Anadivine [EP] Review

anadivine: Anadivine [EP]
Release Date: Oct 21, 2003
Label: Sidecho
Genres: Post-Grunge, Emo
From the mildly frightening artwork on the album cover to the equally eyebrow-raising song titles, you're already in for a new exploration in emo music.
 6.5
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Anadivine [EP] Reviewed by: shabutie86, on january 25, 2008

Sound: When I first popped in Anadivines self titled CD I was not sure what exactly I was going to be listening to, but after hearing the intro track and the first song on the album entitled "Alcohol and Oxygen" I had a good idea of what I was in for. A prog rock style band reminiscent of Coheed and Cambria. As a matter of fact Claudio Sanchez the lead singer of Coheed and Cambria makes a cameo as he lays down backing vocals for two of the albums 8 tracks. Yeah I thought the album was a little short myself, but after listening to the album once over I was glad I had spent the 10 USD on ITunes for this album. The songs may very, as the first track Alcohol and Oxygen sounds a bit tame, suddenly there's slamming chords and screamo style vocals which make it a nice album to guess how it's going to hit you next. You could say the album takes from the trend that started over the last couple of years of popular punk pop sounds of My Chemical Romance, or Silverstein, and Paramore. It has all that but still with that progressive touch that makes the album oh so much more splendid. // 8

Lyrics: First I will start off with the singer. He sounds fairly good, nothing too outstanding as far as his singing goes. He doesn't catch me as the next big thing nor does he come off sounding like rubbish either. His raspy sort of exhausted sounding vocals lend well to the songs and he also proves early in the album that he can go screamo like the best of them. The lyrics themselves can be hard to hear clearly because of the state of the singers voice, it comes off raspy and a bit sloppy so being able to clearly hear him is a problem, but from what I hear seems to be a more generic heartbroken style lyrics. No fancy play on words can be found in these parts. With the exception of Claudio Sanchez's cameo on the track "Cross your heart" where Claudio brings in his own style of writing lyrics in his patented rhyme and poetry. // 6

Overall Impression: To compare it to what's out there now would be unjust as this band isn't big and this should be the first review of their album on Ultimate-Guitar.com. But from what I have heard through this album over the good couple of months I have had it I can say it's a solid generic pop-punk album with a lacking of tracks that may leave some buyers of the album with a sour taste in their mouthes. However it is definitely worth a listen to if only from a friends CD or mp3 player. it's not a album nor a band that crosses my mind at all during the regular day of music listening, and I really only listen to the album for the one or two outstanding tracks. // 7

Comments