Love: Part Two Review

angels and airwaves: Love: Part Two
Released: Nov 11, 2011
Genre: Alternative Rock, Space Rock, Progressive Rock
Label: To The Stars Records
The bloated ambition of Angels & Airwaves is once again their great downfall.
 Lyrics: 6.8
 7.5
Love: Part Two Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 10, 2011

Sound: The futile pursuit of grandeur that occupies Tom DeLonge's Angels & Airwaves project is as funny as it is admirable. This album is the last instalment of a four-part package humbly entitled "Love", which includes two studio albums, a feature film and a live "multimedia event" which was held in August. Exactly why the Blink-182 frontman puts so much effort into covering his output with broad strokes of melodrama has been the subject of much speculation since AvA's debut in 2006 and it has already been announced that work is underway for another two albums and another two films. Potential titles on a postcard, please, but for now we have "Love II". Fans of the band won't be surprised or disappointed to hear the sounds of synthesizers and U2 delay being delivered in swathes over typical DeLonge progressions and melodies. In fact they won't be surprised by anything on offer here; there's a touch less distortion here and a tighter structure there but these are reheated ideas and that, to put it nicely, diminishes the sense of occasion somewhat. Frontloaded with singles, the album serves up a number of basic hooks to begin with, and they go off without a hitch on the groove-driven pairing of "Surrender" and "Anxiety". But soon afterwards, as the poorly executed "Moon As My Witness" passes, the album descends into a mess: a mess with no impact, no consequence and all too much filler. // 4

Lyrics: If there's one thing we know about great songwriters, though, it's that they have the freedom to repeat themselves musically if they've really got something to say. Unfortunately DeLonge's craftsmanship hasn't quite matured alongside his subject matter since Blink-182's heyday. The prevailing theme is, of course, love, and the concept is an exploration of its different meanings and manifestations, traceable if only after some attentiveness to press releases. To his credit the lyrics could be a lot more pretentious given the premise but line after isolated line is nonetheless spun out in his contrived tone, the soundness of the rhyme often prioritised over good narrative. "The ice is really cold/the street light's really old." Indeed, Tom, indeed. // 3

Overall Impression: The naivety with which Angels & Airwaves puff out their chests is quite bizarre. On a musical level "Love II" is certainly not the worst set of songs you've ever heard, but it's the self-importance of it all that kills it let us not forget that DeLonge claimed his band's sound would "change the face of rock 'n roll" back in 2006. Through sheer persistence and repetition, maybe they will one day, but it might be time to concede that their music and their thematic ambitions simply do not mix because this is the musical equivalent of Kubrick making "2001: A Space Odyssey" a romantic comedy: it'd be a good deal simpler, but you'd be just as lost. // 4

- Duncan Geddes aka duncang (c) 2011

Love: Part Two Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on january 05, 2012

