with low growls to high black-metal shrieks. He also has his clean-ish vocals, but they sound much better on this track. The guitar work has a very creepy, eery feel to it at times. And the percussion is phenomenal on this track, I can't explain why but it just does something for me. // 9

Lyrics: Phillip Labonte has a very unique voice. His screaming is instantly recognizable and his "clean" vocals has a gruffness to it that adds character. However, when that gruffness isn't there he sounds horrible, as shown on "The Last Time". The lyrics are good in the good tracks, but can falter at times. The lyrics to "The Last Time" are incredibly generic and cheesy, and they made me cringe. However, this is the exception rather than the rule, and they lyrics and singing are generally pretty good. // 7

Overall Impression: All That Remains really step it up a notch with "For We Are Many", and thankfully go back to old All That Remains. They still have elements of their more mainstream sound, but it's only occasionally and can be ignored for the most part. I'd say this album is definitely worth picking up if you like metalcore. // 9

...For We Are Many Reviewed by: Snuffles, on october 20, 2010

Sound: All That Remains is back with another album, following up Overcome. My first impression on this album started with the song Now Let Them Tremble, it is a minute and 23 seconds long and is just about all guitar riffs, and it leads directly into the second song, For We Are Many. Their style is generally the same as Overcome, but just very slightly lighter, most noticeable in the drums as they are not as powerful as previous albums. Although I enjoy the album some people may disagree due to the very slight change of heaviness. Oh, and they're single Hold On, is arguably the best song on the album. As usual, excellent guitar riffs and a variance between songs as song are pretty light like The Last Time, while some include heavy lyrics like Some Of The People, All Of The Time. The song Wont Go Quietly has an odd guitar solo towards the end considering their style of music, but the song itself is good. All That Remains has still got it. // 9

Lyrics: Not a lot to say about the lyrics, they are pretty solid and sung with the same intensity as other albums. Its great to hear Phil Labontes slightly raspy voice, very unique and defiantly worth hearing. Heavy verses with melodic chorus`s make All That Remains the metalcore band that it is. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression is good, I enjoyed most songs on the album except they did change a little bit as in the lighter drums and more growling and also an odd guitar solo (considering their genre I mean). But all in all it is an excellent album and defiantly worth the buy but in my opinion, it is not as good as Overcome as Overcome was consistently good for every song while For We Are Many deviates slightly from song to song, sometimes its a heavy song and sometimes is a bit lighter. It was released today (October 12th, 2010 North America). I gave it an overall rating as a 9 which might be a bit high, but its all about personal preference. If you are debating on whether or not you should buy it, go listen to any of their more recent albums and if you like that, you will like For We Are Many. // 9

...For We Are Many Reviewed by: Baker9490, on october 20, 2010

Sound: The news of All That Remain's newest effort, "...For We Are Many" was practically invisible to me. I was at Best Buy, and just noticed it out of nowhere! I figured to myself, "Their previous release, 'Overcome', was a little less than stellar. Oh well, I'll play the lottery on this one." And for sure, the album was worth the money. With chugging palm mute riffs soaring over my headphones, and Phil Labonte's vocals taking a similar growl and scream not really heard since "The Fall of Ideals", the album takes upon itself as All That Remain's official "sorry" record. // 9

Lyrics: Phil Labonte's singing has always stood out compared to other metal-core groups immensely. Often being compare to Matt Heafy of Trivium, and Howard Jones of KSE, Phil Labonte proves to everyone that he isn't a copycat of the latter. The lyrics, to me, sound a little more redundant from what he's sang beofre. Sure, the subjects are different on this album, but when I listen to music, I like change. And change is something that just isn't on this CD. // 7

Overall Impression: The most well constructed track, "For We Are Many" is a little bit too much like the song structure on "The Fall of Ideals". Sadly, it's safe to say that about half of the album suffers from this, also. Despite a repitition of song structure and sounds, the album itself seems as if it were a near-perfect hybrid of their two previous releases. // 8

