The Fall Of Ideals Review

all that remains: The Fall Of Ideals
Release Date: Jul 11, 2006
Label: Razor & Tie/Prosthetic
Genres: Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
The Fall Of Ideals does stick out in this band's discography, but it isn't very identifiable in this genre.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.5
 9.6
 9.4
The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: x8LPfan8x, on july 21, 2006

Sound: I picked this CD up at a local entertainment store figuring on another good metalcore album, what I got was one of the best metalcore albums I've ever heard and certainly the best one this year. I don't know how it compares to "This Darkened Heart" but I do know that this CD is special. The drumming has some of the quickest double bass beats I've heard and has something other bands should use, blast beats. The guitars are insane as usual for a metalcore/NWAHM album and almost every song has a solo in it, a technically impressive solo at that, not some thrown together crap. The bass playing is hard to hear and that needs to be improved on in later albums. Summed up simply the sound is intense, punishing, and seriously impressive. Plus, they're adding some prog overtones in a couple of songs. // 10

Lyrics: Phil Labonte is a very skilled vocalist and one of the best in metalcore today, period. One thing I apologize for not knowing is if he recorded the melodic parts on the album which are mainly choruses. These are possibly the hookiest and most impressive choruses I've heard in metal. Very similiar to As I Lay Dying and some Killswitch Engage. Lyrics are again something I'm not good at reading into so I'm gonna give him credit for a great delivery and style. Several songs also contain a wide variety of screams, growls, and melodies. // 10

Overall Impression: I purchased this CD and Fear Factory's "Archetype" at the same time, and I've listened to this CD more than FF's by a long shot. It's that impressive. The first track "The Calling" is so far the best song with several others in very close 2nd. I'd definitely buy this again without a second thought if it was lost or stolen. // 10

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: Slinov, on august 22, 2007

Sound: This album sounds amazing, I mean really, it's fantastic. Although some of the riffs may seem repeated at times, there is definatley passion in the playing. Both guitarists have worked extremely hard to make sure that the listener gets the message of each song. The vocalist himself is also fantastic, mixing the deep screams/growls with the high ones, to amazing, heart-melting vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also fantastic. Simple as. Most lyrics I find are about self worth and love. An example of a self-worth song would be "The Air That I Breathe". This song to me talks about how someone, despite past setbacks, is relentlessly trying to achieve their goal. "Whispers (I Hear You)" is one of the many "love" songs on the album. This song is about how a guy can love a girl so much that he is constantly thinking about them. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impressions of this album is fantastic. My reccomendations for songs to listen to, are the following: Six, The Air That I Breathe, Whispers (I Hear You), Become the Catalyst, This Calling. My Only problem with the album, is that there aren't many softer songs, as in, an acoustic song here and there as some bands tend to do, to tone the album down for a massive finale. If you like bands like Killswitch Engage, you will love this band vocal-wise, and if you like technical fast playing guitar riffs like those shown by Protest the Hero, then you will indeed love this album. // 10

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: fredzeskater, on january 07, 2008

Sound: Despite how much I love this album, I will admit that it isn't unique. I feel as if it has all been done before by bands such as Killswitch Engage. Although, I do prefer All that remains. I got into this band by stealing (well, lets just say borrowing) my friend's mp3 player, and after hearing 'Six' and 'The Air That I Breathe', I was hooked. Later, I bought the album and was quickly sucked into almost every one of their songs. With some metal bands, I find that it takes a while to get into their material, but with All That Remains, I got into over half the album after a first listen to it. I think that the message behind this album is mainly hatred towards a relationship/partener. Maybe they've been messed about and forced into hating someone they have loved, yet still having feelings towards this person. Maybe not, but that's only my opinion. I like the fast picking guitar and being a guitarist myself, notice that they are only simple riffs, made to sound incredible. Like a modern version of Metallica but not as boringly long. I think this album differs from other metal bands in a way that their tracks are only 3.40ish. Unlike some bands who have pointlessly long songs. The songs are short, snappy and fast going. Every second of the song is great; hitting you like an atom bomb. // 10

Lyrics: One thing I can say I truely love about this album is the screaming, yes screaming from the singer. A perfect example of his awesome screaming voice would be the intro to "Six", as he screams "Yeeeeaoowwww! I wish I was free of this". This has to be my favourite line screamed in my entire itunes libary. He also projects his voice in lots of different ways, from death metal screaming, to pop-like choruses (Like Trivium) with also the typical metal screaming he uses for the verse. In almost every line sung, he switches to either one of these voices, keeping the song enjoyable and unique. The lyrics are well written and complex, which can be good and bad, but I like it. They sing of hatred towards loved ones, something I think almost everyone could relate back to in some point of their life. The lyrics fit the music beautifully, the dark sounding heavy lyrics mixed with the fast and violent guitar thrusting and drumming beats. "I am not empty inside, though I long to make this right", I think this is one of my favourite lyrics of the entire album, the way he screams it also amazes me! // 7

