This Darkened Heart Review

artist: all that remains date: 03/23/2011 category: compact discs
all that remains: This Darkened Heart
Released: Mar 23, 2004
Genre: Rock
The guitar playing is excellent, and as a whole this album is better than average for the genre.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.5
 9.5
 9.4
This Darkened Heart Reviewed by: NWOAHM_cain, on january 03, 2005

Sound: Wow! That's all I can say. This is an awesome album, a joy to behold, it breathes fresh air into a struggling NWOAHM movement, which has a former forerunner of it, KSE, faltering badly. The production is spot on, everything is mixed to perfection. The styke is in a similar vein to Unearth, early KSE, and Shadows Fall etc, and I'm some parts done even better than these peers. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics here are nothing to be shameful about, and the delivery by Phil Labonte is incredible beyond belief, he compliments the music perfectly, performing all main and backing vocals, even live. He is truly one of the best of his generation. The music is heavy, but not brutal, and the lyrics match this. The title track and Tattered On My Sleeve are very good examples of this. // 10

Overall Impression: For me, this is album of the year. Astounding performance from all members, especially Matt Deis, Oli Herbert and Phil Labonte. ATR have proved here that they are at the front of the current metal scene. I have yet to own Behind Silence and Solitude, but if its anything like this, I will go out of my way to own it! My standout songs are Focus Shall Not Fail, Tattered On My Sleeve, The Deepest Gray and Regret Not. It's hard to choose, there are no sub-par songs here. What I love most about this album is the musicianship, Oli Herbert is a stunning guitarist, who you may be lucky enough to get a lesson off if you go and see them i. e. it is possible to arange 1. If this were stolen or lost, there would be no hesitation from me to go buy this album, its just that damn good. // 10

This Darkened Heart Reviewed by: nothingface187, on october 06, 2005

Sound: The sound is awesome, I mean it is a lot more developed than the first album, Behind Silence and Solitude. The guitars on this is just awesome, Oli is an amazing guitarist, well both guitarists are awesome. Also I meant the band at the Sounds Of The Underground tour, they set the standard, also they a bunch cool guys. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit the music very well, Phil voice is awesome, it is very from other bands. He has a very good clean singing voice as well, one of favorite vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: First of all, I really liked the vocals, and both guitars, I was a bit disppointed in the drums, because it doesn't really give it that metal sound to the music. But than again that is what makes this band different than all the other metal who have that double kick bass drums. If this album was stolen or I lost it, I would diffenitly go out and buy another one. I diffenitely recommed this one. // 10

This Darkened Heart Reviewed by: legions, on october 17, 2005

Sound: This CD is very good. I love the guitar work and am very impressed by the guitar solos. they have greatly matured since their last CD. This CD contains guitar work that other bands in this genre could only dream of producing. The vocals have also gotten better, phil's screams aren't the best out there, but they fit the music and he has an absolutely amazing clean singing voice. So if you're a fan of metalcore then this is a deffinite must have. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written and you can tell that it all comes from the heart. Like I said before, Phil has an amazing clean singing voice and it just can't be topped by many. Seriously. // 10

Overall Impression: If you like Killswitch Engage, then you're bound to like this band, but in my opinion, ATR are musically 983215421 times better than KSE. the most impressive songs are the opening track, "And Death In My Arms" and "Vicious Betrayal" also "Tattered On My Sleeve" contains a epic solo. The only complaints I have on this CD are that it is very short, but even so it is a absolute perfect ten metal album. If someone were to steal this from me I wouldnt hesitate to buy another copy, or I'd hunt them down, pound the living crap out of them and get my CD back. Either way the CD is worth buying. And if I lost this CD, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Honestly people, go buy this and save your self from all of the crap music that is being produced. This is the good stuff. // 10

This Darkened Heart Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 14, 2005

Sound: Great sound! I listen to all kinds of stuff like this music, bands like: Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Arch Enemy. All That Remains sounds like a mix of those bands, but they still sound original, especially their solo's. If you like good metal, not like Slipknot and if you like great solo's grunting and a little bit of singing, ull love all that remains. // 10

Lyrics: I don't care about lyrics, they are like all other metal bands, death and destruction etc. If you want lyrics listen to hip-hop with your homies, this music is far beyond lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said they sound like a great mix of all those good bands, but you wont recognise any of their sounds, it's really a good original fresh band, with awesome solos. Some tracks are less techinical then others, I like the technical ones, with breaks, lots of solos and acoustic breaks, and some singing. The others are fine too, though, this album is worth buying. I'm really looking forward to their next album. If it were stolen I wouldn't really care since I've ripped the tracks on my PC and I can make an audio-CD of those anytime. // 10

This Darkened Heart Reviewed by: Xenochrist91, on march 23, 2011

Sound: The style of this album was outstanding, and this represents All That Remains at it's best. Oli Herbert's soloing style never ceases to amaze me, and he is very creative in writing songs and riffs, on this album at least. Everything fit together almost perfectly and I definitely recommend this album to metalheads. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics were quite basic, but not bad; after all, how much can you expect from metalcore? ;) The lyrics fit quite well with the music, however, and this album is Philip Labonte's best vocal performance in my opinion. // 6

Overall Impression: In my opinion this is All That Remains' best album, The Fall of Ideals was good but had very boring song structures and got old fast. Then Overcome marked the beginning of their selling-out. The album had many good songs; Passion, I Die in Degrees, Tattered on My Sleeve, For Salvation, Focus Shall Not Fail, and This Darkened Heart were all great tracks, and I feel that this album represents about as much brutality as you can get in metalcore, and is a great example for future metalcore-lovers who want to start a band. // 8

More All That Remains reviews rating latest review