This Is Life Review

amy macdonald: This Is Life
Release Date: Jul 30, 2007
Label: Universal
Genres: Contemporary Singer/Songwriter, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
The eleven songs on This Is the Life combine a traditional, acoustic folk-rock sound with a youthful spirit and self-assured lyrics that veer between the observational and the confessional.
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
This Is Life Reviewed by: woodlandsclose, on september 24, 2007

Sound: The sound of Amy's voice is in my opinion unique. What made me but this album was a preview in the shop. She may not be big in America but in the UK most people know her. Most of her songs are acoustic and she plays the guitar herself. She is not one of those singers who just gets a band to play for her. Obviously there are a few other instruments in her songs and these are played by a small band but the songs do not rely on the band to make the song sound good. She certainly is my favourite female singer this year so far. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are original and that's what I like about her. They rhyme some of the time and the topic that she is singing about really interests me. The lyrics really fit into the tune well and once you have heard one of her songs once, you will be singing along and tapping your foot in time with the rhythm. The singer skills are like no other singer I have heard. She is not the stereotypical female pop singer with the almost fake like voice. She really has a unique sounding voice which is very distinctive. // 9

Overall Impression: It is hard to compare this to other artists or bands. She is a young Scottish girl who is most definately her own self and cannot be compared with her rivals. The most impressive song from the album is "Mr Rock and Roll". It is very upbeat and I was singing along after I first heard it. What I love about it is that it is ike no other CD that I have in my extensive collection. If it were stolen or lost I would strongly consider buying a new copy. I highly reccommend this album to anybody who wants a change from the boring pop songs that are being relaesed. // 10

Comments