The Wolf Review

andrew w k: The Wolf
Released: September 9, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock
The Wolf is crammed so full of music that it can take a few listens to sink in.
 Lyrics: 7.7
 7.7
 8.7
 6.7
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
The Wolf Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2004

Sound: The Wolf has great party music. Get together with your friends and jam. The whole CD is the newer brand of hard rock. Many of the guitar riffs were basically the same note with some variation. Nothing really innovative. // 8

Lyrics: Basically, the lyrics say lets kick some ass and party all day, with one exception: it says "I Love You" (actually, he says "I'm really in love"). I wouldn't really say the lyrics are perfectly with the music, they sometimes get pretty independant sometimes. Andrew W.K. is a great singer for his particular brand of music. Not real melodic, but hits the notes. // 8

Overall Impression: I've never heard anything quite like Andrew W.K. all in all, he's pretty rockin and gets good backup from his band. All the songs were pretty good, but none really stand out as "impressive". I would definitely buy it again if it were stolen or "losted". Buy it. The track "Totally Stupid" is the theme for his T.V. show "Your Friend, Andrew W.K." on MTV2. // 8

The Wolf Reviewed by: JLJohnson_21, on october 13, 2004

Sound: I bought this cd after listening to Get Wet for about 2 weeks non-stop. At first I was kinda dissapointed cause most of the songs were slower paced than the last cd, but after a few listens I couldn't get em outta my head. The overall sound of the album is up-beat, with lot's of sweet guitar riffs and some nice keyboard work. // 10

Lyrics: If their is one weak point to AWK, it's his lyrics. Most of the songs seems like they say the same things over and over, like partying or being in love. And I wouldn't say that he has the greatest voice either, but there are some songs where he really shines. My sister told me he sounds like oscar the grouch though. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall I would say that The wolf is a better cd than Get wet. Personally I thought the best songs on the cd were last couple, like Totally Stupid, The End Of Our Lives and I Love Music. If you're sick of the boring and depressing rock out there today, you should definately buy this cd! If it were stolen I would just use the copy I burnt for my car stereo. // 10

The Wolf Reviewed by: busway27, on august 01, 2008

Sound: Andrew W.K. has been in my top 5 musicians since he debuted in 2001, his upbeat, pounding beats mixed with his thrashy, yet oddly happy voice and lyrics, created "I Get Wet" which you can't help but move to. His second album, "The Wolf", was a little different. This album is of critical importance to Andrew's music because of how big of a transition it is. The album does contain classic W.K. sound in some songs like "Long Live the Party" and "Tear It Up" but has a couple change-up songs like "Totally Stupid" and "The Song". In this album, W.K. added meaning to his songs as well as a plethera of loud party songs. This album was very under-rated because people wanted it to be straight party music, but now that his music has a little more depth, it is just as good as before, but a little different. // 10

Lyrics: His lyrics were overall about the same level as the lyrics of "I Get Wet", most of them were loud and repetitive, some were deeper, and some were paradoxal. "Make Sex" was, well, different. The entire song is "Wanna Make Sex, Wanna Make Sex, Whoa Oh", and variations on those lyrics for about 2 minutes. Other songs like "The Song" had a little depth, telling you to never lose "The Song" and keep singing it loud, much like never losing yourself and your style. Andrew W.K. is also, in my opinion, a very talented singer. He is able to muster anything from a deep growl, to a steady shout for a ballad. Overall, this album was well performed and written. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is mildy controversial in that it was very 50/50 among everyone who has ever listened to Andrew W.K. Throughout the 50 people I know who listen to Andrew, about half of them hated this album and said it was too different, and the other half, including me, couldn't wait for "Close Calls with Brick Walls". It was different, this is true, but many artists have a transitional phase/album that is, oddly enough, not a standout among their works, and that isn't right. "The Wolf" was a great change for W.K. because it added that certain something to his already epic party music. I would buy this album again. // 9

More Andrew W K reviews rating latest review