Overcome Review

all that remains: Overcome
Released: Sep 16, 2008
Genre: Metalcore
Label: Prosthetic Records
The melodic side of All That Remains is emphasized on the band's 4th release on Prosthetic Records, Overcome.
 Lyrics: 8.1
 8.3
 8.3
 8.2
Overcome Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 18, 2008

Sound: For All That Remains, having Killswitch Engage guitarist Adam Dutkiewicz as a producer always weighed heavily in their favor. When you added in another ingredient -- namely having a song included in Guitar Hero II -- that sweetened the pot and it showed up in terms of record sales (the last album The Fall Of Ideals has sold more than 175, 000 copies). For the latest album Overcome, the band opted to go with producer Jason Suecof at the helm and time will tell if it's a smart move. In the grand scheme of things, the biggest change comes in the fact there is a definite emphasis on the melodic vocal area. There have been interviews where vocalist Philip Labonte has mentioned that Overcome is a heavier offering from All That Remains. You do get a good dose of the band's aggressive side, but there seems to actually be a pretty good balance in heaviness and melody. The opening track Before The Damned is one of the best on the CD, and it's a pretty good template for the entire record. You get amazing double bass pedal, sweeping guitar sections, and the back-and-forth growls and singing. Melodically it's one of the most memorable and was a wise starter for the album. Labonte does give a good deal of time to his traditional singing on the album, which may be the influence of Suecof, who also worked with Trivium. That may be the case, but there are still plenty of the death vocals within the album. A prime example is Relinquish, a short and sweet track that explodes from the get-go. The death vocals own this song and no singing is necessarily needed. The energy is nonstop and it delivers everything you want in an aggressive song: lots of distortion in the chorus, double bass pedal, pinch harmonics, and a killer solo. While many of the tracks do have a similar feel, there are a couple that stand out for going to the next level. One is Chiron, which is an all-around cool song that is aided by classical acoustic work at the halfway mark. There is also a change in the energy with the closing track Believe In Nothing, a cover of the 2000 Nevermore ballad. Not a lot has changed in terms of the interpretation, but it makes for a nice contrast on Overcome. // 8

Lyrics: Introspection is key on Overcome, and most of the tracks do basically reflect upon anger, fear, regret, etc. It's a solid collection of lyrics, although only a few jump off the page. The opening track Before The Damned takes more of a third person approach and there's more of an over-the-top feel that works for a dramatic introduction. Labonte sings, Fallen feed on fallen now; Let the wretched have their fill; Feast not with the beast of old; Taste the fruit of I'll will. Most of the lyrics usually stick with topics that are more personal and familiar, so having a song like Before The Damned is actually refreshing. // 7

Overall Impression: If you're expecting a much heavier sound than what we've heard from All That Remains in the past, you won't necessarily get it. However, that doesn't mean the quality isn't there. Undone features an incredible intro and solo scale work, while A Song For The Hopeless includes a very impressive harmonized guitar section at the end. About half of the songs do stick to the same basic formula, but they still end up being very listenable thanks to the reliable guitar team of Mike Martin and Oli Herbert. // 8

Overcome Reviewed by: Pete.g, on september 18, 2008

Sound: Ok so I've been waiting for this album for almost a year, waiting for some sort of sign of new material since the announcement of this album came about. Now that I have it let me tell you this album is not at all disapointing whether your an ATR fan or not. The album starts with a barrage of thrashing guitars and drums that pale in comparison to the last three albums thanks to the addition of Jason Costa. The vocals have a feel of ease at the same time as being the blood curdling screams that we're used to as Phil Labonte. the solo's are all short but sweet and well shared between oli herbert and mike martin, and fluently accented by flawless jeanne sagann's bass work. The first half of the album comes to a close with a break in the thrashing with "A Song for the Hopeless" leading in with acoustic guitar and clean vocals, and then barraging back in for about 45 seconds until the first second solo before the second verse then the thrashing begins again in this truly unique halfway point in the album. I am listeneing to it right now and I still can't believe how organized yet amazing this album is, a full 39 minutes of utter east coast talent! // 10

