Behind Silence And Solitude Review

all that remains: Behind Silence And Solitude
Release Date: Mar 26, 2002
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
On this album the band uses many different kind of "melodic" elements in it, such as combination of melody progression and dual harmonies.
 7.2
 6.4
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Behind Silence And Solitude Reviewed by: GothenburgFire, on august 06, 2008

Sound: This is pure melodic death metal, there's no metalcore crap combine with it. This is more of an tight heart pounding sounding. In this album the band uses many different kind of "melodic" elements in it, such as combination of melody progression and dual harmonies. I can hear different type of melodic death metal usage, for example the pure melody of old-school In Flames and Dark Tranquility, the lightning speed of the titans Arch Enemy and Soilwork, and the heavy rage of the legendary Carcass and At The Gates. You will notice pretty much all melodic death metal band uses Iron Maiden style guitar harmonies, and the band do that as well, also you'll hear some technical feel to it. This album conveys the melodic death metal feel to their sounding. I'm mean both melodic death metal and metalcore stuff get's tiring and boring sometimes because it usually sounds the same and it's a lack of originality. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics is typical in this genre, basically it talks about different kind of struggles, but mostly it talks about personal struggles. Also the band talks about personal relationships as well. Phil's vocal in this album is way more harsh than clean. The vocal is traditionally screamed, growled, and shouted in this album, which is often heard in melodic death metal genre. I will tell you again, the vocal kind of gets tiring, because sometimes it wouldn't start of or end it strong in certain parts of songs. The funny thing is, Phil's vocal in this album reminds me of Max Cavarela because the way how the vocal sounds. // 8

Overall Impression: I like how the album is not mixed in with metalcore in anways and how it's pure melodic death metal, the only thing that disappointed some of the tempo some of the songs bored me, like I said before about starting off the song strong and ending the song strong. This I have to say is All That Remains most outstanding ever released. I think the album This Darkened Heart and The Fall of Ideals bored the heck out of me, those albums lean more on the metalcore side and plus when they try making something heavy, it sounds too The Black Dahlia Murder-ish. All That Remains are one of the few bands that can play melodic death metal really well in North America along with bands like Serberus and Thine Eyes Bleed. Usually Canadians are good at making melodic death metal, bands like Excurses and Beyond Within were successful of playing that genre. If this album gets stolen or lost, it wouldn't be that big of deal for me, I can easily download and find the songs from the album. // 8

More All That Remains reviews rating latest review