Fate Of Norns Review

amon amarth: Fate Of Norns
Release Date: Sep 7, 2004
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
Musically, Fate Of Norns is Spartan death metal built on epic, anthemic melodies, a perfect example of the Iron Maiden/death metal fusion tagged the "New Wave Of Swedish Heavy Metal."
 Lyrics: 9.5
Fate Of Norns Reviewed by: EmoSlayer666, on march 07, 2006

Sound: Amon Amarth are back with a new album with as much force and destruction as 50,000 Vikings storming the beaches of Scandinavia. "Fate Of Norns" released in 2004 has quickly bacame an instant classic to Amon Amarths already oustanding dicography. This Album has a real brutal sound that can leave you ears bleeding and wanting more. The overall sound od of the ablum is incredible, the guitars are seering with aggressivness and unforgiveness. And the drums are incedibly on well played. Some of the best double bass performances I have heard in a long time. Fate Of Norns is definetly an album to take in to consideration if you love that Scandinavian death/viking metal. // 10

Lyrics: Amon Amarth are a very impressive band with a lot story behind there lyrics. Most of them are based off of Ancient Viking stories and mythology. Most of the songs are based upon the journeys where viking sailed to foriegn countries to gain riches and land. In my opinion these are well thought out lyrics explaining the lifes and battles to which Viking had lived. The Lyrics and overall sound of the music blend very nicely and it is very easy to understand and make what Johan Hegg is saying. He does a very good job and the lyrics and is an excellant story teller. I personally love his voices and it works great wiht this certain genre of music. Two thumbs up. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums Fate Of Norns or Amon Amarth in general are very easy to recongize, but if you were to compare a band with them I think Opeth would be the closest. I am very impressed with the overall song list in this album. It has quickly became my album of the month. I love the descriptive Vicking influence in this album, and I love the drums and how well they blend with the guitars. And I wouldn't say I hate anything about this album. This album is definetly worth buying again if it was to be stolen. I give it two devil horns in the air. Buy it, you'll love. // 10

Fate Of Norns Reviewed by: aenimafist, on april 21, 2008

Sound: The first time I heard this album I knew immediately it was in drop-B standard. I thought the low end crunch fit the vocal style quite well the first time around. It still does. The tone on the guitars is remarkable and I appreciate the fact that the guitarists are very modest and don't just come forth and start shredding just to show off. There are only two leads in the whole album and I think that's pretty classy. The only thing I don't care for is the snare drum sound. It sounds a little too dry and not tight enough. // 9

Lyrics: Amon Amarth are the first band I've come across that integrate a story into each one of their songs that connects directly into the next one. This shows uniqueness in the band and keeps it from getting boring. Despite the visceral growl you can actually understand some of the lyrics when he sings. The best lyrics are in Arson and Beheading of a King. I like the format of the songs too because they are not written in just standard intro verse chorus verse chorus, that type of thing. They just flow and tell the story they were meant to. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think I would Amon Amarth on top of my favorite melodic death metal bands list but they would definately be in my top five. The band is unique in many ways both musically and lyrically and I think those are two things to be desired in a lot of todays music. The band makes the songs very melodic on the instrumental parts and they don't make one particular sound the whole way through. They vary their keys quite a bit. The best songs are Pursuit Of Vikings, Beheading Of A King, and Arson. // 9

More Amon Amarth reviews rating latest review