...For We Are Many Reviewed by: Kwyjibo2006, on october 19, 2010

Sound: Four years after the simply astounding "Fall of Ideals", Massachusetts quintet All That Remains are back with their fifth studio outing: "For We Are Many". The band seems to have regained some of the fire missing from their slightly overproduced, previous effort "Overcome". The ear-splitting riffs and soaring choruses are back, along with producer (and Killswitch Engage guitarist) Adam Dutkiewicz's crisp production, proving that All That Remains are still capable of making a solid metal album. The album opens with intro "Now Let Them Tremble", a ferocious track that seems poised to become the band's concert opener for many years to come. There's no letting up before the band slams into the album's title track. Triplets fill the speakers before the chorus, where you can't head but bang your head as Phil Labonte screams "Defy!: a great start to the album. After the surprising death metal ending of "Some of the People, All of the Time" and the talk-box outro solo of "Won't Go Quietly", the band launches into "Dead Wrong", probably the most aggressive song on the album. It is one of the few tracks to feature almost no singing, sticking to guttural growls the whole way through. A true heavy song, it's a refreshing break from the melodies scattered throughout the album. Next up is lead single "Hold On". Easily one of the most melodic songs on the album, almost the whole song is sung, and while it may be the band's most accessible song to date, the fantastic solo makes this another highlight. The album ends with the biggest departure, "The Waiting One". That's right, those are acoustic guitars you're hearing. The song switches between quiet acoustics to loud, distorted guitars for the choruses. This song is likely to be the album's main point of discussion (whether good or bad), but it does close this passionate and aggressive album pretty nicely. // 8

Lyrics: For We Are Many doesn't venture off where its predecessors haven't gone before. On the album, the vocals blend the screams of The Fall of Ideals with the singing (although it doesn't sound nearly as digital this time around) found on Overcome. Whether or not you're a fan of the vocal direction the band have taken, there's no denying here that Phil Labonte can't sing, with his piercing screams and soft vocals scattered pretty much everywhere on the album. While both styles are mixed throughout, check out Now Let Them Tremble, For We Are Many and Some of the People, All of the Time if you're a fan of the heavier stuff. If you want the softer side, then Hold On and The Waiting One are the way to go. // 8

Overall Impression: A word to the wise: For We Are Many is not a return to the glory days of All That Remains. It's simply a solid metal album, which will please both the band and their ever-growing fanbase. On this album, the band wanted to return to some of the aggression that made them so popular just 4 years ago, and in that respect they didn't completely succeed. While still showing that they are capable of writing some great melodies and catchy choruses, the band have not really ventured anywhere they haven't gone before. After 10 years and five albums, this will please quite a few, but will also leave a lot of people wondering if a step backward isn't always the best step forward. // 7

...For We Are Many Reviewed by: Gary.Blizzard, on october 20, 2010

Sound: As most bands progress and mature, over the years their sound will change. With the latest All That Remains release, For We Are Many is a continuation of the sounds they have been forging since The Fall of Ideals and more similarly - Overcome. For We Are Many is most likely an album that will cause many people to complain about the once death metal band going for a softer metalcore route. For someone who enjoyed Overcome extensively, For We Are Many was a pleasant listen. Instead of packing every song with hardened guitars, growling vocals and deafening drums, the band has again incorporated softer and more melodic work into their songs. Don't get me wrong though, they haven't completely relinquished the heaviness that the fans enjoy. Labonte continues to employ deathly deep growling, vibrant singing, and the standard metalcore screams. Herbert and Martin also continue with the signiture All That Remains guitar sound, packing it with harmonies, vibrant solos, and the all too familiar palm-muted breakdown style rythym that follows the bass kick. // 8

Lyrics: For We Are Many contains twelve new tracks. 01. "Now Let Them Tremble" [Intro] 02. "For We Are Many" 03. "The Last Time" 04. "Some of the People, All of the Time" 05. "Won't Go Quietly" 06. "Aggressive Opposition" 07. "From the Outside" 08. "Dead Wrong" 09. "Faithless" 10. "Hold On" 11. "Keepers of Fellow Man" 12. "The Waiting One" The lyrics and singing style follow the same pattern previous albums have - as said before, most similarly to Overcome. For a personal opinion on lyrical content it's of course best to interpret them for yourself. A personal favorite is actually a single released from the album "Hold On" which has a chorus that found it's way and got stuck in my head for a while. "Some Of The People, All of The Time" is another catchy lyrical track. Labonte, again, combines multiple vocal tracks at once to portray a lot of the lyrical parts, having singing over screaming and vice-versa. He also has deep growling parts like before, and has continued to combine varied vocals to complete the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: For We Are Many was, in my opinion, a good album. I know already it's going to receive criticism about being softer, or even just that it sucks because it's metalcore but there are those who would absolutely love it. Again, I find it very similar to their last album Overcome, and am happy they kept with the sound they had there. My favorite thing about the album is what I've always liked about All That Remains - the vocals and guitar work. I love the incorporated vocals that always seem to fit the guitar perfectly. It's a great quality release, suggested for any metalcore fan and of course, any All That Remains fan. // 9

