With Oden On Our Side Review

amon amarth: With Oden On Our Side
Release Date: Oct 3, 2006
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
For admirers of death metal with some added muscle, With Odin On Our Side shows that Amon Amarth continue to be champions of the worldwide death metal tournament.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
 9.1
With Oden On Our Side Reviewed by: Fraserwatt, on august 22, 2007

Sound: To describe Amon Amarth's sound and their music, you would need a visual image. Imagine a group of vikings landing in their longboats and just slaying everything. then writing some quality metal about it. This music really does paint a picture for me, the guitars, drums, vocals, the lot really makes you feel a part of whichever story is being told in the given song. // 10

Lyrics: Although the entire album is delivered vocally in a intelligible, almost deathmetal vocal-esque way, after listening to the album all the way through, you not only appriciate the vocals, but even detractors from the style may agree that frankly, a cleaner form of vocals would not have been as fitting. Common with Viking Metal, the main song topic here is war, and although it is lacking with flamboyant folk instrumentation or orchestration (a la Korpiklaani or Turisas), I think that if anything, the lack of this adds to the raw power of the album if anything. If there was one criticism I could think of, it's this: we've heard quite a few songs about battle now, Amon Amarth. // 9

Overall Impression: Scince buying this album, only the purchase of Vintersorg's "Solens Rutter" has dislodged it from my CD player. Given nearly anything you'd want from a metal album, this album has it; Riffs, Interesting guitar work, strong imagery, etc etc. I have trouble selecting a highlight from this album, but if I had to pick one, it would probably have to be Runes To My Memory, as this is by far my favorite track on the album. Highly recommended to any fan of death metal, melodic death metal, viking metal, or just metal in general. Hell yes I would buy it again if it was stolen or lost, even if it was just for that lovely embossed packageing! An album forged by gods, Amon Amarth truely do have Oden on their side. // 9

With Oden On Our Side Reviewed by: cataclysm34, on october 26, 2006

Sound: The band's sound has evolved with the release of 'With Oden On Our Side'. The group have this time arounded added more intricate solos than were found on their previous releases and are moving in a melodic direction. For all fans of their old sound there's still plenty of that in the album to be found. 01. Valhall Awaits Me - the song begins with a riff reminiscent of Painkiller on crack. A well rounded song with plenty of melody and guts. Typical of Amon Amarth lyrics the song should be taken completely literally with no metaphor attempted. 02. Runes To My Memory - a typical metal track involving repetitive tremolo picking and chugging riffs not a bad listen all and all, but not the albums's best piece. 03. Asator - here you'll find the old school Amon Amarth sound with lightning fast drums and speedy guitar riffs. Leading into a typical heaving breakdown definitely a fun track to hear. Here you'll find that their scale playing has paid off a neat tidy melodic not too flashy solo. 04. Hermod's Ride To Hel - Loki's Treachery - a slower paced track with pounding drums in the background. The song focuses on Norse Mythology so take a look into it for a hope of understanding the material in the song. 05. Gods Of War Arise - another old school sounding track similar to things you'd find on 'Once Sent Through The Golden Hall'. Make sure any bible-thumping parents don't understand the lyrics here as the vocal catch 'Sacrifice to gods of old' might not sit too well with them. Typical guitar work catchy but a little redundant after a while 06. With Oden On Our Side - overall one of my preferred tracks more feeling than the rest of the album in my opinion. And great epic guitar working with the atmosphere of the lyrics. You can find a lot of their old sound on this track if you're into it. 07. Cry Of The Black Birds - the song begins with a slower more melodious riff a great track as it develops. The song picks up with the speedy drummy into a more fast paced track into an epic battle scene. 08. Under The Northern Star - perhaps my least liked track, but not bad overall. It feels to me like filler as there's not much variety in the guitar work. And the lyrics deal consistently with enjoyable viking material. The best part of the song definitely being the harmony towards the end. 09. Prediction Of Warfare - an awesome closer to an awesome while not the fastest perhaps the most thoroughly thought through track. Taking it's place as the longest track on the album at 6:38 the guitar work and lyrics manage to keep you on your toes and build excitement steadily. Ties the entire experience together with flair. Overall a great piece of viking metal worth the money you'll pay. With elements used by lots of contemporary artists you'll hear a lot of the usual tied together in a unique way. Worth whatever you pay for it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are all based on very literal viking subjects of battle, pillaging and ravaging the lands. Accompanied with the occassional dosage of norse mythology, it makes a fun listen. The music and lyrics meld well in this album with no out of place riffs dealing with the subject matter. Johan Hegg's voice is developing from the unintelligible growls from before into a vicious bark but while being able to discern his words. Improvement from the old days of Amon Amarth. // 9

Overall Impression: A logical step forward from "Fate of Norns" the band seems to be maintaining their sound while keeping it moving in new directions, sure to make new fans and keep old ones. The songs that really stand out in this album to me are 'Valhall Awaits Me', 'Asator', 'With Oden On Our Side', and 'Prediction of Warfare'. I love that they are managing to keep the old sound while experimenting at the same time and are bound to find new fans and keep the old ones. I wouldn't buy this album again had I lost it because I already ripped the tracks onto my computer. But a worthwhile purchase. // 9

With Oden On Our Side Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2006

Sound: If you are frightened by guttural growling vocals, this is not your band. Amon Amarth are a kickass band with loud, sharp guitar riffs and blistering drums, and a vocalist who sounds as if satan himself would cringe in fear at the sound of his voice. This is straight metal with lyrics about war, destruction, and norse gods. Amon Amarth are freakin awesome. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics because they aren't the everyday tales of lost love and such. They are about war and dying with honor. In the first track, "Valhall Awaits Me," he talks about going to war and dying in battle. His soul goes to Valhall (I always thought it was Valhalla) which is like the "heaven" of norse mythology. His skills as a singer can't really be measured, since he's not really singing, but I love the deep growling vocals! // 10