Lyrics: What makes this album different is the use of clean and screaming at the same time in many spots on this album. The clean vocals in chiron are done in such a way that phil labonte makes it sound like he's using both spectrum's of his voice at the same time, which is brilliant and adds life to the songs. bu don't take what you've just read wrong, the Blood curdling screams still happen by themselves, "relinquished" puts you in a place as "become the catalyst" did for fall of ideals. Phil's vocals sound well thought over and placed on this album, a step in the right direction if you ask me. But What specifically sets this vocalist away from others of his genre is the fact that whatever type of vocal he submit's you can always hear virtually every word he says which makes listening to this music more like a AH HA! than a HUH? // 10

Overall Impression: Now the last thing I want to point out is the reason why I've been waiting for this album since the Track list was released. The Cover Of Nevermore's Believe In Nothing. My favorite nevermore song os displayed in a perfection nevermore should be proud of. The song isnt cut up and no parts are skipped, both solo's are in tact and for not using seven strings this band does it and does it well with the best in their abilities and an amazing respect for a legendary metal pioneering band. This album is a lot more organized as I said before. A bit more than "fall of ideals", a lot more than "this darkened heart" and well you know where I'm goin with that. The band picked two really amazing songs for their first two singles: Chiron is amazing with it's brutal feel combined with it's driving force and two weeks is a song that you can't keep still to thanks to perfected combination of drums and guitars complimenting each other. I love this band and everything about this album. Buy this album at all cost! // 10

Overcome Reviewed by: mr. riff, on september 18, 2008

Sound: I'll get right to the point. This album sounds much like their last effort, The Fall of Ideals. There is much crazy guitar riffs and fast, pounding drums to be heard on Overcome. The guitars sound tighter and slightly more technical and the drums are still fast and in your face. There's even the occasional acoustic guitar interlude (Chiron). This time around, though, some of the guitar melodies don't seem as memorable as the ones from the last album. The only important thing ATL skimped on as far as the sound is concerned is the bass. Jeanne's bass lines were almost unheard in TFoI and it's the same case with this album. Overall, Perhaps it's because the dynamics of the band's sound and song structure haven't changed much that Jeanne's bass doesn't shine through. I'd say their sound hasn't changed significantly from the last album. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album doesn't try very hard. It's the same old themes that is so common in metalcore: struggles, pain, etc. But with the cliche album title "Overcome" what would you expect? The singing isn't too original either. It's your standard screaming verses and melodic choruses. This time however it sounds like they took this formula to extremes. Vocally, the verses are heavier and the choruses are more melodic than ever. A couple songs break the formula by using clean vocals for the whole song or the majority of it (Two Weeks, Believe in Nothing) but the album as a whole still relies on that formula. My biggest gripe with the singing is that it is over-produced. Most of the songs are so layered with vocals it makes Phil sound so fake, which is a shame because their past efforts really show off how great and talented he really is. // 5

Overall Impression: Overcome is a decent album and is bound to satisfy most of those who fell in love with TFoI, but some may be left disgruntled by the fact that ATR haven't progressed their sound very much, if at all. I would go as far as to say this album is essentially TFoI part 2. Best songs on the album? I struggled with that question when I first listened to TFoI because almost every songs was memorable but now I struggle finding my favorite songs on this album, but for the opposite reason. As melodic and heavy as Overcome is, it doesn't have the memorable moments that their other albums did. Overall Overcome relies on the same bag of tricks that are so common in metalcore. It's not bad, but not great either. // 7

Overcome Reviewed by: Cyanide86, on september 19, 2008

Sound: Even though I'm not a big ATR fan, their new album 'Overcome' has really surprised me in positive way, it has more melody than previous material, more singing and (little) less more screaming, fast riffs (as always), melodic and short solos, and (again, as always) death metal influenced drums. Great songs like 'Chiron', 'Overcome', 'Undone'. One thing I don't like about All That Remains and this new album is similarity.Concept of every song (and whole album) is the same, opening - verse - melodic chorus - (one more time everything) - solo - chours. In just every song! Although with different riffs and melodies it still sound sometimes boring. The other thing which also isn't good is unevenness (at times), parts of screaming (or verses) and melodic choruses, because at some point Philip Labonte screaming as hard as possible and second later it goes, well, I cannot say too melodic chours, but chours which just isn't right for the song or doesn't sound good in that context. 01. Before the Damned 02. Two Weeks 03. Undone 04. Forever in Your Hands 05. Chiron 06. Days Without 07. A Song for the Hopeless 08. Do Not Obey 09. Relinquish 10. Overcome 11. Believe in Nothing (Nevermore cover) // 7

