Formshifter Review

9.8
 9.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Formshifter Reviewed by: KataklysmDeth, on may 22, 2012

Sound: Allegaeon is: Ezra Haynes (Vocals), Ryan Glisan (guitar), Greg Burgess (guitar) and Corey Archuleta (bass). As of right now they do not have a set drummer, but for recognition sake JP Andrade recorded the drum tracks on this album. These guys are from Fort Collins, Colorado and have been around since 2008 when they released their first EP of which has 4 incredibly brutal, intricate, and well-written tracks. When they were signed by Metal Blade they released their first studio album titled: "Fragments Of Form And Function", July 20th 2010. This album contained proof that these guys were not to be messed with or taken lightly. A HUGE step up from their monolithic debut. Now for "Formshifter". Anything I say about this album will be completely understating it because "Formshifter" is a melodic death symbol of perfection. Ryan and Greg combine their mastery of their instruments to create an original, fresh, and blazing tone put into 10 monstrous memorable tracks that will change the life of any metalhead and musician. Along with all the metal greatness Greg adds his classical guitar mastery into play with a beautiful waltz piece and amazing solos stemming from his college educated classical prowess. All of this added with Ezra's incredible vocal control and range, and Corey's vast talent on bass and you have a refreshingly original album that raises the bar pretty damn high for the metal genre. I do not write reviews. My intent is to get this band heard. So, flame or no flame, I don't care what you have to say about my review as long as you check this band out. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically this band is ASTOUNDING. Each song containing history, philosophy, or tells a story. For example, "Tartessos: The Hidden Xenocryst", is about the lost city of Atlantis. I also want to add another aspect of this band, that seems to be lost among most metal nowadays, every single note and every word spoken is heart driven. Ezra Haynes' voice may as well be wielding Thor's hammer because that is how it hits you. (In a very metal good way of course). The lyrics are incredibly well written with intelligence and purpose which compliments the sound. To truly understand, you have to hear it. // 10

Overall Impression: "It's not just the magnificently blended barrage of monstrous riffs and insidious hooks. Nor is it solely due to the fact it sounds like the quarter are trying to bring the sky crashing down on your head. And it's not just the wealth of complex leads that will make many guitarists petulantly sulk in the corner after a single exposure. It's all of those elements combined with great songwriting that makes the record truly special." - Kerrang! Magazine. To compare Allegaeon to other bands would be an insult to them. They tower over a vast majority of the metal community. (My opinion of course) At the very least, their originality speaks for itself. They are my personal favorite band because of how utterly satisfying their music is. They combine so many different aspects of music and life that not only will you be left dumbfounded by their immense talent but you will find yourself smarter than you were before. They not only humble your present skill but make you want to better yourself. Add them on Facebook, they love their fans, Greg gives guitar lessons and all of them have such awesome and fun personalities. Best songs: I think all of them are incredible but if I absolutely had to choose a few favorites they would be: "Behold (God I Am)", "Tartessos: The Hidden Xenocryst", "Twelve: Vals For The Legions", "The Azrael Trigger", "Secrets Of The Sequence". If I lost it... Well I don't see how I could lose it but if I only had a physical copy of it I would buy it again as many times as I'd lose it. I love everything and dislike nothing about this album. // 10

More Allegaeon reviews rating latest review
+ Fragments Of Form And Function 9.9 06/27/2012