Sound: What is the modern-day concept album? I have yet to officially review the third Angels And Airwaves release, "LOVE", and will briefly summarize before delving into its second part. Until the release of "LOVE", Angels And Airwaves had achieved success to and no further than the point of "another side project." Melodrama and overly simplistic lyrics have been the band's most obvious fault, but it seemed a vessel for frontman Tom DeLonge's post-182 style had come with the release of "LOVE" in 2010. Repetitious melodies and less-than-complex lyrics fall quite easily across the canvas of a concept album. This is no more true than in Green Day's "American Idiot". I counted five chords the entire album over. Regardless, it is fair to say that "LOVE" delivered on a scale much greater than any previous AVA release, if not quite up to scratch with some of Blink's best. Stylistically it was a bit murky, but overall packed a more powerful punch than many of the rest of the year's scattered releases, especially on the alternative and rock fronts. In the digital age, it seems only "post" genres are keeping up. "LOVE: Part II" is more of "LOVE". Anyone expecting otherwise is going to be sorely disappointed. This isn't "Dude Ranch" to "Blink-182". It would be fair to treat the two halves of "LOVE" as one would the two disks of Pink Floyd's "The Wall". There is very little distinction, stylistically, between the two releases. "Pt II" may, perhaps, be less in the veins of a spacey U2 than its predecessor. Further than that, they are two cohesive discs belonging to one album. One thing that can be said for "LOVE" is linear distinction. Though it's a difficult journey from song to song, there is a sense of progression throughout. This is evident in the second part as well, though only when taking the first into consideration. If "LOVE" asks questions, "Pt II" gets a few answers and ends on the resolve that some pursuits are left unfinished. True as this is, the record itself undergoes something of a disjointed process. Though "Saturday Love" is an excellent opener and "We Are All That We Are" is one of the band's best, the space in between is a bit empty. After four tracks or so, the same blending effect as experienced in the first part sets in, and it isn't until two or three songs before the end that it lightens. On one hand, the conceptual flow (with quite a few lyrical and melodic nods to "LOVE") is just as easy to get lost in (whether you are engaged or overwhelmed) as in the first album. On the other hand, the conceptual flow really is just as easy to get completely lost in as in the first album. 7/10; "Saturday Love" is too catchy to miss, and "We Are All That We Are" ends on such an intense note - guitar solo and all - that I have difficulty deciding which part of "LOVE" features the better ending. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrically, I think the "LOVE" project has been a bit underrated. Ingenious lyricism is expected for reasons I can't quite grasp. It's about love, guys. It isn't unfair, I should think, to say that such a collection would aim for a simpler understanding of a very broad (and broadly explored) concept. Exploration of life and love provokes other discussions, and so forth. Taking cues from this inevitable chain of ideas, it is only logical to keep as close as possible to the central concept. Complaints have been made about illiberal lyricism, but it is admittedly straining to imagine a more complex incarnation of "LOVE". Another advantage of DeLonge's uncomplicated writing is the ability throughout both parts of "LOVE" to follow an emotional trend and progression. Without any sort of convolution with story, "LOVE" has more than a few moments left to breathe. In listening to music, information is rapidly absorbed - as fluid as the album is, adding extra layers would serve only to confuse. "Pt I" especially has little emotional fat to trim. Why allow a followup to break the trend? Romance is one of the core elements of the two parts, which many find hard to digest. Fluff is quite a harbinger of indigestion. Fret not, friends. Hidden under the single-syllabic rhyming technique is a very approachable emotional story. Few seemed deterred when DeLonge used a similar style in his pre-"Neighborhoods" Blink days. Perhaps this was due to a familiarity with - or, as it were, listeners having "gotten used to" - his writing. A change as vast as Angels and Airwaves is to old-school fans of Blink-182 can certainly be jarring. One of the definite barriers between "LOVE" and recognition is that simple fact. The "LOVE" project succeeds overall because it knew what it wanted to achieve. It also succeeds in reconciling Tom DeLonge's melodrama with a grounded style in two albums that are much easier to get a hold of than the first couple. I doubt AVA will ever achieve what Blink did - few bands will. What they have provided is a pair of exploratory records that tread territory few address without getting a big head about it. // 8

Overall Impression: "LOVE" did not need a second part. It worked considerably well on its own and was a definite boost in credibility for the band. The second part adds another ideological layer and presents some of AVA's better tracks - especially with its opening, closing, and other bookend pieces - but with the effort itself being unnecessary, it would take a superb collection of truly innovative music to outdo or even add to "LOVE". "Pt II" is fun, to be certain, and I have a hard time condemning it with such spectacular additions to the AVA collection ("We Are All That We Are" being at the pinnacle). The "LOVE" project - two albums and a film - was a decent ride, but I wonder if it was slightly prolonged. // 6