...For We Are Many Reviewed by: PancakeLad001, on october 20, 2010

Sound: This whole album reverts back to some of the older sounds of their previous albums. It's much darker like The Fall of Ideals and also light like Overcome. There are some definite similarities in the sounding of some songs, such as Forever In Your Hands and The Last Time. There are a few new sounds from Philip Labonte but that's about all. The solos are very well composed, as well as the one on The Last Time and Won't Go Quietly. They used a crazy effect on a solo that made it sound similar to a Wah pedal, but a little more extreme. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very similar to older songs, not much deviation. Philip Labonte has put a couple more tricks in his hat, such as harder death growling, more purging screams, and surprisingly better clean singing. They fit very well with the music and go hand in hand with the tempo they have set for each of the songs. Overall the lyrics were fairly good. // 9

Overall Impression: There are some definite singles on this album: The Last Time, Hold On, and Some of the People, All of the Time. They just have that hit feeling. The album is like a mix of their previous two albums, with accurately executed solos, a nice beat, and decent singing and lyrics. // 9

...For We Are Many Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2011

Sound: Wow. ATR! I really must say this for anyone out there that is not an audio engineer. Now a band is going to release something they can play on stage, plain and simple, with the way the music industry is... I buy cds or albums to give the band credit, I personally like the production of ATR from "...Silence And Solitude", now fill in the choruses with harmonic singing? "What?... Some of the people all of the time?" It makes me sick people that talk out of God only knows what! ATR KEEP IT UP VERMONT LOVES YOU! - "the guy that almost made it up to see you just to get a band pic!" @ Higherground. // 8

Lyrics: Again... "Dead Wrong", "amazing" I am very bad with track listings but maybe #8 You all gotta come together and get a feel good rush when phil breaks into an eighties style hairband feel... Phil everyones dead wrong about you... You can sing and people hate that because they cannot do what you do. As for the band mates keep metal pumping through your veins! // 8

Overall Impression: Applauding... Way to reach new heights with a great blend. Mho, youve finally reached radio play throughout the countrys, funny how they have darker tones to them hold on, and song #3, don't follow the trend! Because now if you build it they will come! Take that personally. Ps, Great show at Higherground. I wish you guys would throw tattered on my sleeve, focus shall not fail in your line up 6 (2 from "This Darkened Heart", 2 from "Fall Of Ideals", 2 from "Overcome" and 4 from "...For We Are Many" to shut these pple up! I just seen you guys live and you blew Hollywood undead away. // 10

...For We Are Many Reviewed by: the1acousticguy, on october 11, 2012

Sound: The intro, "Now Let Them Tremble" is a masterpiece of musical art which leads into "...For We Are Many" is probably one of the best intro/leading songs I've ever heard. It has the classic hardcore/metal sound with a little something different in the mix. By a little different I mean, it's a little more melodic (For all you younger males). If you wish you had a brother, let your little sister listen to this album. She'll probably grow some chest hair and a penis and kick your a-s. This album is that manly. So get to the gym younuns. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals flow with the music better in this album more than the others. There is a great blend between singing and screaming. The lyrics really speak to the audience compared to the other albums. I don't know what Philip Labonte has done with his voice but it has improved dramatically. // 9

Overall Impression: If you like the other All That Remains albums, expect to have your mind blown. ...For We Are Many is a solid album that will leave you in a trance until the final drumbeat. My top three songs on the album: "The Waiting One", "Now Let Them Tremble/For We Are Many" and "Hold On". The only part of the album I do not like is the fact that you can't fit 30 tracks on a CD. // 9

More All That Remains reviews rating latest review