Lyrics: Most lyrics are very good, especially parts about inner strength, pride, self-determination, and how people should be looking things in positive way.The rest is mostly about struggling with bad things in life.Phil is singing a bit more than usual (which may be little disappointing for 'hardcore' ATR fans), but still this is good change, which makes this album better. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the best All That Remains album so far. As I said before, this album has some great parts, like 'Chiron', 'Overcome', 'Undone', and it's better than most of 'current - temporary - metalcore bands'. But despite of all that 'Overcome' is just another average metal album. // 6

Overcome Reviewed by: firelord251, on june 10, 2009

Sound: This album really has helped All That Remains become even more increasingly popular in the main stream following the band's previous album "The Fall Of Ideals". For metal bands like this it is indeed an achievment for them to come out onto the mainstream as quickly as they have been able to. With their incredibly rare sound though it is only appropriate that this band and this new album "Overcome", which is coming to show the new side of the band's metallic/hard rock sound, be placed with higher then normal ratings. // 9

Lyrics: The clean cut metallic sound from the lead singer is indeed a rare find in metal bands witch makes them a well to be worshiped band when it comes to vocals. Also the vocals go incredibly well with the musics hard thrasing sound which is to say that this metal band actually comes to state a sense of purpose on like some of the random nonsense you usually find in metal today. Even when the lyrics are not always as strong in some places in the album, its meaning and power are saved by the incredible vocalization of the bands lead singer, which again is often mistaken as being very under-rated for the extreme talent that he truely consumes. // 7

Overall Impression: It is a new age and a new band for what will probably become a historic start for the next generation of metal/hard rock culture. With the addition of this album, All That Remains is continuing to do what they do best: Rock! Which makes this an album definentely worth buying and adding to any true rocker's collection. // 8

Overcome Reviewed by: ljhrocks, on july 08, 2009

Sound: To start off with I just want to say that All That Remains HAVE NOT sold out to mainstream there is still way too much screaming for that. All That Remains are clearly all very talented musicians, so it goes without saying that they will want to use their talent to it's full petential so it's only natural that they woul[d add more melody sonner or later. It's hard to say which album I prefer out of this and The Fall Of Ideals, but this is one of their best! The opening track "Before The Damned" is an amazing song and a great mood setter with it's fast double bas and heavy guitar. The verse consists of deep growls followed by a kick ass singing chorus. "Two Weeks" is by far the best song on the album, despite the lack of screaming. The main vocals that you hear are all singing, but you still get the screaming in the background. The guitar work in the song is amazing and it really is one of those songs that you will listen to over and over again and never get bored of it. Oli Herbert is an amazing guitar player which he shows more and more of with each album, but I feel that even this does not do him justice and he has great things to come for him. Phil Labonte is also one of the most talented vocalists I ave ever seen, he is actually the first person I have ever considered to be better than Corey Taylor (SLipknot/Stone Sour). The overall sound of this band is just through the roof and this album is a great step forward, don't get me wrong though, all of their other albums are amazing. // 10

Lyrics: What's unique about this band is that their lyrics aren't all about death, misery etc. Generally speaking their lyrics are about bad relationships, there are exceptions to this (Song For The Hopeless for example), but genearally this is the main theme. Forever In Your Hands is odd because the chorus seems like a love song "trust in me the way I trusted you, I know we could have done this together. Believe in me like I believed in you, my heart would be forever in your hands" but the verse and bridge stick to the bad relationship theme "yet that conflict still filling me, mistrust venom inside of me". This band are also different from most metal band in the fact that you can understand almost everyword the Phil screams. The lyrics and vocals are amazing and Phil delivers them perfectly. This album blends agression and melody perfectly. A Song For The Hopeless is a perfect example. The song starts very melodic with really calm vocals but soon kicks in with nice agressive screams. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is amazing and is well worth the money. I strongly reccomend that any metal fan goes out today and buys every All That Remains CD and the DVD they really are that good! If I lost any ATR CD or the DVD I would buy them again without even thinking twice about it! // 10