Love: Part Two Reviewed by: -DeathByDisco-, on november 10, 2011

Sound: "Love: Part Two" is the fourth studio album by Angels & Airwaves. The album is the second Part of the "Love" project including two studio albums and a movie, also entitled "LOVE". It is also the last album to feature former drummer Atom Willard. Tom DeLonge, (Singer/Guitarist) often stated that this record is better than the first part of Love and that it is the best "Angels" record yet. But as you know, almost every musician feels that way about his new creation. To describe "Love: Part II" I use some lyrics from the song "Dry Your Eyes": "I can't complain / It's been good not great". The record is still quiet enjoyable and I think that there is not one bad song on this record BUT there's a bit to much melody-recycling on Tom's part, but I'm gonna get to that later. Angels & Airwaves don't break much new ground here but it's fine that way because they stick to what they are. 01. "Saturday Love": Best way to start this record. Got a quite long intro but then picks up really quickly as every AVA Intro-song does. The Chorus is very catchy! 02. "Surrender": Not a bad song at all! It actually deserves a 10 but I caught myself singing: "Cars crash through the streets The west end waves break city heats The east coast storms fill in the sky Winter weekends Cold, unbearable Life's so terrible" in the Chorus. Hey, wait! that's "Some Origins Of Fire" isn't it? Yup, Tom took the exact same melody an that what's bugs me a little bit about this song. 03. "Anxiety": Best song AVA has ever made! Kind of reminds me of "Hallucinations". It just has the same vibe. My favourite! 04. "Heroine (It's Not Over)": And Tom does it again... The song starts off SO WELL but when he sings: "She takes my hand and leads me in/it is not over" it is the exact same melody as the chorus of "Anxiety". Not bad, but I just don't get what Tom was thinking when he put this song right after "Anxiety". 05. "Moon As My Witness": "Oh please stay a while god, love your smile". Very mellow song but I'm always listening to it in the car. Gives me goosebumps. 06. "Dry Your Eyes": Starts off f--king amazing and doesn't lose it's appeal. In some way I don't think the chorus is catchy enough but it's still a good song. Reminds me of "Everything's Magic". 07. "The Revelator": The verses are a little weak but the chorus makes up for it! Still not very memorable. 08. "One Last Thing": I absolutely love this song. The beginning sounds like it could've been on "Neighborhoods" by Blink-182. The Chorus is just so amazing. I love it. 09. "Inertia": Sounds like Blink-182. The synths in the verses even sound a little like "Snake Charmer". 10. "Behold A Pale Horse": Not a bad song but maybe it needs to grow on me. I don't think it's very memorable. 11. "All That We Are": Slow ending. I haven't listened to it that much but yet again, perhaps it needs to grow on me. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great as always. Due to the fact that I'm not a native speaker they aren't really that important to me, but I think Tom really grew as a songwriter and lyricalist. Tom has been known for his bad live performances but of course that's not an issue on the record. His voice sounds like it did on "Neighborhoods" and for me that's a good thing. // 8

Overall Impression: In the end you can't say that this album is better than the other records... It is just as good! The most impressive songs would be: "Saturday Love" "Anxiety" "Dry Your Eyes" "One Last Thing" "Inertia" At the moment I just know the leak of it but I already pre-ordered the record and if it were stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again because this record needs to be on your CD shelf if you're an AVA fan. If you liked the previous efforts of AVA you propably will like this record too but if you hated them you should stay away from "Love: Part Two". // 8

Love: Part Two Reviewed by: topotopo1, on december 02, 2011

Sound: So, this is my first review. I'm a French man, so I'll do my best to give you a good grammar, as I can. I discovered Angels And Airwaves for now 2 months, and this album is the most complete according to me. I don't especially like Tom DeLonge, even if I respect him as an artist who make me love Blink-182 and especially "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket", "Neighborhoods" and some songs from "Ennema Of The State". I discovered one song from AvA 3 years ago, it was in a "Rock Band" video game, and this song "It Hurts" made me fallen in love. I didn't know the correlation between AvA and Blink-182 and it was such a surprise to be aware of this fact. So, to get back on the CD, I find it's a great album. Not the best I've ever heard but still a good job. My favorite musical styles are Rock (as Foo Fighters)/Alternative (as Rise Against)/Punk (as Sum 41 and Blink-182)/Metal (as Metallica), so I listened carefully to this album to have a very precised idea of what I'm talking about. The whole 11tracks are great but Behind a Pale Horse which is making me crazy because of repetitions of "It's such a strange celebration...". Cannot stand this song anymore. The four first tracks are very cool, and I got a preference to "My Heroine (It's Not Over)" also know as "Crawl". "Surrender" and "Anxiety" are both very interresting, even if the introduction song "Saturday Love" isn't the best song ever. It feels to me like an teenage song ("I've been sixteen and a Saturday Love..."), and Tom DeLonge is worth more than this kind of lyrics. The 8th track "One Last Thing" has a very cool synthetized riff but I find the song too short (2:54). And comes at the 10th track the worst song of this album: "Behold A Pale Horse". Repetitive music, repetitive chorus... All that I hate. The last song "All That We Are" is a calm song, a quite well end of an album. // 7

