All Things New Review

9.7
 6.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
All Things New Reviewed by: Fourgiven, on june 12, 2013

Sound: A refreshing and new sound to the Christian radio that was getting a little bland and generic. All Things New's debut record offers a bright outlook on the downfalls and disappointments of life. The music has a distinct bluegrass/southern rock sound, employing the use of mandolins and banjos along with the traditional guitar, bass, drums. It mixes the southern style with the traditional worship sound, having string accompaniment on most tracks. The album is diverse but focused, blending the two styles quite well. Guitarist Jeff Stein expertly employs the use of various delay and other effect pedals throughout the album, putting just the right part in every song. While it seems the bass was a little to low in the album (especially since they're on the verge of country music)the songs where the bass sounds audible it is clear it perfectly connects the guitar to the drums. Drummer Luke Wycuff delivers a solid performance in every track, giving every song a strong back bone. // 9

Lyrics: Most tracks on this album are deep, and soul searching. None of the lyrics seem forced or unnatural. Haha, nothing grabs your attention and says "Hey! I shouldn't be here," which is good. The lyrics fit the music perfectly, providing for a great album to worship to. Singer Garrett Hornbuckle has a pure, clean voice that is perfect for the music. Despite the purity in his vocals he still manages to keep his distinct voice. Also he demonstrates amazing vocal range, even the highest notes on the record seem easily in his reach. The backing vocals were done by guitarist Jeff Stein and bass player Joshua Schou, and pushes every track so much further, whether its a barely audible harmony to the lead vocal or a loud shout to accompany the music, the one-two punch of Jeff and Josh sounds superb. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is particularly strong, it stacks up to some of the most popular Christian contemporary artists recent releases. This is a very solid album through and through. The most impressive songs are "In Your Reach," "Washed Over Me," "You Came For Me," and lyrically "Keep Me On My Knees." The first single "New Man" is a great spiritual song, and Garrett sings with such emotion, the only thing is the radio station I listen to played that song multiple times an HOUR! I heard it at least ten times once at work. So its a great song but it got a little too overplayed for me. I love that this is the first solid country Christian album. It is sort of the first of its kind to be this popular. The guys have showed considerable growth in songwriting and musicianship since their EP "Overcome" from 2011. I look forward to seeing them grow even bigger (like Casting Crowns big). I waited two months to buy a hard copy of the CD on amazon and it was worth it, if I lost the album I would go to extreme means to find it. Or buy another. Its definitely worth the ten dollars for a life changing listen.

// 10