Overall Impression: I have not yet heard All That Remains' previous album but I will purchase it soon. I think All That Remains are just a typical metal band like Lamb of God, Trivium and Killswitch Engage leading them to be seen possibly as un-original, yes I do agree, but it is still great music. Most impressive songs on the album are definately "Six", "Not alone", "The Calling", and "Empty Inside", however, I am a huge fan of all the tracks on this album. I love this album because being a metal fan for a long time, things change so much with everyone trying to be more original and creative. But with the 'fall of ideals', I can sit down, and just listen to a typical but perfect metal album, which I love. If it was stolen, I would violently assult the person who had taken it. hehe. I also recommend listening to the solo for "Empty inside", the pinch harmony at 1.45 is the best I have ever had the honour to hear. If you are a fan of Trivium or Killswitch Engage, buy this album, now. // 10

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: Eurasian_C, on july 22, 2006

Sound: "The Fall Of Ideals," ooh I'm listening to it right now! I picked this up with my buddy, James, two days ago. I would have to say that this is possibly the most dynamic and musically enthralling metalcore CD I have purchased since Killswitch Engage's "The End of Heartache. I still remember my reaction when I got the leak for "This Calling;" I was absolutely floored. The guitars definitely got a lot heavier, the drumming is absolutely insane, and Phil's vocals are soaring and dynamic. From "This Darkened Heart" to "The Fall of Ideals" is like night and day. The sound has become a lot more mature and refined since the last record; everything has changed for the better. I'd say the only thing that didn't change in this effort is that the mighty Adam Dutkiewicz produced it. // 10

Lyrics: As a vocalist, I feel that the lyrics have to truly fit the mood of the music. Phil's lyrics are possibly some of the best I've read since Killswitch's. They allow people to relate to them; they are not too obscure or metaphorical. For instance, "Six" is about memories of a former lover. "Indictment," in my opinion, is a blow towards the Al Quaeda beliefs ("My eyes have seen the horrors that you committ in the name of your god.")What I like about Phil is that his vocals are very audible most of the time; I am able to hear and understand the message that he's trying to put out. As I said before, Phil has greatly improved since "This Darkened Heart." Almost every song has a sung part, and he would just hit those parts right out of the park! He has a great, melodic singing voice that can just hit you like waves of water. There is passion in what he sings, and he truly portrays it. His extreme vocals have definitely improved since "This Darkened Heart." There are a lot more growls and "cookie monster" vocals (as he likes to call them), as well as his high pitched screams, which he absolutely nailed. The songs that would probably define his improvement would be "This Calling" and "Whispers (I Hear You)." Big props to Phil on his awesome effort! // 10

Overall Impression: "The Fall of Ideals" is definitely the best metalcore CD you can get now. This doesn't even compare with my former favorite, Killswitch Engage's "The End Of Heartache." I loved every song on this CD; there is no favorite of mine. Each song has its own flare and drive to it. If you are a hardcore/metal/metalcore junky, then you must have this; you will truly be blown away. // 10

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: LSPapercutAP, on february 20, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is absolutely amazing and every song is differnet and unique. I love the vocals, Phil is pretty much the greatest metalcore singer I have ever heard in my life! He is even better then Howard from KSE and now that is saying something! He is a very talented scream singer and a very talented melodic singer as well. The drums on this album are absolutely insane. How can you possible drum that fast? My favorite drumming song is probably This Calling. The guitar riffs are absolutely insane. This duo of guitarists are the craziest I have heard. The lead guitar is the best guitarist I have ever heard. If you don't beleive me just listen to any of the songs on this albums. Fast Intros, catchy verses, amazing choruses, and brain melting solos. The bassist is also talented but is at times hard to hear over the gutiar and drums. // 10

Lyrics: I love the Lyrics on this album so much, they are very inspiring and help me get through each day. The mix of a heavy sound w/ Lyrics about never giving up and are sung w/ passion by Phil. The Lyrics are incredible, Plain and simple. It is very interesting how the songs are made lyric-wise. There is no said verse and chorus but the sogns revolves around a poem and certain parts are said at specific times. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album that All that Remains has created. To go a step further i would have to say that this is the best metalcore album to date and no other band comes even close to its superiority. My favorite songs are: Not Alone, This Calling, Six, Air That I Breathe, Whispers (I Hear You). // 10