Lyrics: I didn't study lyrics yet, but it seems turning around repeating themes as love, conscious. Nothing genious, it didn't blow me as I could be with some Rise Against or Foo Fighters lyrics. I use to quote some lyrics of songs that I like, but the only quotation that I picked was "But I found one last thing to believe in", extracted from the 8th track "One Last Thing". // 6

Overall Impression: So, this is a globally good album. The most complete from Angels & Airwaves, for sure. The four first tracks are very good, but the rest of the CD isn't worth it that much. The kind of Interlude which represents "Moon As My Witness" cut the good dynamic of the album. It's boring because everything seemed right until that. I hope you found this review helpful, and don't forget to comment. // 7

Love: Part Two Reviewed by: MrVanea14, on may 22, 2012

Sound: Angels And Airwaves a mixture of punk, alternative, stadium rock and space rock. Tom Delonge leads this group to places no other band dares to go. I highly recommend that you set time aside to do nothing but simply listen to this album. Yes, it needs its own event. If you did not like AVA's CD's in the past, I doubt you will like this CD. // 10

Lyrics: Using a mixture of the philosophical lyrics seen in AVA and the "catchiness" he leaned from Blink, Tom Delonge has done it again. Tom's voice is absolutely amazing in this album. It is used as being strong and powerful ("My Heroine"), as well as being hauntingly beautiful ("All That We Are"). // 9

Overall Impression: 01. "Saturday Love" - This song originally made for their trailer. Tom obviously made a good choice and turned it into a fantastic opener. Rivals Valkyrie Missiles for being their greatest opener. Really starts off the CD with a bang. Expect shivers during the intro. 02. "Surrender" - Its a good song. Not great. I felt this was AVA's attempt to get a single that gained a lot of airplay. They used a very basic hook and ran with it. Intro lyric were good but the lyrics in the chorus seemed cheesy. The cheesy lyrics of "from the white house lawn to the middle east" were the only reason this wasn't a stand out for me. 03. "Anxiety" - A good choice for their first single. Very catchy and an easy listener. The guitar riffs are subtly powerful during the chorus. The piano was also a nice new and fresh touch. Perfect segue into "My Heroine". 04. "My Heroine (It's Not Over)" - Love this song! The ending of "Anxiety" adds so well to the song. The lyrics are absolutely genius and powerful. "She speaks the word to make me grin. Can i please have her" This song is probably the best on the album. 05. "Moon As My Witness" - Best lyric of the album. "Oh please, stay awhile. God I love your smile" It fits great into the CD but is frustrating to listen to by itself due to the long and dull instrumental. 06. "Dry Your Eyes" - When I first heard this I was instantly mad at Tom. It is the exact same melody as "Everything's Magic", with an added annoying twist. The half step is instantly annoying and out of place. But take my word for it, it grows on you so much. This song is now one of my favorite on the album. The intro is so amazing! Different spin on a break up song. 07. "The Revelator" - The intro bass line is a fun and catchy addition tot he album. The lyrics are quite deep and very philosophical. Interlude is a little boring but it leads perfectly into the driving drums of "One Last Thing". 08. "One Last Thing" - This song drives and builds so well. The movie quotes are a little annoying. 09. "Inertia" - Continues the trend of amazing intros. Other than the guitar riff, the song is a little boring. Again the movie quotes seem unneeded. Its still a very easy listening song. I felt this was a little bit of a filler song so that they could use the guitar riff. 10. "Behold A Pale Horse" - I liked it initially but it has grow so much on me. David's background singing is somehow my favorite part of the song. A very good example of AVA's ability to build songs. 11. "All That We Are" - B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. The lyrics are very sad and well written. The build of the song into the solo is a masterpiece. As the guitar solo begins, you know it's going to be good. This is by far AVA's best ending song from their 4 CD's. "Love Part II" rivals their debut CD "Whisper". I loved almost everything about this album. This is a must buy. The only thing I didn't like is how they put movie quotes into the CD. If I lost this CD, I would cry. I would race to the store to buy it and then I would surgically attach it to my body. // 10

More Angels And Airwaves reviews rating latest review