Joyland Review

9.7
 9.5
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Joyland Reviewed by: tricksy16, on april 16, 2010

Sound: Andy Mckee has had over a million views for songs such as Drifting, Into The Ocean and Rylynn, and now he's released another good collection of songs on his fourth album called Joyland. Once again it features great percussive tapping on tracks like Hunter's Moon and Blue Liquid, and beautiful melodic chord changes in all the songs. What's more, he's even got other instruments that play along like the glockenspiel in the intro for Joyland. A real treat if you like Preston Reed or Michael Hedges (Andy's done a cover of his song titled Layover in this album). // 10

Lyrics: This is a funny album to review the lyrics for because it doesn't have lyrics. Just beautifully constructed high melodies that completely go with the rhythmic thumb picked basslines. Honestly, if he had replaced the melodies with words, the music wouldn't have the same meanings as they do in this album. Listen to Everybody wants to rule the World, compare it to the original and see how cool it sounds without the words. // 10

Overall Impression: My one complaint is a tiny one, the tracks on this album take a couple of listens to get your head round all the complex changes that he effortlessly applies. Sometimes it's a little too much and compared to songs like Into The Ocean, it feels like a brain puzzle that soothes your mind at the same time. Nevertheless, I like all the songs, especially Away, My life as a CPA and Layover. If this album was stolen, I would get another copy instantly and set booby traps around it so the same thing doesn't happen again. // 9

More Andy Mckee reviews rating latest review