Truth In Sincerity Review

amber pacific: Truth In Sincerity
Release Date: May 22, 2007
Label: Hopeless
Genres: Rock
This CD is pumped with power pop energy, skateboard punk velocity, and emotive muscle in the vocal moves of lead singer Matt Young.
 7.3
 7.6
Truth In Sincerity Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 28, 2007

Sound: Amber Pacific was formed in 2002 by three high school friends. As most bands nowadays, these guys became famous due to a base of dedicated fans and Warped Tours, gaining more fame with their debut album than they even expected. Truth In Sincerity is their sophomore full-length, released on Hopeless records. Aiming to stay true to the fans, Amber Pacific didn't change their sound, following the same direction as on their debut The Possibility And The Promise and even inviting the same producer. Instead the guys chose to expand as musicians, polishing their technical skills. Drummer Dango that has a music degree in University, is shooting out drums parts like a machine-gun and guitarist Will Nutter provides a few very fast guitar exercises, masked under solos. The guys are definitely full of energy and very enthusiastic about what they're doing. You can almost feel that energy bursting out of their music. The album starts with a piano intro with a thunder storm that has no connection with the rest of the album. There's a similar piece with bells towards the end of the album, named We Think We Are Hardcore 'cause Well, We Are. These two sound quite out of place here. The album is very intense and the band avoids peaceful ballads in the sake of faster tracks. Galloping rhythms of Runaway makes the song very literal. Truth In Sincerity was written by Will Nutter for less than a month and that is probably the reason the most songs follow the same scenario and emotions. The production by Martin Feveyear is pretty solid, but it doesn't save the record. Everything is state and most songs are at the same level. // 6

Lyrics: Amber Pacific has some obvious things to tell you like Your life's worth living -- as if you don't know it or I'll give a life for you, heard in every second teenage band. The poetry will surely be liked by younger ones as there is a full set of things that bother any teenager -- love, life choices and of course relationship. Matt Young is a mediocre vocalist. He's crooning about I want to be your only one in a voice that would better fit some emo band. Not that it's weak, but higher notes sound too strained. Runaway feature a guest vocalist Mike Herrera from MxPx. Funny how the guys' voices are almost identical. Among the excitements is Living Proof with Viking-like hey! and hoy! back vocals borrowed from some metal band. // 5

Overall Impression: It seems pop punk genre would never die. No matter how many average bands there are and how primitive they sound, the genre still inspires new acts to get into it. Though it works mostly with juniors that give up trying soon after finishing high school. Amber Pacific is another mediocre act that doesn't change the situation. You'll find the album interesting if you're into the genre, but don't expect anything memorable or exciting. The guys are certainly good technical musicians and know how to play guitars and drums fast, but most songs sound like an exam in a music school -- hasty and not very interesting. Like the majority of pop punk songs, tracks from Truth In Sincerity are hard to differ one from another. // 6

- Kosh (c) 2007

Truth In Sincerity Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on april 18, 2007

Sound: Amber Pacific's second full length release on Hopeful Records entitled Truth In Sincerity is pumped with power pop energy, skateboard punk velocity, and emotive muscle in the vocal moves of lead singer Matt Young. The power drumming of Dango and the guitar crimps of Will Nutter's furious fretting trembles with the thunderous intensity of a free falling avalanche. Bassist Greg Strong heightens the crescent turbulence and stays spot on with drum kicks and searing guitar hooks. Their bars of power pop plumes and skateboard punk guitar slings are familiar in bands like Strike Anywhere and Matchbook Romance, but Amber Pacific fatten up their billowing action with orchestral strings performed by the Seattle Symphony on tunes like Take Me From This Place, Fall Back Into My Life and the preamble Rule #76 which segues into the fast and furious guitar sequences of Summer (in B). The staccato beats are sharp and erect ridges along the melody. The beats makes bubbly tremors on numbers like Temporary and Living Proof while the guitar arpeggios are challenging as they tangle and careen through the melodic verses. The music is enthusiastic and energetic with tracks like Follow Your Dreams, Forget The Scene and Runaway which features singer Mike Herrera from MXPX on alter vocal parts alongside Young. The chord changes are stirring and give the momentum extra pull as the pounding rhythms exhibit athletic speeds. The progressions form crests and slopes that move like a mogul course and the vocals glide along the surfs with a proficient swagger. Produced by Martin Feveyear (Mark Lanegan, Presidents Of The United States of America), Truth In Sincerity shows Amber Pacific's ease of playfulness and intensity and their sturdy grip on handling turbulent frequencies. I thought they were extremely proficient. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are expressive of human interaction and being able to develop inner strength from those personal relationships like in the song Watching Over Me when Young reflects, From your words I can tell you've lost a reason/ The will to carry on/ No chance that we will make it/ You've faked it for so long/ But I'm standing here before you/ As you're barely holding on/ And I'm writing just to show you/ There's strength in who you are/ We live and we fall/ But I'll try to move on/ It's so hard to be the one left on my own. The lyrical phrases are interpersonal and build inner strength out of failed relationships and the challenges from life's experiences. The words and vocals fit right in with the persistency of the rhythmic pulls. // 9

Overall Impression: As much as Amber Pacific have similarities with other power pop/skateboard punk bands, their music has sonic wails and tangling coordinates that are truly of their own making. Their music has charisma and strength, exuberance and contrasting textures that give their songs character, which may explain why their track Fall Back Into My Life was chosen to be in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film. The album has a playfulness and intensity that is totally aligned with TMNT's mantra and that's totally fine. // 8

More Amber Pacific reviews rating latest review