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2007

Sound: The overall sound is just great! Though it sounds similar to othe bands on the Boston metalcore scene (Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Unearth), it packs wiz bang harmony solos, relentless riffing, and some of the greatest vocals in metal. Labonte's deep death metal growls and high pitched screams, along with his modern rocksque chourus are the perfect balance of beautiful and brutal. Now, I can't leave out the powerhouse drumming of Shannon Lucas (who left shortly after the release). His powerful, triple time beats is what adds the power to the chourus of "This Calling." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the overall state of metal. Gloomy and full of hatred. With songs about past relationships, war, and failure, Labonte's lyrics resemble somewhat of Howard Jones/Jesse Leach (Killswitch Engage). And, as I stated before, His vocal powerhouse adds brutality and beauty. // 9

Overall Impression: This album compares highly to my other favorite metalcore albums in every way. A7X's "Waking The Fallen", As I Lay Dying's "Shadows Are Security", Killswitch Engage "The End Of Heartache", Bullet For My Valentine "The Poison", and Atreyu's "The Curse" all stand highly right next to this album. My favorite songs are "This Calling", "The Air That I Breathe", "Six", and "Become The Catalyst." // 10

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: Sameagleye, on july 10, 2007

Sound: All That Remains is a very talented band, though, not very unique. A lot of riffs on this album are clear variations of something Metallica or Slayer would do. And there are some riffs and chord progressions that are similar to other bands out right now. Such as, Shadows Fall and Lamb of God. But they are a great band, I think they just need to be a little bit more creative and diverse. They have a great guitar sound though. A disgusting and thick underlaying rhythym combined with a creamy and smooth lead track that sounds awesome. they're music is fst and they have a bad-ass drummer to keep up with it. They're drummer is amazing and has a very unique style when it comes to fills and bridge rhythyms. And you can hear a shit load of extremely fast double bass mayhem! So overall the music is very great but lacking in originality in my opinion. // 9

Lyrics: The singer of this band is amazing. He has the widest rabge I've ever heard. From grindcore growls and howls to metal screams and yells to smooth melodies and vast note changes, this is a VERY well skilled and talented singer. The lyrics seem to follow a certain trend on this album. Like a guy struggling with various problems but still prevails, never giving up and pulling through. Every song seems to be about the same thing and each have lyrics from another song on the album. But the sound and skill of Phil's voice makes up for that. An the lyrics definetly fit the music. Sad yet angry mixed with confusion and dissaray, it's awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to most artists out right now, ATR is a kick ass band who should definetly be heard. I would choose them over any other band on Fuse ad MTV. The best songs on the album are Not Alone, The Weak Willed, Six, The Air That I Breathe, We Stand. I would definetly buy this again if it were lost or stolen, great great album. // 10

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: Pretty_Much, on september 21, 2007

Sound: All That Remians, The Fall of Ideals will not dissapoint. They're one of the best metalcore bands and they're staying up there with they're latest album "The Fall of Ideals". This album is heavy, and I love all the songs. This album is like I expected, amazing. The best songs that describe this album are "This Calling", "Not Alone", and "The Air That I Breath". Although every song on this album is also great. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are amazing. Every song on this album has a meaning behind it, and not all of the songs ar about how crappy our world is or killing people. Phill (the vocalist) shows his true vocal talents in The Fall of Ideals. He doesn't just do the same boring scream, he switches it up a little bit. He growls, screams, sings, and does a higher pitched scream. Phill is definatly one of my favourite vocalists in metal. // 9

Overall Impression: The Fall of Ideals, I say, is All That Remains best album yet. They just keep getting better and better. And like I said before the best songs are "This Calling, "Not Alone", and "The Air That I Breath". And there are even more songs that are just as good. I don't really hate anything about this album. If this album where stolen I would definetly buy it again. The Fall of Ideals owns! // 9

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: IBZhorsman15, on january 05, 2008