Overcome Reviewed by: a7x19862008, on october 24, 2008

Sound: First off All That Remains (ATR) has been a constant presence in my music library since the release of The Fall of Ideals. ATR has to me, a different sound compared to the majority of the "Metal-Core" genre. What hooked me to ATR in the beginning was the balance of clean and unclean vocals. This was probably because of Adam D. from Killswitch producing The Fall of Ideals, because compared to their previous album This Darkened Heart the balance weighed to the unclean vocals, and a less polished music sound overall. Don't get me wrong I like This Darkened Heart, I can just really see the growth and progression ATR has made in the last few years. The one thing that impresses me the most about ATR is Phil's voice is the range of unclean vocals and the surprisingly melodic sound of his clean vocals. I'm becoming more convinced that the reason for the change to more melodic vocals is because the strain hardcore singers put on their vocal chords. M. Shadows has had surgery for torn vocal chords, and so has Matt from Bullet for My Valentine. Maybe more unclean vocalists will start to lean towards finding a balance to save their voices? Only time will tell. On to guitars, Mike Martin and Oli Herbert have shown that they are indeed one of the strongest guitar duo's of our time. Jason Costa has continued to surprise me as a drummer, as he has progressed he seems to get tighter and more polished for type of music he is playing. // 8

Lyrics: This is one of my favorite things about ATR. Phil in my personal opinion is one of the best lyrical writers in the genre. The Fall of Ideals showed some fantastic writing, and it has only gotten better in Overcome. My favorite track by far has to be 2 Weeks. It shows some of the lighter, more "motivational" side of Metal. With lyrics like "I could see it as you turned to stone, Still clearly I can hear you say, Don't leave, don't give up on me, Two weeks and you ran away, I remember don't lie to me, You couldn't see that it was not that way, Swear I never gave up on you" Not to mention the way he goes about this song vocally just puts the icing on the cake. Some have argued that his voice is becoming weaker, I disagree. I believe that this is the progression that ATR has chosen to do, and so far for me, it works. Other notable songs on the album are Undone, Forever In Your Hands, Chiron, and Days Without. Do Not Obey, Relinquish, and Overcome are more "old school" ATR that will please most ATR fans. However I am not a fan of I Believe In Nothing. it's a cover, I understand that, but I would rather have seen them write their own ballad. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this album is my favorite of theirs to date, I love the change up on the vocals. This has some radio friendly songs, which I hate to say. But I think this album shows more of their image, other than The Fall of Ideals which seemed to be more of an Adam D. project. This album isn't raw, but more medium-rare. They have gone back to their sound, but have improved on just about every angle. I know there will be fans out there that will hate this album. This year there have been so many bands that have released "different" records that tend to split critics down the middle. Saying you will love it or you will hate it. This album is different, however saying you would rather see a band release the same album over and over again with different song names than grow and refine their sound is refusing to respect them as musicians. So go out pick Overcome up and give it a listen, I'm sure just about everyone will find something they like about this album. // 8

Overcome Reviewed by: ShallowEndings, on december 18, 2008

Sound: Overcome is the latest album to be released by metalcore band All That Remains, the album was released on 16 September 08. I pesonally think it's one of the best albums ATR have ever released. As opposed to their previous albums, they took a different road with a new producer, and more emphasis on their singing and guitars, rather then full blown metalcore. This album is the first to be released with drummer Jason Costa (ex-Diecast) in it. His drumming skills are part of what made this album what it is. His style is one of the best I've ever seen, and his bass drumming is the backbone to his amazing skills. Oli Herbert has stated that his leads have been improved when it comes to speed and technique, which I agree with him 100%. My favourite solo to watch, is Chiron. He does very well to write the music how he does. Mike Martin has also made a great achievement in the rythm section. His blazing sounds that he makes are what makes songs what they are. Jeanne Segan, well although she's an amazing bassist, her sound is held back by the other instruments, unless I'm deaf her talent isn't being shown as much as it should. // 9

Lyrics: Like I said, this is one of the best albums ATR have ever released. I was impressed at Phil Labonte's vocal range, I think it's really versatile that a singer can switch between harsh vocals to a soft melodic tone. The lyrics are well written to me, but I think the main part of the songs is Phil's tone, they make it sound better then it should be. it's mainly hung around the topic of fear, anger etc. Which I think makes it sound more personal, and interesting. // 9

Overall Impression: This isn't like their previous albums, so there isn't as much of the heavier sounds your used to. This isnt to say that it's not a great sounding album, because it's something everyone should check out. What makes it sound like a great album is the characteristics of guitars, drums, bass and vocals mixed together. I strongly recommend it. If it were lost, well I have every track on my ipod, but if that and the CD were lost, I'd get it again without a doubt. Well done ATR. // 9

More All That Remains reviews rating latest review