Overall Impression: The music on the album is not too complex, but it doesn't need to be does it? The music sounds great, but they're guitarists can't really compare with the likes of other modern metal guitarists, such as Dragonforce's Herman Li and Sam Totman, Lamb of God's Willie Adler and Mark Morton, and Jon Donais and Matt Bachnad of Shadows Fall. The drums are your typical metal band's double bass drumming, nothing special. I love the lyrics and guitars, but the songs sometimes get repetetive about halfway through. // 8

With Oden On Our Side Reviewed by: arc41190, on january 05, 2007

Sound: The sound of the album, With Oden On Our Side, is very good. Thier music is amazing, they really know how to make great music. It seems as if the CD is a story of an army preparing for war. They use the same style they always have, a melotic, often time hard melody followed by a breakdown consisting of tremelo picking on the guitar. This CD is one of the best from Amon Amarth and I love it. // 10

Lyrics: Like always the lyrics talk about war and ancient gods. Like all othe AA CD's the lyrics are great. The lyrics go great with the music like on all the other Amon Amarth CDs. Johan Hegg is a great growler who has great skills. He has great sound, ability, and range. // 10

Overall Impression: Amon Amarth doesn't really compare with other bands, they have thir own styles and they are great ones. Some impressive songs are Valhall Awaits Me, Cry Of The Blackbirds, Runes To My Memory, With Oden On Our Side, and Asator. I love the style, the lyrics, and the guitars they are all great. If it was stolen or lot I would deffinatley go get another one asap. // 9

With Oden On Our Side Reviewed by: The Black Salts, on june 11, 2007

Sound: Amon Amarth are a heavy, charging-with-a-spear-on-horseback kind of death metal band. Arguably Black metal as well because of some anti-Christian lyrics and tremolo picking, however they consider themselves more death metal than anything. 'With Oden On Our Side' seems to revolve around the end of the Viking age when the Norse are forced out of their homeland and into North America. The rest are just classic Norse God inspired songs that are a lot faster than 'Fate of Norns' or 'Versus the World'. The pace reminds me a little of 'The Avenger' but with better sound quality. The melodies, as usual, are amazing. Anyways, 'Oden On Our Side' punches you in the face a lot harder than their previous album. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are typical Medieval battle-themed descriptions of cutting down enemies, embracing death and fearing the all-powerful Norse Gods, etc. As I said, the lyrics seem to point towards the Viking migration across the ocean to other lands after their extinction in Europe. The adventurous melodies match the words and story well. Johan's range seems to have honed itself to perfection, however the production company may be the one to thank as well. I can't give too much credit to them because they've been writing about the same things since their first album, so in terms of originality they lose some point. They could have at least branched off to another aspect of Norse mythology instead of battles and Gods. // 8

Overall Impression: The songs that are most impressive are Valhall Awaits Me, Asator, Gods of War Arise, and Cry of the Blackbirds. Prediction of Warfare really gets on your nerves after a few listens because the riffage is too basic. Same goes for Runes to my Memory. Loki's Ride to Hel has the typical heavy punches common in Amon Amarth songs but the main melody that starts the song off isn't too great. Under the Northern Star is the slow song of the album and doesn't get you moving much, however it's still a great song and has a good melody. Valhall Awaits Me is basically the best Album launcher I've ever heard in my life: Fast, heavy, melodic, and a fantastic atmosphere that sets up the rest of the album perfectly. Asator probably stands out most even while being the shortest song of the album with Cry of the Blackbirds; something about it, and it's probably the repeated riff that starts every new part of the song, is just so fast and viking-like it makes the song more memorable than the others. If 'Oden On Our Side' were stolen from me I would do what happens to most Amon Amarth Victims. Die. Or maybe I'd just go and buy it again. Probably that. // 9

With Oden On Our Side Reviewed by: Ulalume, on march 25, 2008

Sound: Amon Amarth has a pretty incredible sound. They are concidered melodic death metal, and they fit that label very well. First and foremost the lead vocalist has very deep screams, they are quite amazing to listen too. Why? Why does his vocals stand out from many other death metal bands? Because they almost sound clean. It is pretty easy to comprehend what is being said through the screaming, yet his screaming still is enjoyable. The guitars backing him are pretty simple, yet give off a soothing atmosphere. It is interesting to see how well melodic playing goes with some bone-crushing grunts. It's quite enjoyable. Last, it's important for everyone to know that Amon Amarth is all about vikings. Check out some live videos and you'll see them wearing cufflings, and running amuck as if to pillage. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fascinating, to say the least. They're enjoyable to blast and sing to in the car. They all tend to be about vikings and Norse mythology (Oden is a viking god). The lyrics tend to be violent (but not overly). Here is a stanza from "Valhall Awaits Me": "I rip the axe from the head/Covered in blood and brains/Leave the body lying dead/Ready to strike again." It doesn't get much worse than that (and personally it doesn't bother me). However, it is important people see this violence and are able to relate it to the viking stories they tell in their songs. If you can get past that, the lyrics are great. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is awesome. It's unique in comparison to so much bland death metal. Musically they are not the most complex, but they get the job done. Sometimes simplicity is best. In Amon Amarth's case, this is the truth. Standout songs: Cry of the Blackbirds, Valhall Awaits Me, Under the Northern Star, Gods of War Arise. // 10

More Amon Amarth reviews rating latest review