Sound: Perhaps one of the greatest CDs this year, All That Remains kicked ass with the Fall of Ideals. Phil Labonte's vocal style redefines metalcore vocals. From his deep growl to his high screetch and his "cookie monster" vocals to his melodic singing, he is one of the best singer on the scene today. Oli Herbert and Mike Martin's dual guitars are so amazing on this record. It's been a while since I've heard such tight rythms and melodic solos on a metalcore album. Let's of course not forget the amazing drumming of Mike Bartlett (not Shannon Lucas as everyone keeps thinking, watch the video for This Calling, It's not Lucas). Though replaced shortly after the recording of this record by Shannon Lucas and subsequently Jason Costa, there are some amazing blasts beats and drum lines. This record showcases some of the greatest, fastest, and most creative use of double bass I have ever heard. The only issue I have is that the bass of Jeanne Sagan is rarely heard. Other than that, pure amazing. // 9

Lyrics: Phil's lyrics bring the album to an entire new level. They fit each song perfectly. The various themes brought into play such as loss, hate, heartache, and war attack each song with new intensity. Again, Phil has one of the greatest set of vocal cords in the metalcore scene today. Had All That Remains had a different frontman, I'm not sure they would be the same. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other metalcore albums that I own, such as Killswitch Engage's The End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies as well as stuff from Shadows Fall and Lamb Of God, it ranks high. It gets regular play on my computer and Ipod. Some of the best tracks include "This Calling", "The Air That I Breathe", "Become The Catalyst", "Not Alone", and "We Stand". I recommend all of the songs however. Again, I disliked the general lack of bass, but the vocals, guitars, and drumming make up for it. Should it get stolen or lost and deleted from my computer, I would absolutly buy it again. // 9

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: Titansfan920, on may 30, 2008

Sound: The sound of All That Remains CD The Fall Of Ideals is great. To this point, I had never listened to All That Remains and I heard the song "This Calling" on their myspace. I was hooked. I bought the CD and I do not regret it. The Fall of Ideals is such an amazing cd, featuring searing guitars, with each song usually featuring complex and unique solos and killer double bass on the drums. The bass is a little to quite but besides that I have no complaints. The song are aggressive and full of energy. Defiantly an amazing sound. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals are very diverse, as you have anything from the shrilly, high pitched screams, to the death metal growls and chants to the melodic singing. It is all blended together very well and is impressive. The lyrics mostly seem to deal with relationships but they avoid just bitching which is what many of people do. I was impressed though. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, any metal fan should have this cd. I have a huge collection of cd's and this is one of the best ones to grace my collection. One of the best cd's I've heard in a long time, I just wish I would have started listening to these guys sooner. can't wait to listen to the rest of their stuff. // 10

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: Mothra, on june 10, 2008

Sound: All That Remains is one of my favorite bands ever. To me, the sound is incredible, and really brings out their best. It's very heavy on some songs, such as "Becoming the Catalyst", and is good for any fan of death-metal, melodic-metal, and technical. "Six" is a very, fast, melodious song. It's one of my favorite songs ever. // 10

Lyrics: The voice is insane. He has three voices, and all go together very good. The lyrics behind "Six", are about a girl who left him, and in the chorus he says:"damn her", a few times, letting you know how he feels. Labonte uses his voice very good. I'd kill to have that voice. Well, voices. It gets real heavy in some parts, but he keeps it balanced in softer parts too. // 9

Overall Impression: It compares to some of the Messhuggah, and As I lay Dying CD's. It's just so cool how they put every thing together. Well, "Six", "The Air That I Breathe", "Becoming the Catalyst", and "Empty Inside" are my personal favs'. I love everything about it, and if it was stolen, or lost, I'd totally buy it again. // 10

The Fall Of Ideals Reviewed by: Aleks305, on june 28, 2008

Sound: A great sounding album indeed, the first song I heard was "Six" and I just immediatelly got hooked on this band. It reminds me a lot of Killswitch Engage but on steroids of course, great guitars, amazing drummming and the vocals will blast your face a good 2 miles away. Every song on this album is just incredible, there's not a single one that's not worthy of a good headbang. One of the best metalcore cds I've heard in a long long time, it's so powerful and varied and overall it's just a great flowing mix of speed, technicallity and harmonization. Go buy it! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit in perfectly with the music with a dazzling blend of growls, screams and clean harmonious vocals. "Not Alone" and "This Calling" are prime examples of this scream/clean mix they use. The lyrics in themselves are badass, add insane guitars and blast beat, double bass helicopter drumming and well you have the music of the gods. // 9

Overall Impression: I like this album more then ATR's other one, it's just aah! It's unbelievable! All the songs on this album will blow your mind and they are all so varied and unique, I guess that's what makes this album so great, apart from the well built solos, the counterpoints, the vocals and the drumming that just makes it all so right. If it were lost or stolen I would definitelly run down and buy another one. // 10

More All That Remains reviews rating latest review