Blueprints For The Black Market Review

anberlin: Blueprints For The Black Market
Released: May 6, 2003
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Tooth & Nail Records
It was released barely a year after the band formed, and was the only album that was released with guitarist Joey Bruce in the band line-up. Blueprints had one single, "Readyfuels", for which a music video was filmed.
 7.2
 6.7
 7.6
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Blueprints For The Black Market Reviewed by: TAOD4ever, on november 27, 2008

Sound: Blueprints for the Black Market is Anberlin's first CD, and it is amazing. From the pounding riffs of Readyfuels to the solemn and sweet ending of Nave Orleans this CD is amazing through and through. Songs such as: Glass to The Arson, The Undeveloped Story, and Change the World have intensely delightful metal melodies, while upholding their softer alternative sound in songs such as: Foreign Language, Autobahn, Cadence, and a nicely performed Love Song which is a cover song originally by The Cure. Anberlin's style is alternative but it's fresh, non-conformist. Anberlin creates a sound all their own, beautiful and sophisticated. // 7

Lyrics: Anberlin's vocalist (Steven Christian) has an amazing voice but his debut is anything but amazing. Christian has much better vocals on their next album Never Take Friendship Personal. But on this CD Cadence and Autobahn are songs in which Christian both struggles to get tone and power which he does in other songs. But despite his struggles I think Christian stands head and shoulders above most alternative singers of his day. He especially shines in songs such as Foreign Language Change the World (Lost Ones), We Dreamt in Heist and Nave Orleans But he also tries to get the intense edge but fails to in songs such as: Cold War Transmissions and Glass to The Arson. But overall the lyrics on this album are good, a cut above most, if not all. // 5

Overall Impression: This CD is very well done. I had heard A Day Late by Anberlin and was very impressed with them, so I bought Never Take Friendship Personal and liked it as well so I bought Blueprints for the Black Market, and was blown away. This CD is awesome! The Highlights from this CD are: Glass to The Arson, Autobahn, Love Song, and Nave Orleans. But The Crme de la crme is Readyfuels their main hit for this CD. This song is amazing and the vocals on it are also done well. I love this CD, besides the vocals being less than amazing at times, I really can't find anything wrong with it. // 8

More Anberlin reviews rating latest review
+ Devotion: Vital Special Edition 6.4 10/18/2013