The Lakehouse Recordings [EP] Review

Label: Self-released
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Lakehouse Recordings [EP] Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on february 09, 2012

Sound: Testosterone rockers Anchors tear and char with guitar thrusts that mangle and spire. The trio's latest release "The Lakehouse Recordings" EP builds momentum from the alternating peaks and lulls of "Phantoms" to the gripping glissandos in the guitar patterns and vocals along "Love Means Letting Go". The guitar tremors opening "The Weight Of A Hummingbird" trigger on separate pistons as the vocals fill in the creases. The rhythmic strikes grow rapidly inducing the guitar burns to intensify pushing the rock propulsion to Theory Of A Deadman. Every sound-byte of "The Lakehouse Recordings" is fueled by charring surges and beefy thrusts. It's hard rock done the way guitarists like to hear it, especially since all the members of Anchors are guitar players. Made up of Robert Parks on vocals and guitar, Brian Staples on vocals, guitar and piano, and Zach Bond on guitar, bass, and backup vocals, each one has clocked in plenty of time on the Warped Tour, and their recording shows it. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics read like poetry propagating symbolism in every verse. In "Phantoms", the verses have an introspective glint, "So what's the line between a dream and a lie? / In this body, I am useless / What's the line between a dream and a lie? / Close your eyes my time has come." The second number "Love Means Letting Go" inflicts self-torture as the verses examines, "Tarmac abounds the distance between us / Much like the distance from my head to the ground / I'm a fool, I'm a fool / I'm chasing an imprint of something I can't touch / The fruit of my labor / is nothing without an apple for my eyes / With distance / I'll decide if I have the heart / If I have the heart to stay." Their third track "The Weight Of A Hummingbird" is equally intense as the verses elude to a doomed existence, "The ester breath of my deathmaker looms above my bed / Their grave, solace speech, it brings me to my knees / What is it / What is it that I'm fighting for / My body is a prison / Forget the bars of steel / Truth be told, all flesh decays / Just in time for my final meal / I am nothing more than a ghost without a soul / Please save me / This chill inside my bones remains / You don't understand / No, not in the slightest / Escape is never permanent." // 9

Overall Impression: "The Lakehouse Recordings" revive a subgenre of rock that has lost its steam in the last few years, but the Anchors motivation to bring it back shows a genuineness that whets the listener's appetite for more. Some fans may think the album has come a few years too late, but on the reverse side, maybe a new wave of testosterone rock is one the horizon. If that's the case, Anchors will be one of the ones fronting that wave and building its speed. // 9

Comments